Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Downtowns (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 11-05-2018

What should be done is to hold council to account. We'll have the old proposal, and now a new proposal. If we see that the affordable portion is completely removed, average rents have gone up 50%, and the assessable tax base bump has been cut in half, we'll be able to ask is this really a perpetual eternal cost worth bearing?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 11-05-2018

I believe they need more than a strict majority to override the previous decision. There may even be restrictions on raising the issue a second time.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 11-05-2018

(11-05-2018, 12:06 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I believe they need more than a strict majority to override the previous decision.  There may even be restrictions on raising the issue a second time.

I believe it's a 2/3 majority to override a prior decision, so it would require an 8-3 vote (when it was exactly that in the opposite direction last time).

The new proposal looks pretty good, even if the two houses in front of the development do look pretty silly. But the rents are bound to be higher.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 11-05-2018

Wait, are there images floating around already?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 11-05-2018

(11-05-2018, 02:19 PM)Spokes Wrote: Wait, are there images floating around already?

No, not yet. I saw a rendering but there are none online as far as I know. Hopefully after tomorrow's meeting.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-07-2018

(11-05-2018, 03:03 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(11-05-2018, 02:19 PM)Spokes Wrote: Wait, are there images floating around already?

No, not yet. I saw a rendering but there are none online as far as I know. Hopefully after tomorrow's meeting.

Today's Record has a report on the revised proposal, but no render.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 11-07-2018

Print only maybe? I'm not seeing anything online

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - creative - 11-07-2018

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/9020339-queen-street-redevelopment-plans-will-allow-highrise-while-saving-heritage-homes/

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 11-07-2018

Well I'm glad there's some movement in the right direction here from a density standpoint.  I hope for good things from a design perspective, but this quote doesn't leave me excited:

Quote:Others hoped the design would be improved as it works its way through site plan approval and heritage approvals.

"I feel it is very much the minimum," said committee chair Ashley Reid. "Frankly, I find the building just kind of boring. I was hoping for something a little bit more creative."

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 11-07-2018

I prefer the original design, but the new one is not terrible. It certainly could be much better if the heritage advocates (hello, Ms Reid!) had not forced Vive to keep the two old houses on the property. That constraint significantly reduces the degrees of freedom for the development project.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Momo26 - 11-07-2018

Where exactly on Queen is this? That pic close to the GO station? What does the new rendering look like? And are these going to be corp owned rentals only or sold condos?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - taylortbb - 11-07-2018

(11-07-2018, 04:02 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Where exactly on Queen is this? That pic close to the GO station? What does the new rendering look like? And are these going to be corp owned rentals only or sold condos?

It's on Queen S between Joseph and Courtland, across from the Conestoga Towers high rise. Not close to the GO station.

I think corp owned rentals, that seems to be Vive's business model.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 11-07-2018

(11-07-2018, 03:56 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I prefer the original design, but the new one is not terrible. It certainly could be much better if the heritage advocates (hello, Ms Reid!) had not forced Vive to keep the two old houses on the property. That constraint significantly reduces the degrees of freedom for the development project.

Yeah, it is pretty rich for the heritage committee to be saying that. They're the ones who caused the design to be so plain. Frankly, I feel they have caused themselves to be a net detriment to the city. I wasn't around during peak urban renewal times, and maybe such a committee is justified, but in my experience, all I've seen is harm from heritage advocates.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - clasher - 11-07-2018

Does anyone have a picture of the new design?

Also does ROOF has a new home yet? Doesn't that have to happen before they'll be able to build anything?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 11-07-2018

I'm told we'll have a high-quality render available shortly.

Yes, ROOF will have a new home. I don't have any specific details on that though.