Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Downtowns (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: Mayfair Hotel - neonjoe - 06-12-2015

The new cross town iXpress routes on Highland/Victoria, Ottawa and University are meant to feed into the LRT for those in the suburbs.

RE: Mayfair Hotel - tomh009 - 06-12-2015

(06-12-2015, 09:47 AM)BuildingScout Wrote: I'm afraid that even then it won't be enough, judging from other urban examples. We are going from 0 buildings to 1 (Kaufman) to 3 (Kaufman+One Victoria+City Centre) so while the increase sounds like a lot, density is still extremely low in that area as far as downtown urban districts are concerned. We will need the other City Centre tower as well as the two towers in One Hundred Victoria before we start seeing critical mass. The transit hub will help a lot as the fact that a trip to downtown will be a breeze away when the LRT is in place. Then we'll see a clear pickup.

Four, including Arrow.  But, yes, it's only the beginning.  Hopefully 100 Victoria will be approved in September and take us that much closer.

RE: Mayfair Hotel - tomh009 - 06-12-2015

(06-12-2015, 10:17 AM)Owen Wrote: This brings up my biggest issue with the LRT - "a trip downtown is a breeze away when the LRT is in place"  ... for who?? 
Maybe a better statement would be a "a trip between downtowns is a breeze".  It'll make downtown Kitchener easily accessible for downtown Waterloo residents, and vice versa.  That is not so much the case now, so it still adds to the critical mass of customers for businesses.

(06-12-2015, 10:17 AM)Owen Wrote: Since the province is now providing 100% funding for this sort of thing we should be lobbying for a Phase II LRT that adds loops from the outer areas into the core to augment the main line!
I agree and I hope they are working on this.  Something along the lines of the old "8-loop" bus route would be good, but really need to focus on areas where there will be (or already is) intensification, and thus enough passengers.

RE: Mayfair Hotel - BuildingScout - 06-12-2015

(06-12-2015, 10:17 AM)Owen Wrote: This brings up my biggest issue with the LRT - "a trip downtown is a breeze away when the LRT is in place"  ... for who?? 

30,000+ students/faculty at UW, 15,000+ at WLU, and the thousands of people who happen to work close to R&T Park, Northfield, and Uptown. I estimate the total number of people who could jump on the LRT and head downtown for lunch or after work dinner around 60,000.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - white_brian - 06-12-2015

The area they have been fishing in is the Benton to Stirling stretch. I know a few units have been picked because the for rent signs phone numbers match the phone numbers she was given as contact info.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-12-2015

(06-12-2015, 01:57 PM)white_brian Wrote: The area they have been fishing in is the Benton to Stirling stretch. I know a few units have been picked because the for rent signs phone numbers match the phone numbers she was given as contact info.

Both units of the duplex beside the site for the future "Noir", across from Courtland SPS are currently listed for sale.

RE: Mayfair Hotel - panamaniac - 06-12-2015

(06-12-2015, 12:17 PM)BuildingScout Wrote:

30,000+ students/faculty at UW, 15,000+ at WLU, and the thousands of people who happen to work close to R&T Park, Northfield, and Uptown. I estimate the total number of people who could jump on the LRT and head downtown for lunch or after work dinner around 60,000.

And if you think the lunch line up at Holy Guacamole is long now..... Smile

RE: Mayfair Hotel - Owen - 06-12-2015

(06-12-2015, 12:17 PM)BuildingScout Wrote:

... but why in their right mind would they (the 60,000) want to spend the extra time to ride past uptown Waterloo (5 min away) to come all the way downtown Kitchener? I love downtown Kitchener so I'm not trying to be a pessimist - but I don't see the logic driving all those people to take a ride on the LRT to come visit downtown Kitchener... to what... go for a walk? This goes back to my earlier point: Perhaps if we had some really enticing/attractive destinations downtown Kitchener - so perhaps once we have several more top tier restaurants (I'm talking 10+) and a nightclub/lounge/bar scene equal in calibre to what Uptown Waterloo has to offer - then perhaps it could actually draw a crowd from the other end of town, but I still think tens of thousands making the trip on a regular basis is a stretch. What would actually be useful would be if we had a transit system that allowed the average resident living in KW to ditch their car - and feeder buses are fine, but the reality is when you start introducing transfers from Bus to LRT (and perhaps back to bus again), a trip to work or shopping starts to become a 30 to 45 minute affair and a car is just more practical.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - white_brian - 06-12-2015

They went up for sale along with a few other "development potential " listing on Courtland shortly after the second guy was through the neighborhood. It was like when Northdale's new zoing plan was passed. Development potential for sale signs everywhere.

RE: Mayfair Hotel - plam - 06-12-2015

(06-12-2015, 03:11 PM)Owen Wrote: ... but why in their right mind would they (the 60,000) want to spend the extra time to ride past uptown Waterloo (5 min away) to come all the way downtown Kitchener?   I love downtown Kitchener so I'm not trying to be a pessimist - but I don't see the logic driving all those people to take a ride on the LRT to come visit downtown Kitchener... to what... go for a walk?  This goes back to my earlier point: Perhaps if we had some really enticing/attractive destinations downtown Kitchener - so perhaps once we have several more top tier restaurants (I'm talking 10+) and a nightclub/lounge/bar scene equal in calibre to what Uptown Waterloo has to offer - then perhaps it could actually draw a crowd from the other end of town, but I still think tens of thousands making the trip on a regular basis is a stretch.   What would actually be useful would be if we had a transit system that allowed the average resident living in KW to ditch their car - and feeder buses are fine, but the reality is when you start introducing transfers from Bus to LRT (and perhaps back to bus again), a trip to work or shopping starts to become a 30 to 45 minute affair and a car is just more practical.

I live pretty close to uptown Waterloo but I do hop on my bike to get stuff in downtown Kitchener, for instance banh mi. I'd suggest that Duke Food Block would be much more of a lunch destination than top tier restaurants.