Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: Mayfair Hotel - tomh009 - 06-15-2015

Most of it really is general downtown discussion. If someone with admin rights can take the time to move the posts to the other thread ...

RE: Mayfair Hotel - Section ThirtyOne - 06-16-2015

You have to think of the future though. With the way traffic is increasing across the region, the car may not always be more practical. This same argument was made when the Expressway was proposed many years ago. Could you imagine the gridlock if that highway didn't exist?

RE: Mayfair Hotel - Owen - 06-16-2015

(06-16-2015, 11:36 AM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: You have to think of the future though. With the way traffic is increasing across the region, the car may not always be more practical. This same argument was made when the Expressway was proposed many years ago. Could you imagine the gridlock if that highway didn't exist?

I completely agree - driving our fossil fuel powered vehicles everywhere on a whim is not sustainable - but my point is that the current single LRT line through the core doesn't actually solve this issue for the broader city. With that said, I think it's absolutely the right first step - but I'm a strong advocate of expanding the system so that it becomes practical (in terms of transit time) for just about anyone in the city to ditch a car and get around via transit. To me, the definition of practical in terms of transit time is simple: If it can get you anywhere in the city within ~30 minutes the masses will start to use it in a major way.

RE: Mayfair Hotel - Section ThirtyOne - 06-16-2015

(06-16-2015, 11:41 AM)Owen Wrote:
(06-16-2015, 11:36 AM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: You have to think of the future though. With the way traffic is increasing across the region, the car may not always be more practical. This same argument was made when the Expressway was proposed many years ago. Could you imagine the gridlock if that highway didn't exist?

I completely agree - driving our fossil fuel powered vehicles everywhere on a whim is not sustainable - but my point is that the current single LRT line through the core doesn't actually solve this issue for the broader city.   With that said, I think it's absolutely the right first step - but I'm a strong advocate of expanding the system so that it becomes practical (in terms of transit time) for just about anyone in the city to ditch a car and get around via transit.  To me, the definition of practical in terms of transit time is simple: If it can get you anywhere in the city within ~30 minutes the masses will start to use it in a major way.

I think you hit the nail on the head -- ION as it is being built now is just that, a first step. There isn't the budget or the will to build light rail to everywhere. An efficient transit system needs a spine like ION, existing and modified bus routes will feed to it for now.  Further expansion will occur later on.

RE: Mayfair Hotel - Owen - 06-16-2015

(06-16-2015, 11:51 AM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote:
(06-16-2015, 11:41 AM)Owen Wrote: I completely agree - driving our fossil fuel powered vehicles everywhere on a whim is not sustainable - but my point is that the current single LRT line through the core doesn't actually solve this issue for the broader city.   With that said, I think it's absolutely the right first step - but I'm a strong advocate of expanding the system so that it becomes practical (in terms of transit time) for just about anyone in the city to ditch a car and get around via transit.  To me, the definition of practical in terms of transit time is simple: If it can get you anywhere in the city within ~30 minutes the masses will start to use it in a major way.

I think you hit the nail on the head -- ION as it is being built now is just that, a first step. There isn't the budget or the will to build light rail to everywhere. An efficient transit system needs a spine like ION, existing and modified bus routes will feed to it for now.  Further expansion will occur later on.

Fingers crossed now that Zehr is on the Metrolinx board... Wink I hope that the Ontario govt gives us extra consideration since we funded Phase I partially out of our own pockets!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-18-2015

A large For Sale sign has gone up at 287 King E (corner Eby). The house behind that building is also for sale and the lot next door on King St has been vacant for years. It would be nice to see the properties consolidated for a new building.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 06-21-2015

Any idea if it's the same owner?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-21-2015

(06-21-2015, 09:37 AM)Spokes Wrote: Any idea if it's the same owner?

I checked the CBRE website and indeed all three properties are for sale.  That would make for a decent sized lot for redevelopment, unlike the lot kitty-corner, which strikes me as a challenge to redevelop.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 06-21-2015

Thanks! Certainly has potential.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-21-2015

I see that Kava Bean Commons on Gaukel St has spruced up its exterior - it looks quite good.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - mpd618 - 06-21-2015

(06-21-2015, 02:34 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I see that Kava Bean Commons on Gaukel St has spruced up its exterior - it looks quite good.

And the name on the big signs seems to have changed to Kava Bean Bistro.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-22-2015

I noticed today that the big scrap metal yard (most recently KW Auto Wreckers) off Madison Ave S is being cleaned up and that there is a Kieswetter Demolition sign out front (the old plant at 235 Madison looked like it might be empty).  Does anyone know if there are plans to redevelop this site?  It occupies about half the block bounded by the Mill Courtland Community Centre, Mill Street, Madison Ave and the railway tracks.  At a glance, it seemed like the kind of property that would suit a townhouse infill project.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - CTGal1011 - 06-23-2015

They've been cleaning it up for the last couple of weeks. There were a couple environmental assessors on site last Friday when I was walking my son to St. Bernie's.
They also removed some debris from the slab at old Robson-Lang plant as well (to the left of the wreckers). I called the city to evaluate a homeless camp near the tracks behind the Iron Horse trail and it is gone now. Never fun taking the kids for a bike ride and seeing needles and condoms enroute!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 06-23-2015

(01-19-2015, 01:08 PM)REnerd Wrote: I walked by the Bargain Shop this morning and it is almost empty.  

Sign on the window says that they have 5 business days left.  

It will be interesting to see what happens next!

Workers were carrying plywood sheathing into the former Bargain Shop space yesterday.  Not clear exactly what was happening inside, though.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-23-2015

(06-23-2015, 10:41 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-19-2015, 01:08 PM)REnerd Wrote: I walked by the Bargain Shop this morning and it is almost empty.  

Sign on the window says that they have 5 business days left.  

It will be interesting to see what happens next!

Workers were carrying plywood sheathing into the former Bargain Shop space yesterday.  Not clear exactly what was happening inside, though.

I saw that and assumed that they were putting in a new sub-floor.