Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 05-07-2016

(05-07-2016, 08:35 AM)panamaniac Wrote:  converting the smaller tower of Corporation Square (the building above the Apollo Cinema on Ontario St at Duke) into apartment units. 

Hmm, I wonder if this might lead to the smaller properties/structures at Weber and Ontario being consolidated, and something built to abut this building's very blank back wall...

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 05-07-2016

(04-30-2016, 03:18 PM)GtwoK Wrote: I've heard from a man who purported to be the owner of the Shopper's building downtown / owner of the white building behind that (26 college, I believe?) that that building, and the shoppers parking lot, are slated for demolition. Supposedly, a 17 storey condo is planned for the 2 lots.

The guys credentials seems valid as far as I could tell, he was discussing this with the store manager at Shopper's, who I later asked and was told that the guy owned both properties.

I wonder if that wasn't Bernie Nimer, the owner of a number of downtown properties, including the ill-fated Mayfair Hotel?  His name was mentioned during todays public art Jane's Walk as he is making space available in the King Centre (aka Shoppers Drug Mart) for the upcoming CAFKA.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 05-12-2016

I see that the former Factory Shoe outlet on Victoria N next to the Conestoga Parkway is being demolished. Is this related to the Hwy 7 project like the demolition of the commercial mall on the other side of the expressway?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 05-12-2016

[Image: D9SH8VH.png]
Hmmm...

Unsure if this is just an illustration, or the branding for a new building.

(05-12-2016, 11:42 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I see that the former Factory Shoe outlet on Victoria N next to the Conestoga Parkway is being demolished.  Is this related to the Hwy 7 project like the demolition of the commercial mall on the other side of the expressway?

It is! There will be an underpass there for cars to get from new Hwy 7 Westbound to Hwy 85 Southbound. As well, a connection from Wellington to Edna (where the current ramps off the 85 to Edna are).

They're going to dismantle the Connaught Hotel project in Hamilton and reassemble it in Downtown Kitchener? Now that would be interesting!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 05-12-2016

Oops! Big Grin

Dun goof'd

In my defence, Him & Her has created the branding for quite a few local businesses, and Carve creative has done the branding for many of the new local condo projects ( One / One Hundred Victoria, Midtown Lofts, 155 Caroline, etc). It wasn't a far shot to assume they might have been working on something new!

I thought for a moment that might be insider's project for Charles/Gaukel. Wink

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ibuildstuff - 05-12-2016

(04-27-2016, 02:44 PM)tomh009 Wrote: http://www.skylineinvestments.com/
Based in Toronto.

115 Benton is 0.4 ha (0.98 acres), 119 and 121 are 0.1 ha each.  119 and 121 were demolished in 2006, 115 followed in 2007.  Without paying for the land registry data, it's hard to know whether the ownership is the same (though it would make sense if it is).

That's not the right skyline. This is a local guy. 119 and 125 are a different owner. 

He is asking $6 million for 115 Benton.. so don't expect any development any time soon.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 05-13-2016

(05-12-2016, 04:32 PM)ibuildstuff Wrote:
(04-27-2016, 02:44 PM)tomh009 Wrote: http://www.skylineinvestments.com/
Based in Toronto.

115 Benton is 0.4 ha (0.98 acres), 119 and 121 are 0.1 ha each.  119 and 121 were demolished in 2006, 115 followed in 2007.  Without paying for the land registry data, it's hard to know whether the ownership is the same (though it would make sense if it is).

That's not the right skyline. This is a local guy. 119 and 125 are a different owner. 

He is asking $6 million for 115 Benton.. so don't expect any development any time soon.

That is actually quite funny!  Although not, I suppose, if you'd actually like to see something happen on the site.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 05-13-2016

Some office furniture has been moved in to the newly-finished main floor of the Market building at the corner of King E and Eby. Has there been any confirmation of who will be moving in to this office space?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Pheidippides - 05-13-2016

(05-13-2016, 06:14 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Some office furniture has been moved in to the newly-finished main floor of the Market building at the corner of King E and Eby.  Has there been any confirmation of who will be moving in to this office space?

The building permit on the window a while back said Boom Media Group.
http://www.boomdmg.com/

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Square - 05-16-2016

(09-17-2014, 08:52 PM)Spokes Wrote: The lot at the corner of Weber and Scott streets downtown Kitchener is up for sale by CMA Reality

The interesting thing is that not only is the lot being sold, but the adjacent building (EIWO Canadian Building - (82 Weber Street East) is being sold with it.  And they must be sold together.  

This property was "re-zoned and approved to re-develop an 11 storey building with 120 units (condo/apartments) consisting of 10 floors residential and 1 floor commercial with 1 level underground parking and surface parking."

I saw that this listing is not on CMA Realty site anymore.  Also not listed as being sold either.   The sign is different also, but could not get a good read while driving by.
I used to live in this area, and have a feeling this site is going to sit empty for a long time. [Image: sad.gif]

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 05-16-2016

(05-16-2016, 02:41 PM)Square Wrote:
(09-17-2014, 08:52 PM)Spokes Wrote: The lot at the corner of Weber and Scott streets downtown Kitchener is up for sale by CMA Reality

The interesting thing is that not only is the lot being sold, but the adjacent building (EIWO Canadian Building - (82 Weber Street East) is being sold with it.  And they must be sold together.  

This property was "re-zoned and approved to re-develop an 11 storey building with 120 units (condo/apartments) consisting of 10 floors residential and 1 floor commercial with 1 level underground parking and surface parking."

I saw that this listing is not on CMA Realty site anymore.  Also not listed as being sold either.   The sign is different also, but could not get a good read while driving by.
I used to live in this area, and have a feeling this site is going to sit empty for a long time. [Image: sad.gif]

One loses track of how many times this property has changed hands.  Is it the heritage element at the back that makes is a development challenge, or what?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Square - 05-16-2016

I thought it might be because of the row house, but it was torn down. Maybe the house at the corner of Pearl Place and Scott Street is the problem? The city wants them to fix it up, but they are letting it fall apart. They did want to build a 20 story building at one point, maybe they are still mad at the city for not getting it approved?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Smore - 05-16-2016

this article isn't THAT old...

http://renx.ca/urbanfund-continues-southwest-ontario-property-push/