Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Smore - 03-02-2016

(03-02-2016, 11:29 AM)GtwoK Wrote: I want to see more done with that one, though, being on a main street and centrally downtown. Especially next to what will be One Hundred. Would love to see the W&W property bought up by whomever owns Huck, and incorporated into an extension somehow.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this property is part of the 100 Vic development?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Owen - 03-03-2016

(03-02-2016, 10:51 PM)Smore Wrote:
(03-02-2016, 11:29 AM)GtwoK Wrote: I want to see more done with that one, though, being on a main street and centrally downtown. Especially next to what will be One Hundred. Would love to see the W&W property bought up by whomever owns Huck, and incorporated into an extension somehow.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this property is part of the 100 Vic development?

It is not. It (both 114 and 118 Vic) is still owned by the family that operates W&W. The 100 Vic assembly includes 98, 100, 100 1/2 (the odd little 'cottage' behind 98 and 100), and 110 Victoria (the former bakery).

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Smore - 03-03-2016

(03-03-2016, 08:57 AM)Owen Wrote:
(03-02-2016, 10:51 PM)Smore Wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this property is part of the 100 Vic development?

It is not. It (both 114 and 118 Vic) is still owned by the family that operates W&W. The 100 Vic assembly includes 98, 100, 100 1/2 (the odd little 'cottage' behind 98 and 100), and 110 Victoria (the former bakery).

Thanks! If anyone knows this development, its probably Owen...

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 03-04-2016

They are working flat out to get the former Entertaining Elements (aka former Somers) building ready to open before the end of the month. Some rather questionable looking (imo) barn board is being applied to the façade today. The canopy/signs are up - the buiding has been divided into two spaces. The restaurant/lounge Harmony will be on the east side and the west side will by GypsyLee, a clothing shop.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - LesPio - 03-11-2016

(03-04-2016, 04:26 PM)panamaniac Wrote: They are working flat out to get the former Entertaining Elements (aka former Somers) building ready to open before the end of the month.  Some rather questionable looking (imo) barn board is being applied to the façade today.  The canopy/signs are up - the buiding has been divided into two spaces.  The restaurant/lounge Harmony will be on the east side and the west side will by GypsyLee, a clothing shop.

Article from the Record Feb 6th, 2016

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6265584-techies-and-foodies-driving-change-in-downtown-kitchener-restaurant-scene/

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 03-15-2016

An interesting piece in the Record the other day about Doug Freure (formerly of Freure Homes) and his non-profit company that plans to build affordable rental housing. In particular, he has preliminary plans for a four and a six storey rental apartment (or possibly seniors condos) at the corner of King St E and Sheldon Ave. Freure is reported as hoping to start construction by late August, although that seems very ambitious.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6390687-builder-wants-to-develop-homes-for-ordinary-people/

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 03-17-2016

I've noticed a bit of renovation work going on at the old Boehmer Box factory at Duke and Breithaupt Sts, including a couple of new windows in one corner this past week, Has anyone heard whether anything significant is happening? The building would seem like an obvious candidate for eventual Tannery/Breithaupt Block treatment.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 03-17-2016

It's the quintessential Brick-and-Beam that goes for top dollar, so this should happen eventually.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 03-21-2016

Some Downtown randoms:

A "For Lease" sign has gone up at the former Macintosh Dry Cleaners on Victoria St S.  The building is actually a fair size, but I'd wonder whether it's not impregnated with dry cleaning chemicals?  

There has been a bit of activity in recent weeks at 1 King St E., but it seems to be more clean-up than the start of renovations.  In the last couple of weeks, the fittings of the former cash store on the corner have been ripped out.  Capers bar is still open.

The on-again, off-again renovation work at the old Hive (King E at Scott) has been on again for the last couple of weeks.   What is it since The Hive closed - about two years?  

The on-again, off-again renovation of the former Ceasaria (420 King St W) seems to be off again - the building has been dark and quiet in recent weeks.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 03-22-2016

(03-21-2016, 04:56 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Some Downtown randoms:

A "For Lease" sign has gone up at the former Macintosh Dry Cleaners on Victoria St S.  The building is actually a fair size, but I'd wonder whether it's not impregnated with dry cleaning chemicals?  

There has been a bit of activity in recent weeks at 1 King St E., but it seems to be more clean-up than the start of renovations.  In the last couple of weeks, the fittings of the former cash store on the corner have been ripped out.  Capers bar is still open.

The on-again, off-again renovation work at the old Hive (King E at Scott) has been on again for the last couple of weeks.   What is it since The Hive closed - about two years?  

The on-again, off-again renovation of the former Ceasaria (420 King St W) seems to be off again - the building has been dark and quiet in recent weeks.

Thanks for the updates!

Did this one end up getting heritage protection?  I remember it was being discussed at one point.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 03-22-2016

I can't swear to it, but I don't think so.  It would only be the drive-thru portion/façade that would be of interest in that regard - as far as I know there is nothing unique about the rest of the building, although I have never been inside.  I think it could be an interesting location for a restaurant or brew pub.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Pheidippides - 03-24-2016

Kitchener City hall outdoor spaces master plan slides:
https://www.kitchener.ca/en/insidecityhall/resources/FM_2016-03-21-Open-House-Boards_Full-Set.pdf

Project page:
https://www.kitchener.ca/en/insidecityhall/City-Hall-Outdoor-Spaces.asp

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - curious_look - 03-25-2016

This is really interesting, thanks! I like the idea of making the fountain a reflecting pool that can be more interactive.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 03-25-2016

Am I seeing correctly that the proposals eliminate the stage from the square? I would have thought that a covered stage should be an essential component of any remodelling.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Pheidippides - 03-25-2016

I see a retractable stage in option one and permanent stage in option two; neither looks covered.