Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 06-10-2020

(05-22-2020, 03:46 AM)taylortbb Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 08:47 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Coffee Culture is indeed all torn up inside and looks unlikely to return.

I thought I saw a sign on the King St side about closing for Covid-19, so they were open right until the closure. Seems unlikely the Walper would have a new tenant already, especially given the current circumstances. I feel it's still possible this is just a reno for Coffee Culture, taking advantage of the shutdown. The interior before wasn't terrible, but it definitely wasn't up to the standard of the renovated Walper.

Coffee Culture is back open now, albeit for take-out only like most restaurants.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-10-2020

(06-10-2020, 12:56 PM)bgb_ca Wrote:
(06-10-2020, 12:34 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: There is some framing work being done on the roof of this building near the Spur Line and Union. It looks like they're adding another floor.

I live close to this. (The exact address is 144 Lucan Ave). When this building was sold several years back, they revealed plans to add an additional story or two to it (I can't remember exactly, it was a long time ago when the notice was posted) as part of their renovation plans.

Edit: BTW This building is technically in Waterloo, and not Kitchener.

Interesting way to add some less expensive rental stock.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - bgb_ca - 06-10-2020

(06-10-2020, 01:28 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(06-10-2020, 12:56 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: I live close to this. (The exact address is 144 Lucan Ave). When this building was sold several years back, they revealed plans to add an additional story or two to it (I can't remember exactly, it was a long time ago when the notice was posted) as part of their renovation plans.

Edit: BTW This building is technically in Waterloo, and not Kitchener.

Interesting way to add some less expensive rental stock.

If you are interested, here is an article from 2014. It briefly touches on the expansion and parking there.

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-region/2014/05/28/waterloo-makes-parking-rule-exception-for-apartment-building.html

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - mastermind - 06-11-2020

At King / Ottawa / Charles they have the empty lot (where "Corner Pub" used to be) fenced in and are using it for staging piles of dirt.  I think maybe for the road construction on Weber.

Now also, right beside there in a separate fence they dug a big hole... it's not building sized but it seems bigger than the typical underground works kind of hole.  Also there's a Sittler Demolition sign on the fence.  Won't it be great if / when someday this whole block gets redone?  I assume it's inevitable

[attachment=7068]

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-11-2020

Invevitable, but they must, must, must save at least the "tower" portion of the old Onward Manufacturing building. Is it a designated heritage structure? (I'm thinking not).

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Acitta - 06-11-2020

(06-11-2020, 08:17 AM)mastermind Wrote: At King / Ottawa / Charles they have the empty lot (where "Corner Pub" used to be) fenced in and are using it for staging piles of dirt.  I think maybe for the road construction on Weber.

Now also, right beside there in a separate fence they dug a big hole... it's not building sized but it seems bigger than the typical underground works kind of hole.  Also there's a Sittler Demolition sign on the fence.  Won't it be great if / when someday this whole block gets redone?  I assume it's inevitable
I hope they widen that section of Ottawa. It is uncomfortable to cycle along Ottawa and come to that section where it narrows for no good reason.

(06-11-2020, 11:20 AM)Acitta Wrote:
(06-11-2020, 08:17 AM)mastermind Wrote: At King / Ottawa / Charles they have the empty lot (where "Corner Pub" used to be) fenced in and are using it for staging piles of dirt.  I think maybe for the road construction on Weber.

I hope they widen that section of Ottawa. It is uncomfortable to cycle along Ottawa and come to that section where it narrows for no good reason.

That's the plan, isn't it?  In 2021 or 2022, iirc.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 06-11-2020

(06-11-2020, 11:46 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(06-11-2020, 11:20 AM)Acitta Wrote: I hope they widen that section of Ottawa. It is uncomfortable to cycle along Ottawa and come to that section where it narrows for no good reason.

That's the plan, isn't it?  In 2021 or 2022, iirc.

The plan is to widen it, but the section with the LRT was just reconstructed, the best we're going to get in the medium term is a MUT from the IHT to Charles, where it will connect with the rest of the planned cycling infra.

I was speaking only of the block of Ottawa between King and Charles. I was not aware of plans “south” of that.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 06-11-2020

(06-11-2020, 01:04 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I was speaking only of the block of Ottawa between King and Charles.  I was not aware of plans “south” of that.

That's fair, I was speaking generally about the failure to co-ordinate plans to create a city wide transportation corridor.  The MUT will be constructed as part of the 2021/2 work.

Fun Fact: Regional engineers refer to roads even in the city of Kitchener according to the "regional grid" which is 90 degrees off the "Kitchener grid".  Yeah, communicating directions in this city is nigh impossible.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 06-12-2020

(05-22-2020, 08:41 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I heard the Barbershop went out of business at the Walper too, non COVID related.  So they are not doing a good job upgrading their tenants...

Abel's on Queen (the new barbershop at the Walper) is open again as of this morning, rumours notwithstanding.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 06-12-2020

Kitchener issued $249M in building permits in the first five months of the year, up slightly from $244M last year. SFH showed the most growth, from $45M to $79M, so other construction (multi-residential and commercial) actually fell somewhat from $204M to $165M. Still, it's a strong performance in a COVID-19 year.

Quote:Kitchener is also seeing plenty of presubmissions, where developers present proposals for preliminary city feedback. “That hasn’t slowed down,” (Brian Bennett, Kitchener’s manager of business development) said.

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-region/2020/06/12/waterloo-region-construction-development-continue-unabated-despite-pandemic.html

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 06-14-2020

45, 49 and 53 Courtland Ave are being sold. Zoned for medium-density residential. Asking price is $2M, or about $3.1M/acre.
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/21738365/49-courtland-avenue-e-kitchener

[Image: 30800318_3.jpg]

[Image: 30800318_1.jpg]

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Acitta - 06-14-2020

(06-14-2020, 01:02 PM)tomh009 Wrote: 45, 49 and 53 Courtland Ave are being sold. Zoned for medium-density residential. Asking price is $2M, or about $3.1M/acre.
The plan shows more space being used for surface parking than the building. That is disappointing. There are a lot of trees on that block that will be lost to support car storage.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 06-14-2020

(06-14-2020, 01:14 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(06-14-2020, 01:02 PM)tomh009 Wrote: 45, 49 and 53 Courtland Ave are being sold. Zoned for medium-density residential. Asking price is $2M, or about $3.1M/acre.

The plan shows more space being used for surface parking than the building. That is disappointing. There are a lot of trees on that block that will be lost to support car storage.

Quite. Although it's just a seller's mock-up, not a render of an actual proposed building.

But I expect that's driven by (1) the maximum floor area ratio and (2) the parking minima. Both are negotiable with the city, mind you.