Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 08-01-2020

(07-31-2020, 02:31 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-31-2020, 01:23 PM)Momo26 Wrote: I was disappointed to see what they did on Queen from Charles to King. Just widen sidewalk? IMO That's not a revitalization of a block. I was expecting a lot more.

What more would you have done, given that there is no municipal property there to work with? (And, no, I don't think turning it into a pedestrian street would have been approved.)

Personally I am pleased that it is much more pedestrian-friendly now. No dedicated bike lanes, but they would not have fit without cutting down the sidewalks, and hopefully Ontario/Gaukel will be bicycle-friendly in the future.

I agree there's not much more they could do than refreshing the sidewalk, but I also think they could have done that better.

For one the sidewalks are way too narrow at intersections....so that there is room for turn lanes, again, even in the most pedestrian focused areas, driver convenience over pedestrian facilities.

But other stuff seems like just so much an unforced error...the curbs encourage drivers to drive on the sidewalks (and we see that happening).  Worse, outside the hotel, where the temporary asphalt was, they now have installed permanent decorative pavers...which are "decorative" with that broken look...they are so uneven that anyone with a mobility issue, a cane, a walker, I suspect will struggle...there's just no reason for that...

I was excited about this project, I participated in it, yet I'm still disappointed...maybe I have unrealistic expectations of progress in the city, but this is a 50 year project, they should be asking what people want in the future, not the past.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 08-01-2020

(08-01-2020, 10:25 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(07-31-2020, 02:31 PM)tomh009 Wrote: What more would you have done, given that there is no municipal property there to work with? (And, no, I don't think turning it into a pedestrian street would have been approved.)

Personally I am pleased that it is much more pedestrian-friendly now. No dedicated bike lanes, but they would not have fit without cutting down the sidewalks, and hopefully Ontario/Gaukel will be bicycle-friendly in the future.

I agree there's not much more they could do than refreshing the sidewalk, but I also think they could have done that better.

For one the sidewalks are way too narrow at intersections....so that there is room for turn lanes, again, even in the most pedestrian focused areas, driver convenience over pedestrian facilities.

But other stuff seems like just so much an unforced error...the curbs encourage drivers to drive on the sidewalks (and we see that happening).  Worse, outside the hotel, where the temporary asphalt was, they now have installed permanent decorative pavers...which are "decorative" with that broken look...they are so uneven that anyone with a mobility issue, a cane, a walker, I suspect will struggle...there's just no reason for that...

I was excited about this project, I participated in it, yet I'm still disappointed...maybe I have unrealistic expectations of progress in the city, but this is a 50 year project, they should be asking what people want in the future, not the past.

Isn't that precisely the intention (not to drive but to be able to pull over) ?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ijmorlan - 08-01-2020

(08-01-2020, 11:53 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Isn't that precisely the intention (not to drive but to be able to pull over) ?

You’re making Dan’s point again. There is (apparently) space for cars to pull over, but not space to reserve exclusively for pedestrians. Why don’t we say that there isn’t space for cars to pull over? No stopping. The hotel can create a loading zone around back or something (but ultimately, it’s their problem to figure out, not ours). Alternately, the road could be made one way, which would free up an entire lane’s worth of space.

This also relates to Dan’s comment about turn lanes. Generally speaking, I support the inclusion of turn lanes; but in this location, they should instead forbid the turns in question. The traffic engineers are saying there isn’t space for wide sidewalks at the intersections; I say there isn’t space for turn lanes (or, therefore, turns) at the intersections.

While I’m at it (no longer really responding to panamaniac), I would point out that if an intersection has no turns you can have the ultimate in low-radius corner curb (nominally 0; actually maybe 10cm to avoid making a sharp point which would just wear out prematurely) and therefore absolutely minimal pedestrian crossing distance. Which should be a very high priority goal in Downtown.

(08-01-2020, 11:53 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 10:25 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I agree there's not much more they could do than refreshing the sidewalk, but I also think they could have done that better.

Isn't that precisely the intention (not to drive but to be able to pull over) ?

No, they are sidewalks, cars should not be there at any time...not to pull over, not to park, not to squeeze around a turning vehicle. But I thank you for demonstrating why it is such a bad decision.

