Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 04-28-2016

What? There are people living on the SOUTH side of the 401? Seriously?

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - 519 - 04-28-2016

Is that blue shape on the sign meant to be a representation of the shape of the lot?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 04-28-2016

(04-28-2016, 05:13 PM)519 Wrote: Is that blue shape on the sign meant to be a representation of the shape of the lot?

I've wondered about that myself.  I'm not sure, but I think the lot may indeed have a narrow strip that stretches over to Hebel Pl (Kitchener's narrowest residential street?).

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 04-28-2016

(04-28-2016, 05:22 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-28-2016, 05:13 PM)519 Wrote: Is that blue shape on the sign meant to be a representation of the shape of the lot?

I've wondered about that myself.  I'm not sure, but I think the lot may indeed have a narrow strip that stretches over to Hebel Pl (Kitchener's narrowest residential street?).

It does, yes.  See this map:

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 04-28-2016

Oddities of 19th century Kitchener. If you look at that map just beside 155, you can see a house behind the Benton St row that seems totally misplaced in relation to St George. I assume that the house was there well before the the Benton row or the neighbouring houses on St George. If you look around, there are a number of anomalies like that in the pre-War urban fabric.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 04-30-2016

I've heard from a man who purported to be the owner of the Shopper's building downtown / owner of the white building behind that (26 college, I believe?) that that building, and the shoppers parking lot, are slated for demolition. Supposedly, a 17 storey condo is planned for the 2 lots.

The guys credentials seems valid as far as I could tell, he was discussing this with the store manager at Shopper's, who I later asked and was told that the guy owned both properties.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 04-30-2016

Very interesting considering how recently it was all renovated.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - notmyfriends - 04-30-2016

I think he's just referring to 26 college being demolished and the adjacent parking lot. Seems like an appropriate lot for redevelopment.

Yeah, sorry, just the lots on the corner behind the laneway. The 3 in red here.

[Image: VWzzr1m.png]

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 04-30-2016

I always just assumed that those properties belonged to the church. It would be nice to see a development go up there - the footprint seems a bit small for a 17 storey tower, but I guess if there were a parking podium.....

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Rainrider22 - 04-30-2016

(04-30-2016, 03:18 PM)GtwoK Wrote: I've heard from a man who purported to be the owner of the Shopper's building downtown / owner of the white building behind that (26 college, I believe?) that that building, and the shoppers parking lot, are slated for demolition. Supposedly, a 17 storey condo is planned for the 2 lots.

The guys credentials seems valid as far as I could tell, he was discussing this with the store manager at Shopper's, who I later asked and was told that the guy owned both properties.

If it is designed well, that would be a really good compliment to City Centre and the area as a whole.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 04-30-2016

(04-30-2016, 05:00 PM)panamaniac Wrote: the footprint seems a bit small for a 17 storey tower

I've seen similar heights go up in Toronto on similar footprints.

I was just thinking to myself recently that this would be a prime location for redevelopment, being so close to the LRT and with no structures of note. Pleased to see it advancing!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 04-30-2016

It would be a fairly slender tower, meaning less efficient use of the floorplate for condos (ie greater % overhead for elevators, stairs and hallways). On the other hand, each unit would have a greater window area, so potentially could be sold as premium units. Location is excellent, as noted above.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - clasher - 04-30-2016

That sounds like an exciting possibility. I think something like the first rendering for 53 David would look awesome there.

On another note, I remember seeing a For Sale (and possibly a Sold?) sign on the South West corner of Weber Victoria. Anyone know any details, or which specific building was sold there? This intersection is ripe for some redevlopment, post grade separation.