Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Smore - 11-09-2015

The former Clarkes multi-modal transfer depot on Bingemans Centre Dr/Shirley Dr has seen quite a bit of grading lately...was it metrolinx that purchased the land?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - mpd618 - 11-09-2015

(11-09-2015, 10:57 PM)Smore Wrote: The former Clarkes multi-modal transfer depot on Bingemans Centre Dr/Shirley Dr has seen quite a bit of grading lately...was it metrolinx that purchased the land?

Yes, that's the location of a GO Transit train and bus facility, and I think it's required for the 2 more Toronto-bound trains promised for 2016.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - dunkalunk - 11-10-2015

(11-09-2015, 05:28 PM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote:
(11-08-2015, 12:32 PM)Lens Wrote: Apparently Nigel's Athletic Direct will be closing in December, citing ION construction etc.

I don't really believe so many businesses have closed their doors because of ION, I think it's marginally successful businesses with a good excuse to close.

Interestingly enough, I used to buy a ton of stuff at Nigel's when I was younger and he was at King Centre. I wasn't even aware he had a store at Market Square! I'll have to go and check it out before it closes. Sad

I think the problem is less ION construction and more Market Square. Unless it's in the food court, or some kind of office or institutional tenant, it's hard to see anything succeed in that mall. The dead street wall was an issue before ION construction and will remain an issue after.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 11-10-2015

(11-10-2015, 02:23 AM)dunkalunk Wrote:
(11-09-2015, 05:28 PM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: Interestingly enough, I used to buy a ton of stuff at Nigel's when I was younger and he was at King Centre. I wasn't even aware he had a store at Market Square! I'll have to go and check it out before it closes. Sad

I think the problem is less ION construction and more Market Square. Unless it's in the food court, or some kind of office or institutional tenant, it's hard to see anything succeed in that mall. The dead street wall was an issue before ION construction and will remain an issue after.

This.  At some point we realize this place is a wasteland and needs a complete overhaul.

Set up street level retail facing out not in, and everything else office space.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 11-10-2015

Eh, I could picture something very Eaton's Center-esque here. A nice, open mall with some outward facing retail and a tower in the middle could work well, if such a thing were possible.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 11-10-2015

It seems straighforward to me - enclose the wells over the basement (where the Stantec 'garden' is now), and completely refurbish the ground floor with street-facing retail on the edges and some larger stores inside. With the Frederick LRT station opening, I'm sure it would do very well.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-10-2015

(11-10-2015, 04:40 PM)KevinL Wrote: It seems straighforward to me - enclose the wells over the basement (where the Stantec 'garden' is now), and completely refurbish the ground floor with street-facing retail on the edges and some larger stores inside. With the Frederick LRT station opening, I'm sure it would do very well.

All great, but could they start by recladding the parking garage, which is a mess at the moment?  Hard to believe that the owner would allow it to get into that state.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 11-10-2015

(11-10-2015, 06:37 PM)panamaniac Wrote: All great, but could they start by recladding the parking garage, which is a mess at the moment?  Hard to believe that the owner would allow it to get into that state.

Also a fine idea; no saying they can't do both.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-10-2015

(11-10-2015, 07:41 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(11-10-2015, 06:37 PM)panamaniac Wrote: All great, but could they start by recladding the parking garage, which is a mess at the moment?  Hard to believe that the owner would allow it to get into that state.

Also a fine idea; no saying they can't do both.

OK.  In that case, I want them to put a couple of stories of glass on top of the Stantec office to create a bigger space and hide that side of the garage.  Smile

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-11-2015

Great news! A chute for demolition waste is being installed at the back of the Walper Hotel. This is it, finally! Smile

Queen St between Charles and Duke could be a very different kind of place a year from now.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 11-11-2015

The downtown Dollarama is opening today as promised... but not until 5PM, per a sign at the door.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-11-2015

(11-11-2015, 03:34 PM)KevinL Wrote: The downtown Dollarama is opening today as promised... but not until 5PM, per a sign at the door.

I passed by after the Remembrance Day ceremony, just as the sign about 5pm was put up in the door.  Much grumbling from a clutch of eager door crashers - i.e. the usual colourful Downtown characters who thought they would have something to do rather than sitting out front for a change.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 11-12-2015

I just noticed that The Sleep Management Group store at 704 King Street West has a sign up saying they have moved to Bruce Street. This has maybe been up for a while, but I hadn't noticed the sign.

This is a snow's throw from the Midtown Lofts development (only one lot separates them, as far as I can tell), on the corner of Andrew Street. We haven't seen any rumour of a development here (something was proposed a block down at Wellington), but it seems like it would be a prime time for this to be sold, hopefully for redevelopment, if it is to be vacated. I'm curious to see what will happen here.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ookpik - 11-12-2015

(11-12-2015, 03:16 PM)MidTowner Wrote: I just noticed that The Sleep Management Group store at 704 King Street West has a sign up saying they have moved...

Because LRT construction noise was preventing them from getting a full night's sleep? Smile

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-12-2015

(11-12-2015, 04:12 PM)ookpik Wrote:
(11-12-2015, 03:16 PM)MidTowner Wrote: I just noticed that The Sleep Management Group store at 704 King Street West has a sign up saying they have moved...

Because LRT construction noise was preventing them from getting a full night's sleep? Smile

They've moved to the corner of Bruce and Victoria (same strip mall as David's Gourment).