Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - taylortbb - 06-02-2016

(06-02-2016, 11:53 AM)GtwoK Wrote:
(06-02-2016, 09:31 AM)Lens Wrote: The Rogers Kitchener radio group is moving from 305 King W to the Boardwalk which I assume means Perimeter will be renovating their space much like the rest of the tower. http://www.570news.com/2016/06/02/its-moving-day-for-the-rogers-kitchener-radio-group/

???

Perimeter has been doing significant renovations to 305 since they acquired it, upgrading the spaces to meet the requirements of tech companies. As soon as they started moving in big names like Square it was clear the days were numbered for older tenants like 570 news, which are probably more interested in having cheap rent than being in top tier office space.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 06-02-2016

Schlichter's is closing.  What will be the future of this property, just steps away from ION?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-02-2016

Oh my gosh!  I must say, that is one site I would dearly like to see repurposed or, better, redeveloped.

(06-02-2016, 11:59 AM)taylortbb Wrote:
(06-02-2016, 11:53 AM)GtwoK Wrote: ???

Perimeter has been doing significant renovations to 305 since they acquired it, upgrading the spaces to meet the requirements of tech companies. As soon as they started moving in big names like Square it was clear the days were numbered for older tenants like 570 news, which are probably more interested in having cheap rent than being in top tier office space.

I wonder where exactly in the Boardwalk they will be located?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 06-02-2016

Oh, that Schlichter's site is SO ripe for redevelopment. It has a surprisingly large footprint when you factor in the lower-story retail facing Ontario; it's also in a drab, unremarkable building that has no redeeming value, so the site can be razed.

I really hope we get something here that takes advantage of the site.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - CTGal1011 - 06-02-2016

(06-02-2016, 01:29 PM)KevinL Wrote: Oh, that Schlichter's site is SO ripe for redevelopment. It has a surprisingly large footprint when you factor in the lower-story retail facing Ontario; it's also in a drab, unremarkable building that has no redeeming value, so the site can be razed.

Any sliver of hope that they can take the Gazz Bar across the street with it? Walking by there in the summer is the stuff methane dreams are made of. Although, I do like the coffee next door. Sigh.

(06-02-2016, 01:29 PM)KevinL Wrote: Oh, that Schlichter's site is SO ripe for redevelopment. It has a surprisingly large footprint when you factor in the lower-story retail facing Ontario; it's also in a drab, unremarkable building that has no redeeming value, so the site can be razed.

Ah, it's the same property, I hadn't realized that!  Indeed, that's a piece of prime real estate.  Owned by Schlichters, quite likely, as they have been in that building forever plus a few years.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 06-02-2016

That is quite the lot. The building on the corner of Joseph is about twelve storeys- maybe this one could go even taller with a podium. It would be nice to have that great stretch of storefronts extended a bit southwards on Queen.

I'd be happy with 3-6 stories on the Queen St side. The Ontario St side could take a lot more height, imho.

As long as there is retail at the street on the Queen St side, anything three stories high or taller (retail + office?) would be fine there, with a taller tower on Ontario St and a parking podium tucked in between the two.

(06-02-2016, 02:21 PM)tomh009 Wrote: As long as there is retail at the street on the Queen St side, anything three stories high or taller (retail + office?) would be fine there, with a taller tower on Ontario St and a parking podium tucked in between the two.

Honestly, I'd see Ontario as more promising than Queen for retail in that block, but OK.

Queen has (partly empty) retail between this property and Charles, and across the street. Also retail on the next block, between Charles and King, so adding so good retail here would strengthen the existing retail presence, too.

Ontario St ... it's hard to say how it will turn out. Currently there are a couple of storefronts (apart from this property), but much depends on the future of the bus depot. Ideally both sides would have street-level retail, though.

The Working Centre project at 256 King St E is still advancing slowly. This week, the ugly vinyl siding covering the first floor (only - the second storey has not (yet?) been touched. I hope that whatever exterior cladding they do is up to the terrific job that has been done next door at the former Braun building.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 06-02-2016

I remember a while back someone posted that 132 Queen St was listed for sale at over 1 million dollars. Could be an excellent opportunity for something substantial here.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 06-03-2016

I think it'll cost much more than $1M. 115 Benton is apparently being offered at $6M (though I think that's overpriced) and this property is considerably more valuable, including significant frontage on two key downtown streets.