(08-01-2020, 12:09 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 11:53 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Isn't that precisely the intention (not to drive but to be able to pull over) ?

You’re making Dan’s point again. There is (apparently) space for cars to pull over, but not space to reserve exclusively for pedestrians. Why don’t we say that there isn’t space for cars to pull over? No stopping. The hotel can create a loading zone around back or something (but ultimately, it’s their problem to figure out, not ours). Alternately, the road could be made one way, which would free up an entire lane’s worth of space.

This also relates to Dan’s comment about turn lanes. Generally speaking, I support the inclusion of turn lanes; but in this location, they should instead forbid the turns in question. The traffic engineers are saying there isn’t space for wide sidewalks at the intersections; I say there isn’t space for turn lanes (or, therefore, turns) at the intersections.

While I’m at it (no longer really responding to panamaniac), I would point out that if an intersection has no turns you can have the ultimate in low-radius corner curb (nominally 0; actually maybe 10cm to avoid making a sharp point which would just wear out prematurely) and therefore absolutely minimal pedestrian crossing distance. Which should be a very high priority goal in Downtown.

Turn lanes are an interesting question, I support them in some instances, when they improve safety, but I don't really support them just to improve motor vehicle flow. In some places, realistically, they are needed, but in other places, especially downtown like this, the space would be better used for other purposes...then you have the choice between restricting turns (and using camera enforcment to make the restriction legitimate), or just allowing turns and dealing with the reduction in vehicle throughput--basically it's one more form of traffic calming, which again I don't see as a bad thing (I am after all a "soldier" in this entirely real and totally not made up "war on cars").

On turn Radii you're absolutely right, if there's a low roll curb, the radii should be effectively zero...

(08-01-2020, 01:35 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Turn lanes are an interesting question, I support them in some instances, when they improve safety, but I don't really support them just to improve motor vehicle flow. In some places, realistically, they are needed, but in other places, especially downtown like this, the space would be better used for other purposes...then you have the choice between restricting turns (and using camera enforcment to make the restriction legitimate), or just allowing turns and dealing with the reduction in vehicle throughput--basically it's one more form of traffic calming, which again I don't see as a bad thing (I am after all a "soldier" in this entirely real and totally not made up "war on cars").

Turn lanes are needed anywhere that there is significant turning traffic, which as far as I’m concerned pretty much means anything busier than the driveway of a house. If they can’t be fit in, turning should be forbidden; it’s more efficient for those turning to perform an alternate maneuver (e.g., 3 right turns around the block) than for the entire road to come to a halt every time somebody wants to turn.

Making the entire street wait for one person to turn left isn’t traffic-calming; it’s destroying the value of the investment in travel lanes. If we’re going to pay for motor vehicle lanes reaching every destination, we should get the value out of that enormous expenditure by making intersection capacity comparable to the capacity of the roads between the intersections.

Also consider this: turn lanes are a form of traffic calming, in that straight-through traffic can smoothly and predictably move past the people waiting to turn, rather than trying to squeeze through unpredictably whenever they can (with the sudden and dangerous changes in velocity associated with this sort of maneuver).

As to your final comment, suggesting that we not build turn lanes so as to slow traffic down to a complete mess with even moderate traffic levels is the exact kind of thing that legitimately makes people think there is a war on the car. It’s not a war on the car to want cars to stay off the sidewalk or to want 2-lane roads instead of 4-lane roads or good separate bicycle infrastructure; but at the point where the goal is just to make using a car as inconvenient as possible whether or not it helps anyone else, you’ve gone beyond bicycle/active transportation/safety advocacy and into just vindictively opposing anything that helps motor vehicle traffic.

Please remember that I am the guy who thinks almost all our 4-lane roads should be 2-lane roads, almost no freeway construction or expansion should be done, freeways should be 100% paid for by tolls, and all our transit routes should run on a 5 minute schedule most of the day. So I’m not a big booster of private vehicle transportation. If I’m saying that a superficially anti-car/pro-bike policy is problematic, you would be well advised to take what I’m saying seriously.

(08-01-2020, 01:35 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: On turn Radii you're absolutely right, if there's a low roll curb, the radii should be effectively zero...

