Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - zanate - 04-28-2015

(04-28-2015, 07:02 AM)Spokes Wrote: My thoughts exactly.  Combine that with the Alexandria property.  This one's very far down the list of to-dos.

While there could be other more "ideal" locations, a 6 floor mixed use building with an urban format grocer would be good here as it would serve that neighbourhood plus downtown well.

If we're talking ideal locations for a grocer in the downtown core, why not rework Market Square? Central, next to LRT, existing parking structure, and not well utilized.

Mind you, it's been years since I've been in Market Square so I don't remember much about the interior layout or whether it's so active now. But the location is absolutely ideal. So is King/Victoria, again due to proximity to LRT in both directions, but then you face potentially unnecessary competition with Central Fresh.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 04-28-2015

(04-28-2015, 09:24 AM)zanate Wrote:
(04-28-2015, 07:02 AM)Spokes Wrote: My thoughts exactly.  Combine that with the Alexandria property.  This one's very far down the list of to-dos.

While there could be other more "ideal" locations, a 6 floor mixed use building with an urban format grocer would be good here as it would serve that neighbourhood plus downtown well.

If we're talking ideal locations for a grocer in the downtown core, why not rework Market Square? Central, next to LRT, existing parking structure, and not well utilized.

Mind you, it's been years since I've been in Market Square so I don't remember much about the interior layout or whether it's so active now. But the location is absolutely ideal. So is King/Victoria, again due to proximity to LRT in both directions, but then you face potentially unnecessary competition with Central Fresh.

Obviously I like the urban grocer concept Big Grin  but zanate's Market Square idea has merit, too.  The original layout had large floorplates to accommodate Eaton's (I recall looking at the Commodore PET there on display ... but I'm dating myself!).  I don't know what has changed inside in the decades since, but I suspect the floorplates themselves should be unchanged.

Does the city still own Market Square?  If it does, it would indeed be an opportunity to bring a full grocery store to the core, at an attractive rental price.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 04-28-2015

Couple of randoms:

CBC Radio did an interview yesterday morning about a new artists' co-op gallery that is to open next month Downtown.   I didn't hear anything about where it would be located, but it was mentioned that King Pharmacy had helped with the location, which made me wonder if it will be in part of the Kitchener Market complex.  Anybody have more info?

The sale of 5 Michael St to a local high tech company (D2L?) has gone through.  The Music School has been gifted to WLU and will be relocated to space in a student residence on Lester St.  The music store will continue in business in a new location - the owners are looking to downsize from 13,000sqft to 5,000sqft.  For anyone who has never been into the music store, I encourage you to go in and have a look - it is quite impressive.

Subway will be moving into the former Laurier Optical location on King W next to Shoppers Drug Mart.

Renovation work seems to be underway at 306 King W (former Combination Sports), which will be the future home of Fat Bastard Burrito Co.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - neonjoe - 04-28-2015

(04-28-2015, 09:56 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-28-2015, 09:24 AM)zanate Wrote: If we're talking ideal locations for a grocer in the downtown core, why not rework Market Square? Central, next to LRT, existing parking structure, and not well utilized.

Obviously I like the urban grocer concept Big Grin  but zanate's Market Square idea has merit, too.  The original layout had large floorplates to accommodate Eaton's (I recall looking at the Commodore PET there on display ... but I'm dating myself!).  I don't know what has changed inside in the decades since, but I suspect the floorplates themselves should be unchanged.

Does the city still own Market Square?  If it does, it would indeed be an opportunity to bring a full grocery store to the core, at an attractive rental price.

The basement level of Market Square, where Stantec is currently located, was once home to a Zehrs. It would be a good place for a supermarket to return to once Stantec vacates the unit.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - TMKM94 - 04-28-2015

I think I know the answer but what Subway location is moving ? King\Breithaupt or Market square?

(04-28-2015, 09:18 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: I think I know the answer but what Subway location is moving ? King\Breithaupt or Market square?

