Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 05-22-2020

(05-22-2020, 10:54 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I found this on Vive's site.  Looks like the own and are planning on refurbishing the Duke Food block...

http://vivedevelopment.com/property/duke-food-block/

This is terrific news!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 05-22-2020

Excellent! Vive is really making things happen in DTK.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Acitta - 05-22-2020

(05-22-2020, 10:57 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 10:54 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I found this on Vive's site.  Looks like the own and are planning on refurbishing the Duke Food block...

http://vivedevelopment.com/property/duke-food-block/

This is terrific news!
If they put patios on that block as pictured, I think that you might end up with people walking on the ION tracks to get through.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 05-22-2020

(05-22-2020, 01:17 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 10:57 AM)panamaniac Wrote: This is terrific news!
If they put patios on that block as pictured, I think that you might end up with people walking on the ION tracks to get through.

I have no problem with that, but in fact any tables would need to leave enough room on the sidewalk for pedestrians.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 05-22-2020

Yeah walking on the LRT tracks doesn't seem like a major deal. Cities all around the world have streetcars and people are able to walk across the tracks. It'd take being very inattentive to somehow get hit by an LRT travelling at a snails pace (as it does in this area).

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jgsz - 05-22-2020

The rendering (and plans) are pre-pandemic.  I recall seeing it last year and I thought it looked great.  However, the restaurants are very small and if social distancing becomes the new normal I can’t see anyone making a living there.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ijmorlan - 05-22-2020

(05-22-2020, 04:26 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 01:17 PM)Acitta Wrote: If they put patios on that block as pictured, I think that you might end up with people walking on the ION tracks to get through.

I have no problem with that, but in fact any tables would need to leave enough room on the sidewalk for pedestrians.

I just measured it on Google Maps. The distance from the front wall of the building to the curb next to the tracks is 4.24m. So the “LRT right outside the front door” mentioned on that webpage is accurate, to the extent that I don’t see it being reasonable to have restaurant tables there. Maybe a single row of tables tight against the building but no more.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ijmorlan - 05-22-2020

(05-22-2020, 06:09 PM)ac3r Wrote: Yeah walking on the LRT tracks doesn't seem like a major deal. Cities all around the world have streetcars and people are able to walk across the tracks. It'd take being very inattentive to somehow get hit by an LRT travelling at a snails pace (as it does in this area).

I agree they should be much more relaxed about crossing the tracks in many of these urban areas.

That doesn’t mean that crossing the tracks should be required just to travel down the sidewalk.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 05-24-2020

(05-22-2020, 08:23 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 04:26 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I have no problem with that, but in fact any tables would need to leave enough room on the sidewalk for pedestrians.

I just measured it on Google Maps. The distance from the front wall of the building to the curb next to the tracks is 4.24m. So the “LRT right outside the front door” mentioned on that webpage is accurate, to the extent that I don’t see it being reasonable to have restaurant tables there. Maybe a single row of tables tight against the building but no more.

I recall that's what they had there before.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 05-25-2020

Demolition has been completed for 683-705 Charles St E. Does anyone know what is planned here? The city's system only shows the demolition permits.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 05-25-2020

(05-25-2020, 02:06 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Demolition has been completed for 683-705 Charles St E. Does anyone know what is planned here? The city's system only shows the demolition permits.

Interesting. That triangular block (Charles-Sydney-Delta) is now quite empty; E&E Seegmiller used to occupy much of it but it seems they moved out. I wonder what the plan is.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 05-25-2020

(05-25-2020, 02:46 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(05-25-2020, 02:06 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Demolition has been completed for 683-705 Charles St E. Does anyone know what is planned here? The city's system only shows the demolition permits.

Interesting. That triangular block (Charles-Sydney-Delta) is now quite empty; E&E Seegmiller used to occupy much of it but it seems they moved out. I wonder what the plan is.

That would be a nice spot for an apartment building tall enough to give some views out over the golf course.  I've always thought Delta St would be a great place for a long row of upscale townhouses.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - creative - 05-25-2020

I believe that it was reported on here that Delta is to be closed as a street and repurposed as a trail and green space. Most likely in conjunction with whatever is planned for this location. My guess would be higher end apartment rentals for downsizing seniors.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Rainrider22 - 05-25-2020

(05-25-2020, 04:49 PM)creative Wrote: I believe that it was reported on here that Delta is to be closed as a street and repurposed as a trail and green space. Most likely in conjunction with whatever is planned for this location. My guess would be higher end apartment rentals for downsizing seniors.
That would make a lot of sense with the Seniors community centre right there... and right by transit.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 05-25-2020

That would be good ... but I can't find any prior discussion (other than panamaniac's proposal to do the same, last summer!).