Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 07-28-2015

40 renovated apartment units Downtown is good news.  I look forward to seeing what the building looks like after the renovation.  CKCO's report this evening indicated that they expected to be taking applications from tenants in about four months.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jgsz - 07-28-2015

(07-28-2015, 07:18 PM)mpd618 Wrote:
(07-28-2015, 02:39 PM)jgsz Wrote: Their notice says it's a "redevelopment project."  To me that suggests it may be more than a renovation.  If they add on to the building I hope it won't end up like the Mayfair Hotel.

From the CBC article:

Quote:"We're really excited. We think it's an incredible heritage building and we're looking forward to restoring the building," said Mitchell Cohen, CEO and president of Urbanfund Corp.

Which is fantastic news in my books.

I agree.  And keep the name too.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 07-28-2015

(07-28-2015, 07:54 PM)panamaniac Wrote: 40 renovated apartment units Downtown is good news.  I look forward to seeing what the building looks like after the renovation.  CKCO's report this evening indicated that they expected to be taking applications from tenants in about four months.

It is!  Recently most of the rental developments have been in Waterloo, so this will be very good.  

I hope these will be nice mid-market units.  I expect they won't cater to the same low-income renters (like before the sale), at those rents they would not be able to justify the renovations.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - CTGal1011 - 07-29-2015

(07-28-2015, 02:24 PM)ookpik Wrote: So "burning them down" isn't considered "a cooked deal"?   Tongue  Big Grin

*slow golf claps*

Well done.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - CTGal1011 - 07-29-2015

(07-28-2015, 09:43 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-28-2015, 07:54 PM)panamaniac Wrote: 40 renovated apartment units Downtown is good news.  I look forward to seeing what the building looks like after the renovation.  CKCO's report this evening indicated that they expected to be taking applications from tenants in about four months.

It is!  Recently most of the rental developments have been in Waterloo, so this will be very good.  

I hope these will be nice mid-market units.  I expect they won't cater to the same low-income renters (like before the sale), at those rents they would not be able to justify the renovations.

Not with a 2.4 million price tag, I would gather.

Oh, there was an environmental team at the back of the "Noir" property on Courtland (at Sandhills Park) yesterday. Clipboards in hand. They fixed the fence a bit (it was leaning). Didn't get a chance to snoop, as was out with family.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 07-29-2015

Has that sandy excavation at the "Noir" site filled back in yet? Smile

(07-28-2015, 04:25 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-23-2015, 10:46 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I saw that and assumed that they were putting in a new sub-floor. 

Subfloor is in, drywall is in.  Needs flooring and the walls finished.

And no indication of the future tenant yet.

Was the tenant not reported some time ago as being Dollar Tree?

Noticed some clean-up work going on at the "east" end of the American Hotel Block (next to Niko Niko). I despair of that mess being put into fit condition.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MacBerry - 07-29-2015

(07-28-2015, 02:08 PM)MidTowner Wrote: Lucky for the seller, he was able to give them a building that was already vacant as he had allowed it to become unsafe to occupy. Shrewd.

They should make slum landlords live in the building bfore they order it uninhabitable.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - TMKM94 - 07-29-2015

(07-29-2015, 02:54 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(07-28-2015, 04:25 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Subfloor is in, drywall is in.  Needs flooring and the walls finished.

And no indication of the future tenant yet.

Was the tenant not reported some time ago as being Dollar Tree?

I'm pretty sure it's Dollarama that's opening there.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 07-30-2015

(07-29-2015, 12:08 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Has that sandy excavation at the "Noir" site filled back in yet?  Smile

It's still a hill of sand, sadly.

[Image: qDWfUNK.jpg]

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 07-30-2015

With a bit of weeding and raking, that would make a nice neighbourhood sandbox!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 08-03-2015

108-110 Madison Ave was demolished and heir are plans for a new 15 unit residential development.
- 15115441 - Status Letter Sent
Permit Description Permit is to construct a retaining wall for a proposed 15 unit multiple dwelling.
Special Conditions See notes on drawings. All work shall comply with the 2012 Building Code Applicant's responsibility to provide set of approved permit drawings on site at all times.
Contractor RIGHT ANGLE CRAFTSMAN
Contractor Contact 261 FERN CRES WATERLOO ON N2V 2P9 phone 519-577-6664 phone2 519--
Construction Value $70000.00

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 08-04-2015

Right. But the building permit is only for the retaining wall for now.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 08-04-2015

I believe in most cases for a residential demolition permit to be issued the city has either already received a formal redevelopment application or the property owner has communicated their reasons otherwise for requesting a demolition permit.