I’m not sure what you’re agreeing with here. I didn’t say anything about roll curbs; my point is just that if right turns aren’t permitted, the curb can come to a sharp corner instead of being rounded off to provide a turn radius. A roll curb that comes to a sharp corner is dangerous because it makes it look to pedestrians like they have a safe space right at the corner but provides not even a hint to a vehicle that it has transgressed into pedestrian space.

(08-01-2020, 02:13 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 01:35 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: On turn Radii you're absolutely right, if there's a low roll curb, the radii should be effectively zero...

I’m not sure what you’re agreeing with here. I didn’t say anything about roll curbs; my point is just that if right turns aren’t permitted, the curb can come to a sharp corner instead of being rounded off to provide a turn radius. A roll curb that comes to a sharp corner is dangerous because it makes it look to pedestrians like they have a safe space right at the corner but provides not even a hint to a vehicle that it has transgressed into pedestrian space.

The point is, if there is a roll curb which is intended for drivers to cross, there is no reason to provide a turn radius, a sharp corner will slow vehicles down, and the few large vehicles, which need the turn radius can safely navigate up the curb to make the turn. Pedestrians can stand there, just as cars can move up to the line, but both may need to move to accomodate the occasional large vehicle squeezing through.

(08-01-2020, 02:10 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 01:35 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Turn lanes are an interesting question, I support them in some instances, when they improve safety, but I don't really support them just to improve motor vehicle flow. In some places, realistically, they are needed, but in other places, especially downtown like this, the space would be better used for other purposes...then you have the choice between restricting turns (and using camera enforcment to make the restriction legitimate), or just allowing turns and dealing with the reduction in vehicle throughput--basically it's one more form of traffic calming, which again I don't see as a bad thing (I am after all a "soldier" in this entirely real and totally not made up "war on cars").

Turn lanes are needed anywhere that there is significant turning traffic, which as far as I’m concerned pretty much means anything busier than the driveway of a house. If they can’t be fit in, turning should be forbidden; it’s more efficient for those turning to perform an alternate maneuver (e.g., 3 right turns around the block) than for the entire road to come to a halt every time somebody wants to turn.

Making the entire street wait for one person to turn left isn’t traffic-calming; it’s destroying the value of the investment in travel lanes. If we’re going to pay for motor vehicle lanes reaching every destination, we should get the value out of that enormous expenditure by making intersection capacity comparable to the capacity of the roads between the intersections.

Also consider this: turn lanes are a form of traffic calming, in that straight-through traffic can smoothly and predictably move past the people waiting to turn, rather than trying to squeeze through unpredictably whenever they can (with the sudden and dangerous changes in velocity associated with this sort of maneuver).

As to your final comment, suggesting that we not build turn lanes so as to slow traffic down to a complete mess with even moderate traffic levels is the exact kind of thing that legitimately makes people think there is a war on the car. It’s not a war on the car to want cars to stay off the sidewalk or to want 2-lane roads instead of 4-lane roads or good separate bicycle infrastructure; but at the point where the goal is just to make using a car as inconvenient as possible whether or not it helps anyone else, you’ve gone beyond bicycle/active transportation/safety advocacy and into just vindictively opposing anything that helps motor vehicle traffic.

Please remember that I am the guy who thinks almost all our 4-lane roads should be 2-lane roads, almost no freeway construction or expansion should be done, freeways should be 100% paid for by tolls, and all our transit routes should run on a 5 minute schedule most of the day. So I’m not a big booster of private vehicle transportation. If I’m saying that a superficially anti-car/pro-bike policy is problematic, you would be well advised to take what I’m saying seriously.

It definitely limits the throughput of the road which discourages more travel, but it will never limit it to zero (or there would no longer be any disincentive). I wouldn't say this "destroys" the value, it changes the value, towards access and away from throughput.

There is zero reason to give drivers the opportunity to "squeeze" through, that type of road design is dangerous, the lanes should simply be 3 meters wide providing no opportunity for squeezing, traffic just waits for a turn. Turn lanes do not provide traffic calming beyond the fact that they may make cars deviate from a straight line, the value of tighter roads with smaller intersections is a far higher traffic calming effect.

