Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 05-20-2016

(05-20-2016, 03:21 AM)Square Wrote:
(05-20-2016, 12:26 AM)jwilliamson Wrote: http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/kitchener-car-dealership-to-become-asian-supermarket-1.3003041

I don't think this has been posted yet.

Try this link :  http://m.therecord.com/news-story/6117803-wright-auto-sales-moving-to-old-stedelbauer-property-in-kitchener

Speaking of this link ... has anyone figured out why the Record's mobile pages won't display in (the desktop version of) Firefox?  Chrome, Edge and IE all seem to work for those.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jwilliamson - 05-20-2016

They also don't work in mobile Firefox.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 05-20-2016

Kitchener City Council is to receive a report on converting the former Legion Hall on Ontario St into an "arts hub", either by leasing it or selling it. The city-owned heritage designated building, built in 1914 to house the Bell Telephone Company, has been empty since 2001 and the idea of using it for cultural purposes has been floating around for years. One hopes money can be found to support such an initiative. It would provide another nice boost to Ontario St.

http://www.570news.com/2016/05/20/city-of-kitchener-presenting-a-report-to-council-to-convert-canadian-legion-branch-50/

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tvot - 05-20-2016

(05-20-2016, 01:33 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: They also don't work in mobile Firefox.

The Metroland Media standard web site used by Record/Post/Chronicle/etc. is horrible. Doesn't work consistently and full of content unrelated to the publication you think you are going to.

I did a twitter rant about a month ago, focused on Metroland & the Chronicle that I'm sure not many people saw, but it was cathartic. I don't use Firefox much, so I didn't know to add that to my list of complaints Smile

As long as we're complaining about the Record, has anyone else noticed that their e-content has become so infested with rubbish from Hamilton that it's become even less useful as a source of local information. Sad

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Pheidippides - 05-20-2016

(05-20-2016, 08:20 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-20-2016, 12:29 AM)mpd618 Wrote: Note the date - it was posted last year to much enthusiasm, but I think this plan fell through.

Yes, this former car dealership is now to become.... a car dealership.   Sometime in 2017, iirc.

2017? The article is dated november 2015, so the "next year" refers to 2016. Plus, The Wright Motors on Bridgeport and Weber is having a closing sale with "everything must go by month's end" signs. I think they are opening on Ottawa in June 2016, not 2017.

(05-20-2016, 03:50 PM)Pheidippides Wrote:
(05-20-2016, 08:20 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Yes, this former car dealership is now to become.... a car dealership.   Sometime in 2017, iirc.

2017? The article is dated november 2015, so the "next year" refers to 2016. Plus, The Wright Motors on Bridgeport and Weber is having a closing sale with "everything must go by month's end" signs. I think they are opening on Ottawa in June 2016, not 2017.

So, this summer then.  I don't know where I got the idea that it wouldn't be until next year.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 05-22-2016

(05-20-2016, 03:50 PM)Pheidippides Wrote:
(05-20-2016, 08:20 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Yes, this former car dealership is now to become.... a car dealership.   Sometime in 2017, iirc.

And in fact, there is a new electronic sign up that indicates that they will open on June 1st.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 05-26-2016

Just noticed this week that the house/former convenience store at the corner of Joseph and Water Sts has been sold, after being on the market for a number of years. I wonder whether it might be redeveloped - the lot is not deep but it is fairly wide and could probably take a walk-up or 6-8 stacked townhouses, although they'd look straight out into the Manulife parking garage.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 05-26-2016

Would be a great spot for a convenience store

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 05-26-2016

(05-26-2016, 07:09 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Would be a great spot for a convenience store

I guess the old store could be re-opened.  It is pretty small, iirc, but it worked for many years so why not.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 05-26-2016

Really the convenience store is a disappearing business model. Between gas station stores, drug stores and coffee shops, there is less and less opportunity for the old-style convenience stores. They have not been able to keep up with the changes in consumer preferences, so at least in Ontario I think they are an endangered species.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 05-26-2016

What about a small green grocer? It probably requires a similar footprint, and it seems like the type of neighbourhood where, if the owners did it right, they could get a lot of support.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 05-26-2016

(05-26-2016, 10:09 PM)MidTowner Wrote: What about a small green grocer? It probably requires a similar footprint, and it seems like the type of neighbourhood where, if the owners did it right, they could get a lot of support.

Along the lines of Legacy Greens?  Although LG is probably a micro-greengrocer. Smile

A small deli could also work.  The closest competition is at Nougat on Queen, or Vincenzo's well up on Park.

Whatever it is, I suspect the current convenience store add-on building will not be part of it.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 05-27-2016

(05-26-2016, 10:00 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Really the convenience store is a disappearing business model.  Between gas station stores, drug stores and coffee shops, there is less and less opportunity for the old-style convenience stores.  They have not been able to keep up with the changes in consumer preferences, so at least in Ontario I think they are an endangered species.

I think this moreso than others.  Shoppers Drug Mart is a very different store now than it was 10 years ago.