Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 12-02-2015

(12-02-2015, 03:27 PM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(12-02-2015, 12:33 PM)panamaniac Wrote: That's a Bernie Nimer building - it was next on his list to renovate until the Mayfair demolition sidetracked things.  I don't know if the renos are being done on spec or if there are particular lessees lined up.

Bernie usually does renos on spec at the request of the tenant.

Here is what it looks like:

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 12-02-2015

There's an impressive amount of work happening in that area at the moment - this building, the Walper, and 8 Queen N under active renovation, the basement renovation at Darlisle Café (soon, one hopes), the east end of the American Hotel block being rebuilt (slowly), the Berlin and the Amaya Indian restaurants (wants to open this year, but city permits may delay until early 2016) on King St . Not to mention the possible renovation of more of the American Hotel block.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 12-02-2015

The hoarding came down today at the former Braun shop on King E near Eby and it looks very good - the ground floor has large windows above the new stonework and the entry door/vesibule is also glass.  There is no tenant identified yet, but this would make very attractive office space.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 12-03-2015

(12-02-2015, 06:00 PM)panamaniac Wrote: There's an impressive amount of work happening in that area at the moment - this building, the Walper, and 8 Queen N under active renovation, the basement renovation at Darlisle Café (soon, one hopes), the east end of the American Hotel block being rebuilt (slowly), the Berlin and the Amaya Indian restaurants (wants to open this year, but city permits may delay until early 2016) on King St .  Not to mention the possible renovation of more of the American Hotel block.

I think this is showing that downtown is more than just King St, that it is slowly but surely expanding.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 12-03-2015

(12-02-2015, 06:03 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The hoarding came down today at the former Braun shop on King E near Eby and it looks very good - the ground floor has large windows above the new stonework and the entry door/vesibule is also glass.  There is no tenant identified yet, but this would make very attractive office space.

I walked past there this morning, it looks well done.

The former Pinto Shop across the street (243 King E) also looks done, they were putting on the finishing touches outside.  But no sign of a tenant there, either.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 12-03-2015

(12-03-2015, 09:24 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(12-02-2015, 06:00 PM)panamaniac Wrote: There's an impressive amount of work happening in that area at the moment - this building, the Walper, and 8 Queen N under active renovation, the basement renovation at Darlisle Café (soon, one hopes), the east end of the American Hotel block being rebuilt (slowly), the Berlin and the Amaya Indian restaurants (wants to open this year, but city permits may delay until early 2016) on King St .  Not to mention the possible renovation of more of the American Hotel block.

I think this is showing that downtown is more than just King St, that it is slowly but surely expanding.

(12-03-2015, 10:31 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-02-2015, 06:03 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The hoarding came down today at the former Braun shop on King E near Eby and it looks very good - the ground floor has large windows above the new stonework and the entry door/vesibule is also glass.  There is no tenant identified yet, but this would make very attractive office space.

I walked past there this morning, it looks well done.

The former Pinto Shop across the street (243 King E) also looks done, they were putting on the finishing touches outside.  But no sign of a tenant there, either.

The Little Pinto shop building is a pretty amazing improvement - I think the upstairs is now occupied (residence or business, I don't know).  It looks like a deck will be added upstairs at the back.  Even the area behind the building has been fully landscaped.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - clasher - 12-03-2015

I love that little pinto building, easily one of my favourite small buildings in the downtown. I'm a sucker for anything art deco-ish though.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 12-03-2015

(12-03-2015, 01:28 PM)clasher Wrote: I love that little pinto building, easily one of my favourite small buildings in the downtown. I'm a sucker for anything art deco-ish though.

The old Post Office/Dominion Public Building on Duke St is our best example, along with the PUC Building.  The old Land Registry Office (Registry Theatre) has deco design elements inside and out.  The Little Pinto is the most modest example.  The Dollarama and the old Biltmore (Dallas) are late Deco-influenced buildings.  Any others in the Downtown? 

Since I never know where to put the line between Art Deco and Moderne, I thought of two more - the old Eatons used to have streamlined features, but they were lost in the condo conversion.  The building at the corner of Duke and Frederick also has streamlined windows and the rounded corner, but it's hidden behind that rather unfortunate metal cladding.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - clasher - 12-03-2015

I've always loved the PUC building too, back when I was a drinker I was thinking it would be a lovely place for a brew-pub, the big windows at the front could showcase the kettles and tanks nicely. The Scotiabank on King might be deco-ish too, but I dunno. The crabby joes might count too. I like both those buildings.

Speaking of Dollarama I was in there yesterday and it doesn't seem like they've even got all the stock in there yet, or they were sold out of a bunch of stuff... they do have a decent selection of food though, cheapest place to get almond milk it seems.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Markster - 12-03-2015

The Dollarama has a ridiculous amount of Christmas supplies. Well over half the store right now.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ookpik - 12-03-2015

(12-03-2015, 02:59 PM)Markster Wrote: The Dollarama has a ridiculous amount of Christmas supplies.  Well over half the store right now.

If a retailer is going to bet big on Christmas sales, it seems to me that now would be the best time-of-year to do it Wink

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - kps - 12-03-2015

(12-03-2015, 01:45 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Any others in the Downtown? 

There's the Duke wing of the Forsyth building, right beside the new City Hall…

Oh. Never mind.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 12-03-2015

(12-03-2015, 02:51 PM)clasher Wrote: Speaking of Dollarama I was in there yesterday and it doesn't seem like they've even got all the stock in there yet, or they were sold out of a bunch of stuff... they do have a decent selection of food though, cheapest place to get almond milk it seems.

I overheard the staff saying that the full expected stock hadn't come in before the opening, and it could take another month before they have everything in that they expected. In the meantime, it seems the extra space is handy for the seasonal (Christmas) stock.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 12-03-2015

A project is going up at the corner of Victoria St and Chestnut, I would check the Kitchener gis map but it doesn't work so well with my phone.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 12-03-2015

(12-03-2015, 11:06 PM)rangersfan Wrote: A project is going up at the corner of Victoria St and Chestnut, I would check the Kitchener gis map but it doesn't work so well with my phone.

The building permit is for the construction of two new duplexes with attached garages.  Looks like the existing detached house  is also staying, if I interpreted it correctly.