Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 09-24-2015

I was against a new McDoanld's there because of other possible opportunities in a property across from "the Google building", but a nice 2 storey (or more!) McDonald's could change my mind.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - JCnb - 09-25-2015

Anyone know what the new parking lot at the corner of Breithaupt St. & Margaret Ave is for? It has space for approximately 73 vehicles and has a controlled entrance. Seems a little far from the new factory conversions but could be related?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - JoeKW - 10-01-2015

I'm not sure but there's someone who owns a lot of office space around there and I think he was setting up some parking lots for them.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - JCnb - 10-01-2015

CTV news has just announced that the King/Victoria McDonalds will be closing this month!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - white_brian - 10-01-2015

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile/construction-watch-fast-food-restaurant-closing-as-other-merchants-struggle-1.2590961

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - BuildingScout - 10-01-2015

The Kaufman building at GRH seems to be in pretty bad shape. I wonder if there are any plans to replace it in the near to medium future.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Lens - 10-02-2015

The exterior doesn't look that bad 

[Image: 16931418309_dd06be0b84_c.jpg]Grand River Hospital - Kaufman Building by Matt, on Flickr

Is the interior looking worse?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - BuildingScout - 10-02-2015

(10-02-2015, 12:33 AM)Lens Wrote: The exterior doesn't look that bad 

[Image: 16931418309_dd06be0b84_c.jpg]Grand River Hospital - Kaufman Building by Matt, on Flickr

Is the interior looking worse?

Zoom in, the brick is in rough shape. The interior is completely dated and would have to be fixed at great cost. The lot on the other hand would be a great place for a 15 story addition. Given the real rate of growth in the region (including students) I expect there will be a lot of demand for the space.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 10-04-2015

(10-01-2015, 06:08 PM)JCnb Wrote: CTV news has just announced that the King/Victoria McDonalds will be closing this month!

Thats fantastic!  I wonder if the land will be put up for sale?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - The85 - 10-04-2015

(10-04-2015, 10:26 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(10-01-2015, 06:08 PM)JCnb Wrote: CTV news has just announced that the King/Victoria McDonalds will be closing this month!

Thats fantastic!  I wonder if the land will be put up for sale?

McDonalds usually owns all of their standalone locations/properties rather than leases the space.

If they own the land, I can see them hanging on to it and rebuilding at a later date.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - white_brian - 10-04-2015

I have a sneaking suspicion that's what you'll see. If they just close up shop for a bit with no formal plans to rebuild then they are not obligated to the staff if they just close, other locations they always made short term arrangements for staff during the remodel.
This location is way to valuable going forward for the owner to just close up shop. That being Said I would love to see them incorporate a store in a larger scale development to maximize the space.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 10-04-2015

There isn't a whole lot of space to work with there in the first place, IIRC. Especially with some of the land being taken away for the King Street ROW. Though I could see something flatiron-esque going up there, around 5 stories tall.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 10-05-2015

A friend working at Igloo let me know via instagram that they now have signage up on the building! Thought this was noteworthy given that I can always see the TD building no matter where I am downtown.

[Image: 12132832_961033230616420_299460624_n.jpg]

I jokingly suggested turning one of the domes on top into an igloo, she hinted that that might actually be happening... we'll wait and see.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Coke6pk - 10-05-2015

(10-05-2015, 03:12 PM)GtwoK Wrote: [Image: 12132832_961033230616420_299460624_n.jpg]

I jokingly suggested turning one of the domes on top into an igloo, she hinted that that might actually be happening... we'll wait and see.

When I saw this picture, it was the first thing I thought of!  From a PR standpoint, would be a fantastic idea!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 10-24-2015

In an op-ed in today's Record re Downtown revitalization/gentrification, a VP at NetSuite indicated that they will soon be expanding into the former TD Canada Trust branch in the "Igloo Building". They already have offices on the 9th floor.

http://www.therecord.com/opinion-story/6032430-revitalization-to-some-is-gentrification-to-others/