Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - taylortbb - 12-16-2020

(12-16-2020, 09:30 PM)Momo26 Wrote: https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-region/2020/12/16/courtland-towers-get-approval-will-be-among-the-tallest-in-waterloo-region.html

Already being discussed in the suburban forum https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/showthread.php?tid=736

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - cherrypark - 12-20-2020

[attachment=7527]

Counted 9 cranes on the horizon this morning walking the dog; DTK crane is behind the tree. Lots of action transforming downtown!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 12-20-2020

(12-20-2020, 01:27 PM)cherrypark Wrote: Counted 9 cranes on the horizon this morning walking the dog; DTK crane is behind the tree. Lots of action transforming downtown!

Is it again possible to walk through the end of Stewart St. again?

Last time I was there there was a fence on the exit of the construction site, and some workers came and told me I wasn't allowed in...which was confusing because I was trying to get out.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - cherrypark - 12-20-2020

(12-20-2020, 02:22 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Is it again possible to walk through the end of Stewart St. again?

Last time I was there there was a fence on the exit of the construction site, and some workers came and told me I wasn't allowed in...which was confusing because I was trying to get out.

Appears that way - the hole in the ground where the building was is still there but fenced up now. Looks like its set to be that way until whatever the site's next use is.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - taylortbb - 12-20-2020

(12-20-2020, 01:27 PM)cherrypark Wrote: Counted 9 cranes on the horizon this morning walking the dog; DTK crane is behind the tree. Lots of action transforming downtown!

I believe there's 12 total. The 9 from the photo (including DTK behind the tree), plus Young condos and two at Drewlo.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Bytor - 12-21-2020

IS it just me, or is there a lot more foundation work and concrete pouring going on than usual right now in early winter? Concrete needs to be above 10°C to cure properly, otherwise it need some very expensive chemicals added in that cause an exothermic reaction, or a Rube Goldberg-like set up of tents and heaters to keep it warm enough.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - taylortbb - 12-21-2020

(12-21-2020, 03:04 PM)Bytor Wrote: IS it just me, or is there a lot more foundation work and concrete pouring going on than usual right now in early winter? Concrete needs to be above 10°C to cure properly, otherwise it need some very expensive chemicals added in that cause an exothermic reaction, or a Rube Goldberg-like set up of tents and heaters to keep it warm enough.

I think real estate prices and rents have increased enough to justify techniques that would previously not have been used in Waterloo Region. If your expected rental income is 20% higher you can justify the additional cost to get the building built sooner, and start making money sooner. Similarly, for condos, date of completion is a big selling point pre-construction, so higher prices given you room to spend more to move that up a few months.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Momo26 - 01-07-2021

It's interesting that whilst Kitchener is often touted as the tech capital of Canada, we have never been in the discussion as a 'smart city'. Perhaps we may this a goal:

https://www.thestar.com/news/atkinsonseries/2021/01/07/rotterdam-is-using-smart-city-tech-to-solve-pressing-urban-problems-heres-what-canadian-cities-can-learn-from-the-dutch-model.html

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 01-07-2021

Interesting that they make this point:

Quote:“The big threat is loss of autonomy,” says Jan-Willem Wesselink of Future City Foundation, a Dutch network of municipal agencies, civil society organizations, universities and technology companies seeking to promote a more democratic approach to smart urbanism that aligns with one of the U.N.’s 17 sustainable development goals (number 11) about resilient, sustainable and inclusive cities. “Does Google or some other company decide how you use the city?”

That is one of the main reasons Alphabet/Google's Sidewalk Toronto neighbourhood was cancelled. People did not like the privacy concerns and letting a major corporation run an entire neighbourhood.

But anyway, I feel the whole "tech capital of Canada" thing is just a cheap marketing gimmick the tech companies like to throw around, the city itself isn't "smart" - yet. We happen to have a few major tech companies (as well as many startups) based here and have a prestigious university, but very little of this is actually felt in the city itself. I imagine as the years go on we'll see a lot more of this stuff, but as that quote mentions, I'd hope it would be democratic.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - dtkvictim - 01-07-2021

(01-07-2021, 10:40 AM)Momo26 Wrote: It's interesting that whilst Kitchener is often touted as the tech capital of Canada, we have never been in the discussion as a 'smart city'. Perhaps we may this a goal:

https://www.thestar.com/news/atkinsonseries/2021/01/07/rotterdam-is-using-smart-city-tech-to-solve-pressing-urban-problems-heres-what-canadian-cities-can-learn-from-the-dutch-model.html

Good. I especially don't want "smart cities" to be in consideration until Canadians have adequate data ownership and privacy protections. Even with those in place, I don't see any situation where a private company implementing a smart city could benefit that citizens. The only motivation a private company would have would be to sell your data or more efficiently sell you products via the data they collect. The only "smart" product I keep in my home is my phone, and I'd not like to have more of them imposed on me in public places than they already are.

