Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 12-04-2015

Thanks tomh009, the foundations for this project seem to be well underway.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 12-04-2015

That's been on icx.ca for a little while. 8 Chestnut: https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/16229494/8-CHESTNUT-Street-Kitchener-Ontario-N2H1T6

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 12-04-2015

(12-04-2015, 09:22 AM)MidTowner Wrote: That's been on icx.ca for a little while. 8 Chestnut: https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/16229494/8-CHESTNUT-Street-Kitchener-Ontario-N2H1T6

Hmmm.  One MLS listing.  Two building permits.  What's actually being built there?  The lot description in the MLS listing seems far smaller than the property in GIS, so it seems they are planning to subdivide and sell in two or more pieces, maybe.

It looks to me like 4 and 8 Chestnut were both severed from 411 Victoria. Those addresses on Chestnut don't seem to have existed before. Perhaps they're just using one listing for now, if both buildings are built to the same plans.

(12-04-2015, 10:34 AM)MidTowner Wrote: It looks to me like 4 and 8 Chestnut were both severed from 411 Victoria. Those addresses on Chestnut don't seem to have existed before. Perhaps they're just using one listing for now, if both buildings are built to the same plans.

Perhaps.  The building permits are not identical, though.  Or maybe the owner is planning to keep one of the duplexes.

(12-04-2015, 11:03 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Perhaps.  The building permits are not identical, though.  Or maybe the owner is planning to keep one of the duplexes.

That's a possibility, too. For my own education, how do you know they're not identical? Except for the addresses, they look the same to me: "PERMIT IS FOR A NEW DUPLEX WITH ATTACHED GARAGES."

(12-04-2015, 11:11 AM)MidTowner Wrote:
(12-04-2015, 11:03 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Perhaps.  The building permits are not identical, though.  Or maybe the owner is planning to keep one of the duplexes.

That's a possibility, too. For my own education, how do you know they're not identical? Except for the addresses, they look the same to me: "PERMIT IS FOR A NEW DUPLEX WITH ATTACHED GARAGES."

You can see the costs are different.  The application dates are the same, so submitted together.

Actually, expanding the land use details reveals that it indeed is three separate buildings:
  • PLAN 374 PT LOT 245 RP 58R-18621 PTS 3 & 4 (first duplex)
  • PLAN 374 PT LOT 245 RP 58R-18621 PT 5 (second duplex)
  • PLAN 374 PT LOT 245 RP 58R-18621 PT 6 (extension of single detached house)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 12-05-2015

The Downtown space in Weber Chambers formerly occupied by Bead Boutique (which has moved to Belmont Village) has been leased.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - TMKM94 - 12-06-2015

(12-02-2015, 12:00 PM)white_brian Wrote: It looks like 7/11 @ King & Wellington is gonna be the new MoneyMart

I noticed it's actually CashMoney, not like that's any better, it's such a shame that 7 eleven closed  Dodgy Sad  the area is very different then it was at the beginning of the year. I feel bad for the KCI students no more McDonald's or 7 eleven and it's tricky to even go to Central fresh.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - BuildingScout - 12-06-2015

(12-06-2015, 04:37 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: I feel bad for the KCI students no more McDonald's or 7 eleven and it's tricky to even go to Central fresh.

Presently many go to the Tim Hortons at the hospital for snacks, but they were lucky in that choice. WCI has nothing within twice that distance because opening a store nearby would surely make the entire area into a ghetto.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 12-06-2015

(12-06-2015, 04:37 AM)TMKM94 Wrote:
(12-02-2015, 12:00 PM)white_brian Wrote: It looks like 7/11 @ King & Wellington is gonna be the new MoneyMart

I noticed it's actually CashMoney, not like that's any better, it's such a shame that 7 eleven closed  Dodgy Sad  the area is very different then it was at the beginning of the year. I feel bad for the KCI students no more McDonald's or 7 eleven and it's tricky to even go to Central fresh.

Isn't there one a block north of there?  Same side of King?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 12-06-2015

(12-06-2015, 04:37 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: I noticed it's actually CashMoney, not like that's any better, it's such a shame that 7 eleven closed  Dodgy Sad  the area is very different then it was at the beginning of the year. I feel bad for the KCI students no more McDonald's or 7 eleven and it's tricky to even go to Central fresh.

Additionally they lost Big General Pizza on King near Louisa not too long ago.

Really unfortunate about 7/11.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ookpik - 12-06-2015

(12-06-2015, 09:42 AM)MidTowner Wrote:
(12-06-2015, 04:37 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: I feel bad for the KCI students no more McDonald's or 7 eleven and it's tricky to even go to Central fresh.

Additionally they lost Big General Pizza on King near Louisa not too long ago.

If it influences more students to bring fresh food from home the loss of these fine dining establishments might improve students' nutrition and general health  Angel

In any case their loss should result in gains for the recently-reopened convenience store at Park and Walter  Big Grin

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 12-06-2015

(12-06-2015, 11:56 AM)ookpik Wrote: If it influences more students to bring fresh food from home the loss of these fine dining establishments might improve students' nutrition and general health  Angel

haha It's possible, who knows. Maybe a few of them will get more exercise hiking a bit further to the pizza place in the plaza by Moore and King.

It's true that the uses TMKM94 and I mentioned could be considered a bit marginal. It's still sad to see the neighbourhood losing these things- 7/11 was actually my nearest bank for many things (it had a Scotia ATM). I guess maybe now I have more financial services available nearby from the pay day loans place...

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 12-06-2015

Are people forgetting that a Hasty Market and shwarma place have opened across the street from the 7-11? Something's lost, but something's gained....