Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 11-18-2015

That headline is strange to me. It seems likely that more of the moved employees would be going to the King Street North location as opposed to the downtown office. Pity they didn't ask for a breakdown.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - taylortbb - 11-18-2015

(11-18-2015, 08:28 PM)MidTowner Wrote: That headline is strange to me. It seems likely that more of the moved employees would be going to the King Street North location as opposed to the downtown office. Pity they didn't ask for a breakdown.

The article said "Now, up to another 400 employees will be move into that location", in reference to the downtown Kitchener location. I suspect that more specific numbers aren't confirmed yet, but it's probably pretty close to the actual number. Given the square footage at King Centre it seems like Manulife should have lots more space.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 11-18-2015

(11-18-2015, 08:46 PM)taylortbb Wrote: The article said "Now, up to another 400 employees will be move into that location", in reference to the downtown Kitchener location. I suspect that more specific numbers aren't confirmed yet, but it's probably pretty close to the actual number. Given the square footage at King Centre it seems like Manulife should have lots more space.

Sorry- I meant that I wish that numbers moving to each of King North and downtown would have been identified. It didn't say how many would move to the headquarters, and I initially assumed that the brunt might go there. But it now occurs to me that I have little conception of how large their Weber office was- for all I know, it was little more than 400.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 11-19-2015

(11-12-2015, 09:34 PM)mpd618 Wrote:
(11-12-2015, 05:13 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The former TD Canada Trust space on King at Ontario St is being gutted this week for its conversion to office space.

That will be used by Netsuite.

Demolition proceeding at full speed, doesn't look like a bank branch any more!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 11-19-2015

I always have a hard time getting excited about ground floor office space. Obviously it's better than being empty, but not what I really picture when I think of an active street front.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 11-19-2015

(11-19-2015, 11:34 AM)Spokes Wrote: I always have a hard time getting excited about ground floor office space.  Obviously it's better than being empty, but not what I really picture when I think of an active street front.

Not exciting, but like the Manulife move to downtown, it gets more people working downtown, which is very much a good thing.

A snapshot of the interior as of this afternoon:

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 11-19-2015

Caveats, though. If we get new employment downtown (good), we don't want too much of it to be street fronting (destroys sense of place), nor catered lunches (removes the possibility of support for local eateries).

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-19-2015

Does anyone know what's happening with the renovations at Weber Chambers (next to the Mayfair site)? The apartment renovations seemed to come to a halt after the Mayfair renovation, which leaves me wondering if there is still a risk to the building?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-20-2015

According to CTV news, the former Berlin Palace (now renamed "The Windemere") at 48 Weber St W will have 8 of its 40 one bedroom apartments ready in early December. The renovations should be completed in February.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-20-2015

Sections of the brick cladding on the Market Square parking garage have been removed, I assume to be replaced by new brick. I don't know how it will look when completed, but at least it shouldn't look like a danger zone for falling bricks as it has for the past year.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - administrator - 11-20-2015

(11-20-2015, 07:55 PM)panamaniac Wrote: According to CTV news, the former Berlin Palace (now renamed "The Windemere") at 48 Weber St W will have 8 of its 40 one bedroom apartments ready in early December.  The renovations should be completed in February.

Check out their website:  http://48windermere.com/

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 11-24-2015

(11-20-2015, 08:48 PM)administrator Wrote:
(11-20-2015, 07:55 PM)panamaniac Wrote: According to CTV news, the former Berlin Palace (now renamed "The Windemere") at 48 Weber St W will have 8 of its 40 one bedroom apartments ready in early December.  The renovations should be completed in February.

Check out their website:  http://48windermere.com/

The concept is promising.  Let's see what the reality is once they have some photos available ...

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-27-2015

I noticed that the former 7-11 at King St W and Wellington is being refurbished. The exterior is sort of beige with a broad yellow band, a colourway that I don't recognize. Does anyone know what is moving in there?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 11-27-2015

JoeKW what was the something big?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Lens - 11-30-2015

618 King Street West, the building adjacent to the now closed McDonald's was recently sold. It was listed as a redevelopment opportunity in the sales literature but it's a perfectly fine building as is so who knows if it will be.

The red rowhouses/apartments directly across from Arrow were painted grey... They look a lot worse IMO. I don't understand why property owners think slapping stucco or paint on a building will suddenly make it more attractive when it almost always makes it worse.