Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - nms - 05-27-2016

That building at Joseph and Water is in the Victoria Park Heritage District so the new owner will be quite limited in what they can do.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 05-27-2016

(05-27-2016, 01:20 PM)nms Wrote: That building at Joseph and Water is in the Victoria Park Heritage District so the new owner will be quite limited in what they can do.

The variety store addition surely can be demolished -- I can't see that the LACAC would object to that.  Demolishing the main building would be much more challenging to get approved, unless the replacement were something too good to be refused.  More likely, I foresee either (1) a new addition, that is larger and yet fits into the building's and neighbourhood's character (so as to get LACAC approval), or (2) keeping the main building only, in essentially unaltered form.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 05-27-2016

OK, took another look at it: the building really is nothing special, unless we're talking about especially bad.  It has been substantially (and not very well) altered from the original, and the addition fits in about as well as, uhh, won't say that in polite company. Smile

Removing the alterations, the vinyl siding and the addition, and building a single properly designed addition would be the way to go.  I suspect you could get LACAC approval for it, too.

Facing Joseph:

Looking from Victoria Park direction:

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 05-28-2016

If it remains zoned commercial, the house could be mainly restored to its original condition and then used for professional offices - lawyers, engineers, architects, etc.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 05-28-2016

(05-28-2016, 08:48 AM)KevinL Wrote: If it remains zoned commercial, the house could be mainly restored to its original condition and then used for professional offices - lawyers, engineers, architects, etc.

Right.  Although not the most interesting of the Victoria Park area houses, it would work.  The house to the left is probably similar to what's underneath the alterations and additions.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Lens - 05-29-2016

Interesting to see a for lease sign in GOGO mart's former space with Perimeter group branding. I'm assuming they own this building too which might be good news development wise

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 05-29-2016

Is that the building next to 305 King with the Shwarma place in it?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - taylortbb - 05-29-2016

Yes, it is. Given Perimeter also owns the building behind 305 on Water St I wonder how big their plans are for that block.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 05-29-2016

I've heard in the past that it is one of the two or three most likely sites in the Downtown for the much awaited supermarket. Although that might have been wrt the neighbouring municipal parking lot.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 05-30-2016

(05-29-2016, 01:45 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Yes, it is. Given Perimeter also owns the building behind 305 on Water St I wonder how big their plans are for that block.

I'd forgotten then owned that one too.  I'd imagine as soon as the City of Kitchener puts that parking lot up for sale that they'll snatch it up.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-01-2016

Some work happening today on the King St portion of the the Manulife Plaza:

[Image: 16bfyo9.jpg]

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 06-01-2016

Windows everywhere! That's good (even if those particular ones might get covered up some day when the lot is built on).

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Lens - 06-02-2016

The Rogers Kitchener radio group is moving from 305 King W to the Boardwalk which I assume means Perimeter will be renovating their space much like the rest of the tower. http://www.570news.com/2016/06/02/its-moving-day-for-the-rogers-kitchener-radio-group/

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-02-2016

Gee, I wonder if that means the broadcast antenna will come down and that a tower could actually be built on the Manulife Plaza podium without setting off a war like it did the last time it was proposed?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 06-02-2016

(06-02-2016, 09:31 AM)Lens Wrote: The Rogers Kitchener radio group is moving from 305 King W to the Boardwalk which I assume means Perimeter will be renovating their space much like the rest of the tower. http://www.570news.com/2016/06/02/its-moving-day-for-the-rogers-kitchener-radio-group/

???