Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Downtowns (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 10-30-2018

I too am relieved its not a driveway. A patio would be a huge bonus. That being said, a full streetwall would be the best case scenario here. But that's not happening.

Maybe I'll be surprised.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 10-30-2018

I don't mind some small gaps in the streetwall. But I prefer for them not to be driveways or garage entrances, let alone parking lots.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 10-30-2018

Speaking of gaps in the streetscape, I sure wish they'd do *something* with this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4494185,-80.4882826,3a,75y,28.65h,90.7t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1s6gKDua2nq7tG-ml075vcPw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D6gKDua2nq7tG-ml075vcPw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.TACTILE.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D96%26h%3D64%26yaw%3D7.3516936%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100

As far as parking lots go, it's one of the better ones, but it's so central, and so dead. A park would be fine but pretty much anything but parking lot. I don't see it on the City's parking lot list, so I assume it's owned by a private company, so I have some hope that it could be developed with the right easing of parking requirements.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 10-30-2018

Wasn't there a proposal for that a few years ago? Or at least a concept?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 10-30-2018

(10-30-2018, 09:41 PM)Spokes Wrote: Wasn't there a proposal for that a few years ago?  Or at least a concept?

There have been a number of proposals over the years.  DTK is lousy with never-built proposals.

The neighbour to the immediate west of this site is a mystery - they went to the trouble of building a red brick reproduction at the end of the American Hotel block, right down to faux windows on the side, but then never completed the interior.  What's up with that?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - BruceAshe - 10-31-2018

The neighbour to the immediate west of this site is a mystery - they went to the trouble of building a red brick reproduction at the end of the American Hotel block, right down to faux windows on the side, but then never completed the interior.  What's up with that?

Weren't they ordered to fix up the exterior after it sat in a burnt out state for awhile? Might  have just done their bare legal obligation and decided to leave it like that.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 10-31-2018

But isn't part of this a city owned lot? Or is it privately owned?

I just know I've parked there when going to Crabbys

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 10-31-2018

(10-31-2018, 08:31 AM)Spokes Wrote: But isn't part of this a city owned lot?  Or is it privately owned?  

I just know I've parked there when going to Crabbys

I can't find it on the city's parking lot map, so I assume it's a privately owned map.  So it would be open to redevelopment so long as a) the property owner felt it was worth more as something other than a parking lot, and b) parking minimums didn't preclude development.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 10-31-2018

(10-30-2018, 09:30 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Speaking of gaps in the streetscape, I sure wish they'd do *something* with this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4494185,-80.4882826,3a,75y,28.65h,90.7t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1s6gKDua2nq7tG-ml075vcPw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D6gKDua2nq7tG-ml075vcPw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.TACTILE.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D96%26h%3D64%26yaw%3D7.3516936%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100

As far as parking lots go, it's one of the better ones, but it's so central, and so dead.  A park would be fine but pretty much anything but parking lot.  I don't see it on the City's parking lot list, so I assume it's owned by a private company, so I have some hope that it could be developed with the right easing of parking requirements.

I knew there was something specific I was thinking of.  32 King Street East Proposal from Feb 2015

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 10-31-2018

(10-30-2018, 09:30 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Speaking of gaps in the streetscape, I sure wish they'd do *something* with this:

As far as parking lots go, it's one of the better ones, but it's so central, and so dead.  A park would be fine but pretty much anything but parking lot.  I don't see it on the City's parking lot list, so I assume it's owned by a private company, so I have some hope that it could be developed with the right easing of parking requirements.

It was owned by DREAM, so presumably it's now EuroPro.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 10-31-2018

Fakoury's auto service at Weber and Victoria has recently closed, and from a friend who was a long-time client, supposedly that site is targeted for redevelopment. This one would be interesting because it's a very small lot on a very busy corner, and it is adjacent to a lot of low-income/personal support services, also on Victoria. The possibility of safe injection site being on Water street would change the proposition, and the government announced recently that no new injection sites would be allowed (whether ours was far enough along to get through, I don't know).

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 10-31-2018

(10-31-2018, 03:20 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Fakoury's auto service at Weber and Victoria has recently closed, and from a friend who was a long-time client, supposedly that site is targeted for redevelopment. This one would be interesting because it's a very small lot on a very busy corner, and it is adjacent to a lot of low-income/personal support services, also on Victoria. The possibility of safe injection site being on Water street would change the proposition, and the government announced recently that no new injection sites would be allowed (whether ours was far enough along to get through, I don't know).

Perhaps best used as an expansion of the neighbouring services?  Eg a residential annex for House of Friendship?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 10-31-2018

(10-31-2018, 05:49 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(10-31-2018, 03:20 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Fakoury's auto service at Weber and Victoria has recently closed, and from a friend who was a long-time client, supposedly that site is targeted for redevelopment. This one would be interesting because it's a very small lot on a very busy corner, and it is adjacent to a lot of low-income/personal support services, also on Victoria. The possibility of safe injection site being on Water street would change the proposition, and the government announced recently that no new injection sites would be allowed (whether ours was far enough along to get through, I don't know).

Perhaps best used as an expansion of the neighbouring services?  Eg a residential annex for House of Friendship?

I have nothing against that use, but given the legally mandated site remediation that will likely need to be done (due to oil, gas , chemicals, etc), it's likely that only those looking to make some big money want to undertake that.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 11-01-2018

Wasn't it listed for sale recently?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jgsz - 11-01-2018

It would be very interesting if Fakoury's and 97 Victoria Street North would be developed as one project.  97 Victoria was one of the old post and beam button factories that dotted downtown Kitchener many years ago.  I have seen no plans for either building but it could be an appealing gateway to the Innovation District.