I am not being vindictive here, I think you vastly overestimate the "complete mess" that would occur allowing the occasional left turn. Just look at how Westmount Rd. is operating right now between Erb and Glasgow, no right turn lanes, but moderate traffic flows with substantial turns are flowing well...even I'm surprised. The point is that in some cases, I'm arguing turn lanes would only speed a vehicles journey, not make it more convenient, safer, speeding up vehicle travel is not a goal I want prioritized. Turn lanes should only be needed if their lack would actually cause untolerable congestion. I simply don't believe that they do in most cases.

I am actually quite surprised at how well traffic is flowing on Westmount and I have adjusted by beliefs based on that.  I am not accusing you of being pro-car, do not take that opinion, but do not advise me to take you seriously, I do, we are allowed to disagree.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 08-01-2020

(08-01-2020, 10:25 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(07-31-2020, 02:31 PM)tomh009 Wrote: What more would you have done, given that there is no municipal property there to work with? (And, no, I don't think turning it into a pedestrian street would have been approved.)

Yeah, I agree on the roll curbs. I have no idea what the rationale was for putting those in. Haven't seen the pavers yet.

Turn lanes ... I see your point. I'll withhold my opinion until I have looked at those more, to see to situation on the ground, so to speak. Smile

(08-01-2020, 01:32 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:

No, they are sidewalks, cars should not be there at any time...not to pull over, not to park, not to squeeze around a turning vehicle.  But I thank you for demonstrating why it is such a bad decision.

(08-01-2020, 05:09 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 10:25 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I agree there's not much more they could do than refreshing the sidewalk, but I also think they could have done that better.

Yeah, I agree on the roll curbs. I have no idea what the rationale was for putting those in. Haven't seen the pavers yet.

Turn lanes ... I see your point. I'll withhold my opinion until I have looked at those more, to see to situation on the ground, so to speak. Smile

It would be interesting to ask the City about this.  They might not be willing to admit it, but I think the rationale is pretty clear, as I indicated earlier.  Note that I make no comment about "should", just about "is".  Time will tell, but I really don't see a police vehicle or ambulance attending to an emergency in that block just stopping in the middle of the street while they deal with the emergency.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'd be surprised.

(08-01-2020, 06:17 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 01:32 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: No, they are sidewalks, cars should not be there at any time...not to pull over, not to park, not to squeeze around a turning vehicle.  But I thank you for demonstrating why it is such a bad decision.

(08-01-2020, 05:09 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Yeah, I agree on the roll curbs. I have no idea what the rationale was for putting those in. Haven't seen the pavers yet.

It would be interesting to ask the City about this.  They might not be willing to admit it, but I think the rationale is pretty clear, as I indicated earlier.  Note that I make no comment about "should", just about "is".  Time will tell, but I really don't see a police vehicle or ambulance attending to an emergency in that block just stopping in the middle of the street while they deal with the emergency.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'd be surprised.

This may be their intention, but there is zero justification for it, there are plenty of other two lane roads in the city...those roads also have ambulances, and emergency vehicles which block the street...if this is their justification, it's nothing more than BS.

(08-01-2020, 06:53 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 06:17 PM)panamaniac Wrote: It would be interesting to ask the City about this.  They might not be willing to admit it, but I think the rationale is pretty clear, as I indicated earlier.  Note that I make no comment about "should", just about "is".  Time will tell, but I really don't see a police vehicle or ambulance attending to an emergency in that block just stopping in the middle of the street while they deal with the emergency.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'd be surprised.

This may be their intention, but there is zero justification for it, there are plenty of other two lane roads in the city...those roads also have ambulances, and emergency vehicles which block the street...if this is their justification, it's nothing more than BS.

If there's any other explanation, it's not jumping out at me.  It's certainly not uncommon to see cars pulled up over the curb in non-parking sections of King St, although there's bollards and the sidewalks are much wider.

(08-01-2020, 02:29 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I am actually quite surprised at how well traffic is flowing on Westmount and I have adjusted by beliefs based on that.  I am not accusing you of being pro-car, do not take that opinion, but do not advise me to take you seriously, I do, we are allowed to disagree.

