Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

Re: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 09-06-2014

519 Wrote:Protected or not, the home has some heritage value. However, I would still prefer to see a high density building to go up on that corner with perhaps a couple of small retail units on the main floor.

Does it? How old is the building? Not everything that looks old is worth protecting.

Re: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MacBerry - 09-06-2014

panamaniac Wrote:I'd have to go by and look, but I think there's room for something taller behind the original house, not to mention the parking lot across the street. On the other hand, the current structure has, among other things, a chapel that seats 200 people, which makes me wonder about other possible uses for the existing building. Would a restaurant in the original house be creepy? How about a churcth or a cultural venue of some sort?

Maybe the Church of the People Eaters?

Foodie stuff: Thursday night specials and the People Eating Annual Tastings Festival every October 31st (PEAT Festival) :lol: #jk

Re: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 09-06-2014

tomh009 Wrote:
519 Wrote:Protected or not, the home has some heritage value. However, I would still prefer to see a high density building to go up on that corner with perhaps a couple of small retail units on the main floor.

Does it? How old is the building? Not everything that looks old is worth protecting.

I think the original house would date back to the 1880s, judging by the style. It has some very good detailing along the roofline. I don't know if the front porch is original to the house, but it is impressive. I wonder if it was always stucco or if that was applied later (over yellow brick?). It has undergone a lot of alterations over the years, both inside and out. I'm trying to remember if it has the original staircase, but I can't picture it - it's a long time since I've been inside and, the times I was, my mind was on other matters......

Re: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 09-07-2014

tomh009 Wrote:

Tell that to heritage Kitchener. They protect some of the most undeserving properties ever.

Re: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - mpd618 - 09-07-2014

Spokes Wrote:Tell that to heritage Kitchener. They protect some of the most undeserving properties ever.

Oh really?

Re: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 09-07-2014

mpd618 Wrote:
Spokes Wrote:Tell that to heritage Kitchener. They protect some of the most undeserving properties ever.

Oh really?

Or they try to at least. I think. Disagree?

Re: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 09-07-2014

More people live, work downtown

Waterloo Region Record
By Catherine Thompson

KITCHENER — More and more people are living and working in Kitchener's downtown, according to the latest figures from the city's planning department.

From mid-June 2013 to mid-June 2014, about 1,300 more jobs moved downtown, according to the figures from the city's growth management strategy, mainly because of continued growth in the tech sector. ...

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/483 ... -downtown/

Re: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 09-08-2014

My camera has crapped out on me, so no pictures, but I noticed today that the window frames are going into the new Beer Store at King and Francis St. They look pretty good, with the street level faux windows matching the windows on either side of the entrance. On the second floor, the faux windows look like sash windows (one up one down). As much as it pains me to say anything good about the Beer Store, it seems some thought actually went into the exterior of this one.

Re: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 09-11-2014

Renovations are continuing at 22 Charles St West (next to the building housing Thalmic Labs), A new glass front is being installed in the entrance/stairwell and new windows are being installed on the second floor. Not sure who occupies the building, if anyone, but it should look better when the work is completed.

Re: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 09-15-2014

208 to 216 breithaupt st have been demolished to make way for a new parking lot.

[Image: 208-216BREITHAUPTST.png]

[Image: 208-216BREITHAUPTST2.png]

Re: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 09-15-2014

panamaniac Wrote:Renovations are continuing at 22 Charles St West (next to the building housing Thalmic Labs), A new glass front is being installed in the entrance/stairwell and new windows are being installed on the second floor. Not sure who occupies the building, if anyone, but it should look better when the work is completed.

It appears 22 Charles st is also being renovated for Thalmic Labs. According to this website the redevelopment is known as "Charles by the Park".
http://www.charlesbythepark.ca/

September 13, 2014

[Image: September132014.png]

Re: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 09-16-2014

Great find!

Re: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 09-16-2014

Looking at the floorplans, my guess is that Thalmic is upstairs and they're deciding what to do with the main floor? One big tenant or a number of smaller ones.

Re: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 09-17-2014

Was there some recent news about the sale of Zion United Church on Weber street? I seem to remember hearing something, but not sure what.

Re: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 09-17-2014

Zion was recently sold, I believe to a Cambridge developer. I don't know when the congregations will be moving out, but I plan to visit it during Doors Open and will ask if there are any more details.