Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Downtowns (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)



RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 08-04-2015

Right. But the building permit is only for the retaining wall for now.


RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 08-04-2015

I believe in most cases for a residential demolition permit to be issued the city has either already received a formal redevelopment application or the property owner has communicated their reasons otherwise for requesting a demolition permit.


RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 08-05-2015

I agree. But since the actual building permit is not yet applied for, I don't think start of construction is imminent.


RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 08-07-2015

The Record is reporting that Vidyard will take 80% of the space in the former Goudies building on Queen St N.  This will be triple the space they now occupy at 119 King St W.  The other 20% will be occupied by a brewpub!   Good news all around!

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5789210-goudies-vault-offers-curiosities-but-no-big-surprises/


RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 08-07-2015

Very exciting, I wonder if the brew pub will be home to Together we're Bitter or possibly a reinvented Imbibe, either way can't wait to check it out.


RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 08-07-2015

edit.


RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 08-10-2015

(08-07-2015, 07:49 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The Record is reporting that Vidyard will take 80% of the space in the former Goudies building on Queen St N.  This will be triple the space they now occupy at 119 King St W.  The other 20% will be occupied by a brewpub!   Good news all around!

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5789210-goudies-vault-offers-curiosities-but-no-big-surprises/

No kidding! Communitech should be very pleased about this- this is their third move now, and always stayed downtown. Three hundred more jobs smack in the middle of downtown is a great development. So is the bar, of course.


RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 08-13-2015

Just realized that the Urbanfund Corp. that's made some local plays is fronted in our region by Stephen Litt. We get rid of one generation of slumlord at 48 Weber St...


RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 08-14-2015

24 King Street East (or is this actually 26?) finally being (gently) disassembled.  There is a large dumpster but only two people working on site, at least as of this afternoon.

[Image: HKQ4XOh.jpg]


RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 08-18-2015

Is there anything planned for the empty lot on the intersection of Scott and Weber Streets? 5 years ago there was a plan for an 11 story condo but I believe that was scrapped. It's since sat vacant so long that it's turned back into a weedy lawn.


RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 08-18-2015

The 11 story condo building was slated for the parking lot across from they weedy lawn. It's currently up for sale.

I've never known what that other empty lot was intended for.


RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Square - 08-18-2015

Spokes: That other empty lot was suppose to be a 12 or so tall building also. I read an article in the Record newspaper about 10 years ago about it. Sorry can't find the link online (too old?) That area seems to have a hard time getting condo/rental buildings built.


RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 08-18-2015

(08-18-2015, 02:38 PM)Square Wrote: Spokes:  That other empty lot was suppose to be a 12 or so tall building also.   I read an article in the Record newspaper about 10 years ago about it.  Sorry can't find the link online (too old?)   That area seems to have a hard time getting condo/rental buildings built.

That seems vaguely familiar.  I always thought once the courthouse was built that would create some incentive, but I guess not.


RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 08-18-2015

I managed to find some information about both of those projects.

The Weber/Scott/Pearl Place one is for sale as mentioned and already zoned and approved for 11 floors (10 residential and 1 commercial). According to this article it was first planned to be 20 floors back in 2001 and over time shrunk. Current sale info can be found here. There's currently a really nice brutalist office building on this land owned by EIWO Canadian Management (who, if I recall, had a plan for a rather large office tower nearby many years ago) that must be included in the purchase. It's a rather are example of brutalist architecture in Waterloo Region though I doubt it would be preserved once purchased.

The adjacent Weber/Scott plot beside the courthouse once had an approved (at least according to this old SSP thread) plan for a 12 floor residential building and surface lot by Impulse Development Group which doesn't seem to exist any more. Here is an archived version of the page that once listed it. I guess whoever owns the land now is just sitting on it.

Since both of these parcels of land are zoned for high rise development, someone will surely go ahead with something eventually. Given how dense the area has always been with office towers and civic buildings, it would be a welcome addition.


RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 08-18-2015

The house next to the Weber/Scott plot is up for sale. It would be nice if the two lots could be consolidated for a larger project.