This is obviously due to low traffic levels. Right now at Glasgow southbound there is a single lane for left-turning, right-turning, and straight through traffic. During a typical (not now-typical, typical-typical) rush hour, the first person who wants to turn left will stop southbound traffic entirely until the red light comes and they can make their turn. If the next person is also turning left, they may well have to wait until the next red to make their turn. Meanwhile the entire southbound road south of Glasgow will be empty of vehicles — just empty asphalt uselessly waiting for somebody to use it. Guess what impatient drivers will, understandably, do when they finally get to it?

Problems similar to the above were already regularly observed before Covid, with 2 lanes southbound at Glasgow. Of course what is really needed there is what was there previously — 1 left turn lane, and 1 straight through lane; and given that there is only 1 straight through lane at Glasgow, there obviously only needs to be one straight through lane from at least Erb south to Glasgow (and personally I would make that Benjamin Rd. to Fischer-Hallman, i.e., the entire road).

On the other hand, if everybody happens to be going straight, no problem — everybody waiting might get through on a single light.

No, predictable, smooth (not unfettered; smooth) traffic flow is much better. Don’t forget, buses are also waiting for traffic (of course, I would build more bus lanes and dedicated roads; but there is no reasonable scenario in which bus traffic doesn’t mix with other traffic in some places).

You’re 100% right about lane widths however. It is totally ridiculous how wide lanes are in many places.

(08-01-2020, 09:33 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 02:29 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I am actually quite surprised at how well traffic is flowing on Westmount and I have adjusted by beliefs based on that.  I am not accusing you of being pro-car, do not take that opinion, but do not advise me to take you seriously, I do, we are allowed to disagree.

This is obviously due to low traffic levels. Right now at Glasgow southbound there is a single lane for left-turning, right-turning, and straight through traffic. During a typical (not now-typical, typical-typical) rush hour, the first person who wants to turn left will stop southbound traffic entirely until the red light comes and they can make their turn. If the next person is also turning left, they may well have to wait until the next red to make their turn. Meanwhile the entire southbound road south of Glasgow will be empty of vehicles — just empty asphalt uselessly waiting for somebody to use it. Guess what impatient drivers will, understandably, do when they finally get to it?

Problems similar to the above were already regularly observed before Covid, with 2 lanes southbound at Glasgow. Of course what is really needed there is what was there previously — 1 left turn lane, and 1 straight through lane; and given that there is only 1 straight through lane at Glasgow, there obviously only needs to be one straight through lane from at least Erb south to Glasgow (and personally I would make that Benjamin Rd. to Fischer-Hallman, i.e., the entire road).

On the other hand, if everybody happens to be going straight, no problem — everybody waiting might get through on a single light.

No, predictable, smooth (not unfettered; smooth) traffic flow is much better. Don’t forget, buses are also waiting for traffic (of course, I would build more bus lanes and dedicated roads; but there is no reasonable scenario in which bus traffic doesn’t mix with other traffic in some places).

You’re 100% right about lane widths however. It is totally ridiculous how wide lanes are in many places.

I'm not talking about Westmount, in fact I'm specifically not talking about Westmount pre- or post-covid...I agree, it should have 3 lanes in the future. I'm talking in general, many two lane roads never carry more traffic than Westmount does today, I'd even venture a guess that given our regions obsession with widening roads, most two lane roads never carry more traffic than Westmount does today, and today Westmount is functioning well without turn lanes. That's the point, turn lanes aren't always necessary for maintaining the flow of traffic, on higher speed roads they may improve safety, but for a low speed road like Queen (where this conversation did originate), even if turns are permitted, chances are good the only value turn lanes provide is in improving travel times, not reducing congestion or improving safety. This is doubly the case when traffic is moving slow on a road like Queen because turning left becomes easier and safer. This is already demonstrated at King/Queen intersection which has no turn lanes, yet Queen operates fine.

Of course, if our region was willing to build small roundabouts they'd also be an option...but right now they aren't willing to do that either.

Empty asphault is an argument against roads frankly....but in terms of what drivers will do, I do not believe that the few angry aggressive drivers should dictate how we build our roads, and further, there shouldn't be a wide open swath of asphalt to encourage speeding anyway, and on Queen, there isn't, past the intersection with Charles, it is still very tight, and drivers would have to drive calmly.