Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 09-18-2015

Technically Waterloo, yeah. I don't remember hearing about those houses; are they just being demolished, or is there a planned building there?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 09-19-2015

This is really the "borderlands"- only a few blocks into Waterloo.

There are townhouses planned here.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Lens - 09-22-2015

Some potential renders of what the Tannery's Joseph st building could be converted to.

[Image: 1518338_2.jpg?PhotoId=635782100712830000]

[Image: 1518338_1.jpg?PhotoId=635782100712700000]

[Image: 1518338_3.jpg?PhotoId=635782100712970000]
I think digging out a courtyard would be an excellent idea and it would really open up the sublevel space.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 09-22-2015

I love the idea of the sublevel courtyard if one change were made, stairs running the entire width of it walking down into it rather than a solid wall

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 09-22-2015

(09-22-2015, 07:01 AM)Spokes Wrote: I love the idea of the sublevel courtyard if one change were made, stairs running the entire width of it walking down into it rather than a solid wall

As it would all but assuredly be more tech space, a side-long stairs setup would be too open to the outside world, and would not fly. As much as there's to be openness within the workspace and amongst the tech crowd, the overall opacity between the tech crowd and everyone else will be maintained.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 09-22-2015

I noticed today that the new platform for the Glockenspiel is being installed a Speakers Corner, just in front of where it used to be. I guess the idea is to have it up and running for Octoberfest?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - white_brian - 09-23-2015

Have been off the forum for a bit and was trying to do a little/lot of catch up. I have heard but didn't notice any comment on McD's on King St in Kitchener, supposed to be closing shortly?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Lens - 09-23-2015

If that's true it's excellent news. They have a fair piece of land that's prime for redevelopment.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 09-23-2015

Where did you hear that rumour? I've heard different people hypothesize that, but nothing very credible- if you heard from someone who should know, this is great news.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - realtyforward - 09-23-2015

(09-23-2015, 11:43 AM)Lens Wrote: If that's true it's excellent news. They have a fair piece of land that's prime for redevelopment.

I believe the land for that site is corporately owned. Unless it was a result of poor sales, I can't see this location being closed. It stands to only benefit from increased LRT traffic and McD's doesn't need cash from real estate sales.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 09-23-2015

Keep in mind, "closed" could mean:

A) construction means business is slow enough to justify closing for a few months/years, though the business will be successful once things have finished.

B) construction means business is slow, and it is a good time to close to bring the building up to the modern McDonald's style (or reintroduce a form that allows drive-thru).

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - BuildingScout - 09-23-2015

(09-23-2015, 12:54 PM)realtyforward Wrote: I believe the land for that site is corporately owned. Unless it was a result of poor sales, I can't see this location being closed. It stands to only benefit from increased LRT traffic and McD's doesn't need cash from real estate sales.

I expect McDonalds to open a store right in the terminal, so closing this location down would make sense.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - white_brian - 09-23-2015

A number of staff were complaining that they are gonna be out of work (no time frame given, my mother was getting told all this while ordering coffee). As I had posted a while ago on another thread I think they are going to rebuild/remodel this location. A friend of mine was the contractor that was repainting locations set for construction a number of years ago. Most have since remodeled or are waiting for plans to be approved.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - gomesjustin - 09-24-2015

A nice two-story modern McD's that uses stone on the exterior would look great!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - TMKM94 - 09-24-2015

IMO It needs to be rebuilt, it's not wheelchair accessible and it's time for an update anyway. I hope McDonald's realizes the huge potential for there property and teams up with a developer(Probably Zehr?) and build a mixed use building with a big City style McDonald's (2 floors with a patio big advertising screens, big golden arch over the entrance). I don't think they would be allowed to rebuild a building with a drive-thru because of the new zoning rules.