Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 12-06-2015

(06-03-2015, 06:11 AM)rangersfan Wrote: The Coptic Orthodox Church [On Ottawa South]  is expanding, further details below :
http://www.google.ca/url?q=http://kitchener.ca.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php%3Fview_id%3D2%26clip_id%3D326%26meta_id%3D17372&sa=U&ei=JtBuVYb-LcrvtQWTq4GoBw&ved=0CBYQFjAF&usg=AFQjCNFUysKUycRS-xcjZMbn5rhxztiyDA

A look at its current state of construction:

[Image: xxysJOy.png]

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 12-06-2015

The addition(s) to the church looks like it will have a bigger footprint(s) than the church itself.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 12-06-2015

(12-06-2015, 09:59 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The addition(s) to the church looks like it will have a bigger footprint(s) than the church itself.

It could be bigger yet!  This is the new Coptic Cathedral on Steeles in Markham:

[Image: 2014-Tor-St.-Marks-Coptic-Cathedral-September-010.jpg]

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - TMKM94 - 12-06-2015

(12-06-2015, 11:56 AM)ookpik Wrote:
(12-06-2015, 09:42 AM)MidTowner Wrote: Additionally they lost Big General Pizza on King near Louisa not too long ago.

If it influences more students to bring fresh food from home the loss of these fine dining establishments might improve students' nutrition and general health  Angel
I can't believe I forgot to mention Big Generals. I was probably one of the few students that brought there own lunch more then going out. But every once in a while I would treat myself. When it was hot it was nice to go to 7 eleven and get a slurpee or Tim's for an iced capp or smoothie.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 12-06-2015

(12-06-2015, 10:52 PM)TMKM94 Wrote:
(12-06-2015, 11:56 AM)ookpik Wrote: If it influences more students to bring fresh food from home the loss of these fine dining establishments might improve students' nutrition and general health  Angel
I can't believe I forgot to mention Big Generals. I was probably one of the few students that brought there own lunch more then going out. But every once in a while I would treat myself. When it was hot it was nice to go to 7 eleven and get a slurpee or Tim's for an iced capp or smoothie.

Is there no cafeteria at KCI?  I could have sworn there used to be one, a long time ago ...

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - TMKM94 - 12-06-2015

There is one but the prices are a bit ridiculous since the vending machine company took over the cafeteria in 2011 and didn't have much selection, another company took over the caf in 2013  there selection was better but they kept the high prices and since the new Provincial regulations came in that banned unhealthy food from being sold at Schools the selection might not impress a lot of students, I thought the selection was good though.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 12-08-2015

I noticed that more renovations are taking place at the former Schreiter-Sandrock on Benton at Church - a building permit has been issued for the conversion of the property to medical offices.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Watdot - 12-08-2015

Abe Erb will be opening another location in The Tannery.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 12-08-2015

(12-08-2015, 03:30 PM)Watdot Wrote: Abe Erb will be opening another location in The Tannery.

Do you know where in the Tannery? The Firkin isn't going out of business, is it?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Watdot - 12-08-2015

(12-08-2015, 04:18 PM)GtwoK Wrote:
(12-08-2015, 03:30 PM)Watdot Wrote: Abe Erb will be opening another location in The Tannery.

Do you know where in the Tannery? The Firkin isn't going out of business, is it?

I don't know exactly, just heard from the owner the deal was recently signed.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 12-08-2015

That (Abe Erb) is great news.  The number of new places opening up is making Downtown an excellent food/drink option.  While driving around today on errands, I noticed some work taking place at the future Descendants micor-brewery on Victoria N.  People were also inside the former Ceasaria at 320 King W, although the progress on the new pub there has been painfully slow.  Berlin looks like it could be ready to open as soon as the furniture arrives (it's custom build, so I hope there's no undue delay there).

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 12-08-2015

That's amazing!  Big fan of theirs.

I do hope it's not at the expense of the Firkin though.  I'd guess it's not as they'd have already shut down if they planned on doing so.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 12-08-2015

(12-08-2015, 05:05 PM)panamaniac Wrote: That (Abe Erb) is great news.  The number of new places opening up is making Downtown an excellent food/drink option.  While driving around today on errands, I noticed some work taking place at the future Descendants micor-brewery on Victoria N.  People were also inside the former Ceasaria at 320 King W, although the progress on the new pub there has been painfully slow.  Berlin looks like it could be ready to open as soon as the furniture arrives (it's custom build, so I hope there's no undue delay there).

It seems that the emphasis in downtown Kitchener is clearly swinging to food and drink, whereas in uptown Waterloo there seems to be more shopping and maybe less food and drink.

Or am I hallucinating?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ookpik - 12-09-2015

We were at Abe Erb for dinner this evening. Their food menu has been expanded significantly. And the BBQ ribs are back!

Bravo!!!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 12-09-2015

(12-08-2015, 11:10 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-08-2015, 05:05 PM)panamaniac Wrote: That (Abe Erb) is great news.  The number of new places opening up is making Downtown an excellent food/drink option.  While driving around today on errands, I noticed some work taking place at the future Descendants micor-brewery on Victoria N.  People were also inside the former Ceasaria at 320 King W, although the progress on the new pub there has been painfully slow.  Berlin looks like it could be ready to open as soon as the furniture arrives (it's custom build, so I hope there's no undue delay there).

It seems that the emphasis in downtown Kitchener is clearly swinging to food and drink, whereas in uptown Waterloo there seems to be more shopping and maybe less food and drink.

Or am I hallucinating?

Uptown has good drinking/dining options along with the retail.  In the case of Downtown, the hope is that retail will follow an expanding residential/working population, but there's not been too much sign of it yet.