Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 06-23-2015

108-110 Madison S now demolished and graded.  No building permit yet, just a demolition one, and one for a retaining wall.  Looks to be a row-house development based on the retaining wall permit comments (zoning is R-6 so it allows multi-unit residential).

[Image: DWCLLWb.jpg]

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - white_brian - 06-23-2015

Kieswetter as far as I know has their main yard out in St.Jacobs. They had been using the old Stedlebauers shop and yards on Ottawa but will have to vacate shortly. They have been doing a lot of work to the Madison site and from what I understand this will be there intown home. This is to help cut down on transport cost and service times to various sites.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 06-24-2015

The former used-car dealership at King and Wellington is set to soon reopen as a Hasty Market and shawarma joint. Here's how it looked on Tuesday:

[Image: 20150623_163755.jpg]

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Markster - 06-24-2015

That's pretty cool. I hope they've got a plan to weather the construction for the next 2 years.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 06-24-2015

This is a positive development given 7/11's departure just one block up. I wonder what this means for the planned redevelopment at this corner (nothing good, I suppose).

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 06-24-2015

(06-24-2015, 12:37 AM)Markster Wrote: That's pretty cool.  I hope they've got a plan to weather the construction for the next 2 years.

Ya definitely not a great time to be starting a business there, but a good re-purposing of the site none the less.  I would imagine it won't be there longer than 5 years though as once the LRT is up and running, the development value will be too high

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 06-24-2015

(06-24-2015, 10:59 AM)Spokes Wrote: Ya definitely not a great time to be starting a business there, but a good re-purposing of the site none the less.  I would imagine it won't be there longer than 5 years though as once the LRT is up and running, the development value will be too high

I like your positivity!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 06-24-2015

A quick photo update of 113 Breithaupt St.

June 24, 2015

http://i.imgur.com/lg940zX.png

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-28-2015

(06-24-2015, 10:01 PM)rangersfan Wrote: A quick photo update of 113 Breithaupt St.

June 24, 2015

http://i.imgur.com/lg940zX.png

It looks like it is being clad entirely in corrugated black steel.  Lots of new windows, however, so it may look sharp.  Certainly better than the previous iteration.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-28-2015

Some Downtown randoms:

Landscaping is done and the construction fencing is down at the former Waterloo County Courthouse/new Regional Archives. It is looking very good, although I don't know if the archives have started to move in yet. No sign yet of the artwork that's to be installed on the Queen St side.

There is a big Denzil Properties sign on the Weber Chambers building on King W advertising "Executive one-bedroom apartments". Mystery of the upstairs renovations solved.

There are four small renovation projects underway on King St E in the block between Scott and Eby Sts. A building permit in the window of 256-260 King E indicates that the former Morning Glory Café is being renovated for commercial space (the Working Centre is putting in affordable apartments upstairs).

A wee bit of brick has been laid at one corner of the new Google building - it's very dark grey (almost black) and monochrome. I hope it will be striking, but I keep getting this image in my mind:

[Image: 2cy4ksl.jpg]

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Drake - 06-29-2015

The Darth Vader tower is on King N. It is just south of the Tetris tower built by Schembri.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 06-29-2015

(06-28-2015, 05:20 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Landscaping is done and the construction fencing is down at the former Waterloo County Courthouse/new Regional Archives.  It is looking very good, although I don't know if the archives have started to move in yet.  No sign yet of the artwork that's to be installed on the Queen St side.

Not quite yet, it appears; this is the lobby as of a couple of hours ago:
[Image: jtUgSMJ.jpg]

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - REnerd - 06-29-2015

(06-29-2015, 09:00 AM)Drake Wrote: The Darth Vader tower is on King N. It is just south of the Tetris tower built by Schembri.

In London England all buildings seem to inherit a 'nickname' and rarely go by their true name.  You get things like:

The cheesegrader
The gerkin
The walkie talkie 

etc.  

Maybe we just need to start doing the same Smile

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-29-2015

(06-29-2015, 02:41 PM)REnerd Wrote:
(06-29-2015, 09:00 AM)Drake Wrote: The Darth Vader tower is on King N. It is just south of the Tetris tower built by Schembri.

In London England all buildings seem to inherit a 'nickname' and rarely go by their true name.  You get things like:

The cheesegrader
The gerkin
The walkie talkie 

etc.  

Maybe we just need to start doing the same Smile

Well, we already have the Dolly Parton Building.  Maybe if the Google building turns out to be ominous rather than striking it could become known as the Luke Skywalker Building..... Wink

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 06-29-2015

(06-29-2015, 02:52 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Well, we already have the Dolly Parton Building. 

Are you referring to the Barbarella Towers?