If the governments or universities of Canada want to find and implement tech driven solutions to genuine problems (and not solutions in search of a problem) at the taxpayers expense, with no profit motive, I'm happy to have that happen so long as citizens are protected. But there is no need for the "smart" label here, I think that attracts the wrong kinds of attention.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Momo26 - 01-07-2021

Protection and technology?

LOL

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - urbd - 01-27-2021

Hey everyone, just wondering if there is info/renders of the buildings just approved next to the Aud? Can't seem to find them. Thanks!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 01-27-2021

(01-27-2021, 02:41 PM)urbd Wrote: Hey everyone, just wondering if there is info/renders of the buildings just approved next to the Aud? Can't seem to find them. Thanks!

Next to the Aud?  Have we had previous posts about it/them?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - neonjoe - 01-27-2021

(06-12-2015, 10:17 AM)Owen Wrote:
(06-12-2015, 09:47 AM)BuildingScout Wrote: I'm afraid that even then it won't be enough, judging from other urban examples. We are going from 0 buildings to 1 (Kaufman) to 3 (Kaufman+One Victoria+City Centre) so while the increase sounds like a lot, density is still extremely low in that area as far as downtown urban districts are concerned. We will need the other City Centre tower as well as the two towers in One Hundred Victoria before we start seeing critical mass. The transit hub will help a lot as the fact that a trip to downtown will be a breeze away when the LRT is in place. Then we'll see a clear pickup.

This brings up my biggest issue with the LRT - "a trip downtown is a breeze away when the LRT is in place"  ... for who??  Maybe a few folks who happen to live around the line, but not for most residents of the city (and by most I mean everyone in Wards 1, 2, 6, 7, and 8).  I understand the planning rationale for creating a corridor that induces development (and a long-term shift in population from the suburbs to condos along that corridor), but I really wish the LRT as more useful for more existing residents - meaning it had lines that extended out into the existing suburbs to the east and west and made it easy for people to come downtown as a destination.  I get it - that was way out of the budget - but presently I have a hard time seeing how the LRT would help me get anywhere I want to go (have you ever found yourself on King street saying "gee, I really wish I could hope on a train and get to uptown waterloo?")  ... most of the city's residents (again, everyone in Ward 1, 2, 6, 7, and 8) live outside walking distance from the LRT, which means they will have to keep driving everywhere they want to go.   

Since the province is now providing 100% funding for this sort of thing we should be lobbying for a Phase II LRT that adds loops from the outer areas into the core to augment the main line!

(01-27-2021, 02:41 PM)urbd Wrote: Hey everyone, just wondering if there is info/renders of the buildings just approved next to the Aud? Can't seem to find them. Thanks!
This project?
http://vivedevelopment.com/property/169-borden-ave/

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 01-27-2021

(01-27-2021, 04:25 PM)neonjoe Wrote:
(06-12-2015, 10:17 AM)Owen Wrote: This brings up my biggest issue with the LRT - "a trip downtown is a breeze away when the LRT is in place"  ... for who??  Maybe a few folks who happen to live around the line, but not for most residents of the city (and by most I mean everyone in Wards 1, 2, 6, 7, and 8).  I understand the planning rationale for creating a corridor that induces development (and a long-term shift in population from the suburbs to condos along that corridor), but I really wish the LRT as more useful for more existing residents - meaning it had lines that extended out into the existing suburbs to the east and west and made it easy for people to come downtown as a destination.  I get it - that was way out of the budget - but presently I have a hard time seeing how the LRT would help me get anywhere I want to go (have you ever found yourself on King street saying "gee, I really wish I could hope on a train and get to uptown waterloo?")  ... most of the city's residents (again, everyone in Ward 1, 2, 6, 7, and 8) live outside walking distance from the LRT, which means they will have to keep driving everywhere they want to go.   

Since the province is now providing 100% funding for this sort of thing we should be lobbying for a Phase II LRT that adds loops from the outer areas into the core to augment the main line!

This project?
http://vivedevelopment.com/property/169-borden-ave/

I'm confused why you replied to the first comment.

But honestly, buses...also "a few people"...the LRT goes through the densest parts of the city.

Whatever....

Edit: Oh, I see now, it was from 2015, you were using it as an example of who I assume?

Yeah, that's why I feel like this is an ancient conversation Tongue.