Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 05-02-2016

(05-02-2016, 01:09 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(05-02-2016, 12:26 PM)panamaniac Wrote: So, spring is here and the former Mayfair site is sitting empty and unlandscaped, surrounded by chain link fence and with several City food kiosks stored on the pile of rocks.  Nice to see the City and the private sector cooperating to create that Downtown vibe....  Sad

I noticed that too.  I am in awe that the city hasn't followed through with the owners to finish the site off. It is one thing that they agreed to rush the demolish in through, but to not ensure they area looks good. And seriously, a storage area for wooden sale huts !!!

I am going to call the mayors office and make a complaint.

They should at a minimum make a nice patio on the corner with some greens.  Great area to sit and take everything in.

Tell the mayor you're calling on behalf of 500 WRC members (if nobody objects)!  Actually, the fact that the City is, for reasons unknown, using the lot for storage makes me think they are in no hurry to see the site made presentable.

Of course, if Mr. Nimer is planning to have shovels in the ground this summer for a "New Mayfair Building", I'd cut him a bit of slack.  Wink

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Rainrider22 - 05-02-2016

(05-02-2016, 01:18 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-02-2016, 01:09 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I noticed that too.  I am in awe that the city hasn't followed through with the owners to finish the site off. It is one thing that they agreed to rush the demolish in through, but to not ensure they area looks good. And seriously, a storage area for wooden sale huts !!!

I am going to call the mayors office and make a complaint.

They should at a minimum make a nice patio on the corner with some greens.  Great area to sit and take everything in.

Tell the mayor you're calling on behalf of 500 WRC members (if nobody objects)!  Actually, the fact that the City is, for reasons unknown, using the lot for storage makes me think they are in no hurry to see the site made presentable.

Of course, if Mr. Nimer is planning to have shovels in the ground this summer for a "New Mayfair Building", I'd cut him a bit of slack.  Wink

Yes, agreed, if they are quickly moving forward than fine !

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 05-03-2016

Has anyone heard anything recently in regards to the Trinity United Church redevelopment. Has it even been listed for sale?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 05-03-2016

I've heard nothing new about Trinity (nor about Zion over on Weber, which was sold last summer and, AFAIK, is sitting empty).  There is a recent (April 10th) Board note on the Trinity United website that suggests that they are still looking for an appropriate site for a temporary church.  I think the plan is to agree with a developer to have a new sanctuary and church spaces incorporated into the redevelopment.

This is the relevant bit:

Transition Planning

1) While the Board continues to look for space that fits a healthy list of criteria, we have engaged several of you to take the lead in beginning to plan and sort and pack those elements that are MOST crucial for us to worship and carry out our mission in our temporary digs….

2) The Elements of worship, music, hospitality, children’s time, the office, the library and our community partners are all being considered.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Pheidippides - 05-03-2016

(05-01-2016, 08:52 PM)Lens Wrote:
(04-26-2016, 11:57 PM)Lens Wrote: Not sure if it was mentioned specifically but Manulife is putting some massive windows in on the third floor, Water st side of the building.

According to a sign on Joseph st. this is just the first of three phases of renovation. Next work will be done to the section north of Charles and then finally the King St. section wrapping up sometime in 2017

Are these components related to the Manulife renovations or LRT?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - timio - 05-03-2016

Yes. You can see Manulife written on the wrapping on the Water St side.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MacBerry - 05-03-2016

(05-03-2016, 05:39 PM)Pheidippides Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 08:52 PM)Lens Wrote: According to a sign on Joseph st. this is just the first of three phases of renovation. Next work will be done to the section north of Charles and then finally the King St. section wrapping up sometime in 2017

Are these components related to the Manulife renovations or LRT?

I'm thinking (always a dangerous time) that these are some of the prefab parts for the "sky ramp" from the Manulife building leading to the "unknown" [Charles and Gaukel] development, Insider promised us way back when.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - megabytephreak - 05-03-2016

It looks like HVAC equipment to me. You can see what looks like a fan inside the leftmost "package". Also the door on the rightmost one looks like it is designed to seal pretty well. I saw equipment of similar design and scale up close back when they were building Engineering 5 at UW and it was labeled as HVAC.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 05-04-2016

The ManuLife Plaza project is much larger than I had realized. I wonder what is in store for the King St façade?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 05-04-2016

How soon will we see development on the pictured parking lot?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 05-04-2016

(05-04-2016, 01:40 PM)KevinL Wrote: How soon will we see development on the pictured parking lot?

Only "insider" knows.  And he's not telling.  Smile

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 05-05-2016

Some Downtown "randoms".

- the former Brauns building at 270 King E has had plastic sheeting separating the space from the front windows for the past year. The plastic is now down and the stripped out/renovated space is quite nice. I don't think this work has been taken with any specific tenant in mind, so we'll see how long it sits empty.

- the Downtown BIA has moved its offices from 29 King St E to the recently renovated storefront at 54 Queen S (beside Black Arrow Bicycles).

- renovations are continuing for the San Francisco Panini spot opening at 146 King W. I think I mentioned it previously, but it looks like the renovated space, which has incredibly high ceilings, will retain the original pressed tin ceiling and coving. If so, fabulous!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 05-05-2016

An additional "random", before it moves to the Food, Dining and Entertainment thread. The former "Hive" at the corner of King St E and Scott looks like it should be re-opening soon. Furniture has been brought in, although there's no sign up yet. The place has a pretty large patio deck out back, which should be nice this summer. Has anybody heard anything about what kind of operation it is supposed to be? I'm thinking Pub/restaurant, perhaps with live music?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 05-07-2016

According to a report in today's record, the company behind the renovation of "Weber Chambers" on King St W will be converting the smaller tower of Corporation Square (the building above the Apollo Cinema on Ontario St at Duke) into apartment units.  Interesting and a bit strange at the same time, although I suspect rental apartments at that location will be snapped up.  I wonder at what point Downtown will see a demand for new "standard" office space? 
http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6542944-tech-surge-in-kitchener-core-prompts-conversion-of-office-space-to-apartments/

Meanwhile, up the street at Ontario and Weber, I see that the building that most recently (and very briefly) housed an African restaurant has been sold.  It would be nice to see another restaurant or pub open here, to compliment the other improvements on "Funtario".

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 05-07-2016

(05-07-2016, 08:35 AM)panamaniac Wrote: According to a report in today's record, the company behind the renovation of "Weber Chambers" on King St W will be converting the smaller tower of Corporation Square (the building above the Apollo Cinema on Ontario St at Duke) into apartment units.  Interesting and a bit strange at the same time, although I suspect rental apartments at that location will be snapped up.  I wonder at what point Downtown will see a demand for new "standard" office space? 
http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6542944-tech-surge-in-kitchener-core-prompts-conversion-of-office-space-to-apartments/

There is still a fair bit of supply of standard or near-standard office space, with 55 King W (TD/Igloo), 305 King W (old Canada Trust), 385 Frederick (Galleria), 30 Queen N and 50 Duke W among others.  However, it's true that 55 King W is now nearing full occupancy; don't know what the vacancy levels are at the other office buildings.

DREAM still has the ability to build a second tower behind 55 King W, where the surface parking is now, but I suspect they don't have any near-term plans to do that.