Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 06-15-2016

The rounded corner appears to be Scotiabank, which is what you'd see first from the terminal. Down along the side, along King, is where we're starting to expect to see the coffee shop.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-15-2016

(06-15-2016, 12:27 PM)jamincan Wrote: I thought there was supposed to be a coffee shop in 1 Victoria, and isn't there going to be a patio? Or maybe I'm confusing it with another building.

Isn't it Settlement Coffee that's opening at 1 Victoria?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 06-15-2016

(06-15-2016, 09:16 AM)panamaniac Wrote: ... every time I pass the corner of King and Benton, I think that the corner office space for lease in the Crown Plaza would make a perfect spot for a credit union.

It was the home of a Montreal Trust location, many moons back.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 06-15-2016

(06-15-2016, 01:02 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Isn't it Settlement Coffee that's opening at 1 Victoria?

Another location of Abe Erb, I thought.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 06-15-2016

(06-15-2016, 01:27 PM)MidTowner Wrote:
(06-15-2016, 01:02 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Isn't it Settlement Coffee that's opening at 1 Victoria?

Another location of Abe Erb, I thought.

That was for the tannery. Settlement is indeed planned for One Vic.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 06-15-2016

Thanks for the correction.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Andy - 06-15-2016

(06-15-2016, 11:53 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(06-15-2016, 11:13 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: The most iconic corner in the region, and we have a non-public-access school, a dead-to-pedestrians condo, and now a rare-use-even-for-only-its-customers bank. Heaven hope that something can make this a place for, you know, actual people. More and more it's looking like Union, where a facility totally focused on people is not all that useful to them in the immediate exterior area.

Busy, developing, and improving, but "iconic"?  I can't think of anything iconic about it, although that could change depending on what eventually anchors that corner of the transit hub.  I suppose the School of Pharmancy could be considered "symbolic" in terms of the Downtown renaissance.

Yeah, I think King/Queen would have a much stronger case of being the most iconic corner. Several other intersections for that matter.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Viewfromthe42 - 06-15-2016

It can definitely be more iconic, sure, but with the transit terminal, and as a funnel between downtown and midtown, King and Victoria *should* be iconic, engaging, and inviting. Currently, it is not.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-15-2016

(06-15-2016, 03:02 PM)Andy Wrote:
(06-15-2016, 11:53 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Busy, developing, and improving, but "iconic"?  I can't think of anything iconic about it, although that could change depending on what eventually anchors that corner of the transit hub.  I suppose the School of Pharmancy could be considered "symbolic" in terms of the Downtown renaissance.

Yeah, I think King/Queen would have a much stronger case of being the most iconic corner. Several other intersections for that matter.

I suppose one could make a case for City Hall as Downtown's iconic building, along with the old Clocktower in Victoria Park, but overall, I think the Walper Hotel might have the best claim, in part for it's location, but in particular for its history and its place in the history of the city.   Not so much for its looks, however.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MacBerry - 06-15-2016

(06-14-2016, 09:51 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(06-14-2016, 07:21 PM)GtwoK Wrote: I wonder what will happen to the old Scotia location!

I sincerely hope the structure goes mainly unmodified, and that those glorious high ceilings get put to good use.

My best hope ...

TheMuseum will buy this property as a an additional start to eventually owing all the King Street frontage ... or perhaps ScotiaBank will donate TheMuseum the site and building ... great tax deduction on a building probably carried on their books at $300K since the 1970s.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MacBerry - 06-15-2016

(06-15-2016, 03:02 PM)Andy Wrote:
(06-15-2016, 11:53 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Busy, developing, and improving, but "iconic"?  I can't think of anything iconic about it, although that could change depending on what eventually anchors that corner of the transit hub.  I suppose the School of Pharmancy could be considered "symbolic" in terms of the Downtown renaissance.

The only thing not allowing the King/Queen coners iconic is that ugly, ugly Bank of Montreal building.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-16-2016

(06-15-2016, 10:44 PM)MacBerry Wrote:
(06-14-2016, 09:51 PM)KevinL Wrote: I sincerely hope the structure goes mainly unmodified, and that those glorious high ceilings get put to good use.

My best hope ...

TheMuseum will buy this property as a an additional start to eventually owing all the King Street frontage ... or perhaps ScotiaBank will donate TheMuseum the site and building ... great tax deduction on a building probably carried on their books at $300K since the 1970s.

At one time, the Museum had thoughts of expanding into what is now Vidyard's 8 Queen N.  The issue, of course was money.  The Museum is fund-raising at the moment for a new children's "maker space" in the basement of the building.  It will open this fall.  I don't know about the BNS building, but it would be interesting to think about whether the Conrad Centre could be incorporated into themuseum, if the KWS were to move its rehearsal space back to CITS.  The constant issue for themuseum, however, is funding.  They do amazing things with the resources they have, but they are under constant financial pressure.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - DHLawrence - 06-16-2016

I wouldn't be sorry if they bought the BMO corner too.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-16-2016

I asked at the BNS today and was told that the new Victoria St branch will be small and that the main branch will remain where it is.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - clasher - 06-17-2016

(06-16-2016, 11:06 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I asked at the BNS today and was told that the new Victoria St branch will be small and that the main branch will remain where it is.

Weird, I wouldn't have thought there was increasing walk-in business that a bank would open a second branch so close. TD had two for a long time but that was the result of buying Canada Trust.