Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 12-02-2018

(12-01-2018, 05:52 PM)timio Wrote: I spent 3 months working 411 at Nordia before they outsourced (and the summer before at the location near Sarnia, coincidentally in what used to be the school I had grade 7/8 in).  Not a terrible job, and I enjoyed riding my bike up and down the parking garage with only one wipeout to speak of.

I used to work at Braun's Bike shop back in the day and that definitely happened from time to time just for some fun

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 12-02-2018

(12-02-2018, 09:10 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Lots more people moving downtown … but most condo buildings (and many newer apartment buildings) have their own fitness rooms. No instructors, but the basic equipment is enough for most people, making it more difficult for a downtown gym to find enough customers to be profitable.

I don't know that this is entirely true, the building I live in, as well the Kaufman lofts have nothing, when I was in a building with a fitness room, basic is putting it generously, most I've seen really just have cardio machines.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 12-03-2018

I think it's fair to say that a lot of new places have fitness rooms, but I know I personally always liked getting out to go workout. It's just like having a weight room in your basement, (for some) it's easier to put off because it's just downstairs, whereas going somewhere becomes part of your routine.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - clasher - 12-03-2018

Free weights would be essential if I were to use a condo gym over going to a gym.

The gym at the raquet club is almost as expensive as a membership at movati... which isn't downtown and thus not convenient but it's probably the nicest gym in the region.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 12-03-2018

Our building has cardio (treadmills, ellipticals, two types of bicycles and rowing). We had free weights and a weight stack but both have been replaced by hydraulic machines due to noise issues (fitness room on the top floor is generally not a good idea!). Still have dumbbells but it's not the ultimate weight training setup for sure.

But cardio is what most people want, though, and that's why those machines are most common.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 12-03-2018

(12-03-2018, 10:26 AM)Spokes Wrote: I think it's fair to say that a lot of new places have fitness rooms, but I know I personally always liked getting out to go workout.  It's just like having a weight room in your basement, (for some) it's easier to put off because it's just downstairs, whereas going somewhere becomes part of your routine.

Ironically, I'm the opposite, if it's in my building (at work or at home) I'm far more likely to do it, than if I have to make a special trip.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - clasher - 12-03-2018

(12-03-2018, 11:34 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 10:26 AM)Spokes Wrote: I think it's fair to say that a lot of new places have fitness rooms, but I know I personally always liked getting out to go workout.  It's just like having a weight room in your basement, (for some) it's easier to put off because it's just downstairs, whereas going somewhere becomes part of your routine.

Ironically, I'm the opposite, if it's in my building (at work or at home) I'm far more likely to do it, than if I have to make a special trip.

Same here, that's why I just went the home gym route... right now I have a hard time not doing a few sets every time I walk by it.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Square - 12-03-2018

Sorry, been a rough last few weeks.  On Monday November 12, I saw machines drilling holes in the EIWO parking lot at the corner of Weber and Scott St.  Is this a sign that the proposed 11 story building will FINALLY begin?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Lens - 12-04-2018

Pretty massive changes coming to 22 Frederick (another Europro building): https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq-Hp6Nghv5/

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 12-04-2018

Is that front piece (that currently says 22 Frederick) connected to the building? Does it contain usable space at the moment? I always thought it was an unnecessarily large awning of sorts.

What an odd thing to change it into, looks like a little isolated spaceship pod.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - clasher - 12-04-2018

The spacepod kind of looks like a bar or cafe in the instagram post. I guess more food options would be nice since there's not much left in Market Square...

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Momo26 - 12-04-2018

Latest rumor is that a Fit4Less will open in Goodlife Market Square's space in Spring 2019. Or I'd assume part of that space since Fit4Less' are usually smaller than Goodlife's if I'm not mistaken, and carry less free weight options.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 12-04-2018

It contains a large conference room at the moment, if I'm not mistaken.

Will the walkway to Market Square be retained? Will its design change?

EDIT: I just saw it in the Instagram comments - they're keeping the bridge.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Momo26 - 12-04-2018

If we could fast-forward 4 years form now, will DTK be recognizable? It will definitely look different/better.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 12-04-2018

(12-04-2018, 12:45 PM)Lens Wrote: Pretty massive changes coming to 22 Frederick (another Europro building): https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq-Hp6Nghv5/

The podium rework aside, it looks like they will be putting aluminium cladding on top of the existing brick, rather than doing a major rework. This makes sense also because I have been noticing brick deterioration on the building; the cladding will allow them to address those, and also improve the R-value of the exterior walls. 

And that's in addition to the facelift.