Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Downtowns (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)



RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 11-07-2018

Another important detail that isn't in the article is how the unit type will be changing. Are average square-footages going down, are average rents going up, are affordable components going down? Any of these are a cost that council and heritage has to answer to.


RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 11-07-2018

(11-07-2018, 05:27 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Another important detail that isn't in the article is how the unit type will be changing. Are average square-footages going down, are average rents going up, are affordable components going down? Any of these are a cost that council and heritage has to answer to.

Average rents are going up: the project is more expensive than the original. I don't have answers yet for the other questions though.


RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 11-07-2018

(11-07-2018, 03:56 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I prefer the original design, but the new one is not terrible. It certainly could be much better if the heritage advocates (hello, Ms Reid!) had not forced Vive to keep the two old houses on the property. That constraint significantly reduces the degrees of freedom for the development project.

I know the new design isn't public yet, but was the old one?  I don't remember seeing it.


RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 11-07-2018

(05-21-2018, 08:20 PM)tomh009 Wrote: 242 Queen St E in Kitchener doesn't really exist … so where is this project? This is from
http://neoarchitecture.ca/our-work/

[Image: 04_242QueenStreetEastCondo_Kitchener_Con...24x532.jpg]

This is the original render (seen from behind the building) -- which was rejected by the council.


RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 11-07-2018

Thanks Tom. Curious to see the new project. I'm always interested how developers will integrate heritage buildings.


RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 11-10-2018

Looks like Vive Development is snatching up properties in the East end of DTK

Quote:Across the street at 388-400 King St. E., Vive Development has plans to tear down two homes that have been converted to businesses, and build a seven-storey, 72-unit apartment building. In a report to the city's committee of adjustment, city planners said the proposal "will allow redevelopment of a property that is rundown with new, mixed-use transit-oriented, pedestrian-friendly development that will help achieve the city's objectives for the central transit corridor."


[attachment=5752]


According to this, they're calling it The Market Flats:

Quote:Description: 6-story 73-unit purpose-built rental apartment building proposed on an infill site which sits on the main public transit route in Downtown Kitchener. Situated on .40 acres, the design currently contemplates a net leasable floor area of 55,522 square feet and construction is scheduled to begin in 2019.



RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 11-10-2018

Further down King too:

Quote:Another major project is in the works a bit further down King Street. Vive has been buying up property in the block bounded by King, Ottawa and Charles streets and Borden Avenue, and now owns close to two acres in the block, where it hopes to build 500 or more rental units, said Stephen Litt, a principal at Vive.

The development is in the early stages, but it will likely be built in phases over the next several years, Litt said. It could include a grocery store as well as hundreds of apartments priced in the mid-range. He sees the site as having great potential as a gateway to the downtown.



RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-10-2018

(11-10-2018, 01:00 AM)Spokes Wrote: Looks like Vive Development is snatching up properties in the East end of DTK

Quote:Across the street at 388-400 King St. E., Vive Development has plans to tear down two homes that have been converted to businesses, and build a seven-storey, 72-unit apartment building. In a report to the city's committee of adjustment, city planners said the proposal "will allow redevelopment of a property that is rundown with new, mixed-use transit-oriented, pedestrian-friendly development that will help achieve the city's objectives for the central transit corridor."





According to this, they're calling it The Market Flats:

Quote:Description: 6-story 73-unit purpose-built rental apartment building proposed on an infill site which sits on the main public transit route in Downtown Kitchener. Situated on .40 acres, the design currently contemplates a net leasable floor area of 55,522 square feet and construction is scheduled to begin in 2019.

Where was the quote taken from?  Is this proposal still making progress toward a construction start in 2019?


RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-10-2018

(11-10-2018, 01:00 AM)Spokes Wrote: Further down King too:

Quote:Another major project is in the works a bit further down King Street. Vive has been buying up property in the block bounded by King, Ottawa and Charles streets and Borden Avenue, and now owns close to two acres in the block, where it hopes to build 500 or more rental units, said Stephen Litt, a principal at Vive.

The development is in the early stages, but it will likely be built in phases over the next several years, Litt said. It could include a grocery store as well as hundreds of apartments priced in the mid-range. He sees the site as having great potential as a gateway to the downtown.

A perfect block for redevelopment - as long as they save the old Onward Mfg building (is it heritage protected, I wonder?).  Is one allowed to be sceptical about developments that "could" include a supermarket?


RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 11-10-2018

(11-10-2018, 09:55 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Is one allowed to be sceptical about developments that "could" include a supermarket?

As long as the project does not hinge on signing up a supermarket as a tenant, that shouldn't affect its viability. But having a space that is suitable for a supermarket doesn't mean that one will sign up and lease that space.


RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-10-2018

(11-10-2018, 03:38 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(11-10-2018, 09:55 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Is one allowed to be sceptical about developments that "could" include a supermarket?

As long as the project does not hinge on signing up a supermarket as a tenant, that shouldn't affect its viability. But having a space that is suitable for a supermarket doesn't mean that one will sign up and lease that space.

I was unclear - my scepticism relates to the likelihood of a supermarket, not to the development itself.


RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 11-10-2018

(11-10-2018, 03:53 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-10-2018, 03:38 PM)tomh009 Wrote: As long as the project does not hinge on signing up a supermarket as a tenant, that shouldn't affect its viability. But having a space that is suitable for a supermarket doesn't mean that one will sign up and lease that space.

I was unclear - my scepticism relates to the likelihood of a supermarket, not to the development itself.

Ah, yes. I'm confident that we'll get a mainstream (put possibly urban-sized) supermarket downtown. Some day. But whether it's in the next three, six or sixteen years, I really don't know.

In the meantime, grocery selection downtown is pretty decent now (SDM, J&P, Legacy Greens, the market, Hasty Market, New City and BT) so I'm not desperate. Smile


RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 11-11-2018

(11-10-2018, 09:52 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-10-2018, 01:00 AM)Spokes Wrote: Looks like Vive Development is snatching up properties in the East end of DTK






According to this, they're calling it The Market Flats:

Where was the quote taken from?  Is this proposal still making progress toward a construction start in 2019?

https://www.rosecorp.com/investment/the-market-flats/

As for progress, I have no idea, this is the first I've heard of it.