I should perhaps have said Subway is opening a location next to Shoppers.  I don't know that it is closing an existing location.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - clasher - 04-29-2015

Gross, now the Shoppers will smell like stinky subway bread.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 04-29-2015

The new co-op art gallery, Art District Gallery, will be located at 301 King St E, across the street from the Market. The first exhibition opens on Friday, May 5th.

http://www.artdistrictgallery.org/?utm_source=Art+District+Gallery&utm_campaign=66eab58405-Grand+Opening+of+the+Art+District+Gallery&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_70586e860e-66eab58405-295149761

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 04-30-2015

(08-29-2014, 09:37 AM)519 Wrote:
rangersfan Wrote:Just looked up the building permits taken out on 122 and 126 Courtland Ave:

"PERMIT IS FOR A NEW 27 UNIT APARTMENT BUILDING, INCLUDES SITE SERVICING. ALSO SEE DEMOLITION PERMIT No. 12 187258 & 12 187260."

Probably a 3-4 storey building which will be in line with a few other apartment buildings on that stretch of Courtland.  A positive step for the neighbourhood.
I hope they move right to construction. There's still plenty of time to dig.

The excavation is (finally) in progress.  Judging by the size of the dig, the building footprint is not huge.  Has anyone seen any more information about this one?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 04-30-2015

(04-30-2015, 03:56 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-29-2014, 09:37 AM)519 Wrote: Probably a 3-4 storey building which will be in line with a few other apartment buildings on that stretch of Courtland.  A positive step for the neighbourhood.
I hope they move right to construction. There's still plenty of time to dig.

The excavation is (finally) in progress.  Judging by the size of the dig, the building footprint is not huge.  Has anyone seen any more information about this one?

It seemed odd to me that they excavated the site, basically a sand pit, and nothing has happened since.  A couple of good rain storms and the sand will wash back into the hole!  Other than a sign saying "Noir", I have seen no additional info about this project.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 04-30-2015

(04-30-2015, 04:19 PM)Lens Wrote: "12-175551 RM 122 COURTLAND AVE E Residential Building (Multi) Apartment New Construction Open

PERMIT IS FOR A NEW 27 UNIT APARTMENT BUILDING, INCLUDES SITE SERVICING. ALSO SEE DEMOLITION PERMIT No. 12 187258 & 12 187260."

Right ... that's what was posted earlier in the thread.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Lens - 04-30-2015

(04-30-2015, 05:06 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-30-2015, 04:19 PM)Lens Wrote: "12-175551 RM 122 COURTLAND AVE E Residential Building (Multi) Apartment New Construction Open

PERMIT IS FOR A NEW 27 UNIT APARTMENT BUILDING, INCLUDES SITE SERVICING. ALSO SEE DEMOLITION PERMIT No. 12 187258 & 12 187260."

Right ... that's what was posted earlier in the thread.

My Apologies, I didn't notice that it was posted already.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - CTGal1011 - 05-01-2015

You nailed it. A sand pit.  We had to dig the easement on the side of our Cedar Hill property in 2010.
A nightmare, and an additional $7000 in costs to stabilize the south-east corner of our house, and fix the 2' crack running approximately the same direction as the wonderful sewer pipes that are under our property to the drain built behind the Pentecostal Church on Madison. Sigh. A quick look in the city archives will see a bunch of settlements paid by the city for the massive cracks in our foundations and windows, brick/mortar after the drain system was built. Our legal duplex was "force converted" into a single dwelling and the bathroom/kitchen removed from the basement at that time.
The 2010 aggregate expense to make the soil more suitable was disgusting. And the structural engineer. However, in other news, the basement no longer floods, as had been the case since the city capped our drain and removed our sump pump in 1999.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 05-01-2015

Look at any excavation Downtown, or at least in the eastern half, and you will understand why the place used to be known as the Sand Hills before it was named Berlin.