Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 06-17-2016

Apologies if this was reported before, but Accelerator Centre is set to take occupancy within the next month or so of the second floor of 44 Gaukel (former Everest College space) for maker space.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - BuildingScout - 06-17-2016

(06-16-2016, 11:06 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I asked at the BNS today and was told that the new Victoria St branch will be small and that the main branch will remain where it is.

But they would tell their employees that, unless the closure was imminent, wouldn't they?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-18-2016

The Record has an interesting piece on the renovations taking place at the old (1896) Boehmer Box factory on Breithaupt St. Work has been going on for some time now, but the overall plan is much more ambitious than I realized. It will be interesting to watch this unfold over time.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6728961-historic-boehmer-box-building-gets-makeover/

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 06-18-2016

Thanks for posting, great to see that another former industrial building in the core is being revitalized. It's a bit surprising that they are planning to remove the loading docks, as this is often essential for businesses.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 06-18-2016

I don't think they are intending to attract the kind of business that needs a full-size loading dock. This is the Innovation District, their tenants will be in the knowledge economy, not the sort to manage large shipments.

I'd love to see a render of the planned lobby where the loading docks are.  I always figured that part of the complex would eventually come down for something higher density.  I think I'll miss the "estate sale" warehouse at the back of that end of the complex.  If you've never been, it's worth a curiosity visit - huge piles of crap (with potential treasure buried in unexpected corners).  There's even a room full of books back in the back.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 06-18-2016

This isn't news, or an update of any sort. I just saw this garden greenhouse area today at Queen / Charles. Any one know if it's a community thing, or belongs to a single unit? I would absolutely kill to live here. It's beautiful!

[Image: ZjOTfbF.jpg]
[Image: QDxFenZ.jpg]

Herb garden for Queen St Commons perhaps?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jamincan - 06-19-2016

Wow! That is so cool!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - darts - 06-19-2016

(06-17-2016, 11:54 AM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(06-16-2016, 11:06 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I asked at the BNS today and was told that the new Victoria St branch will be small and that the main branch will remain where it is.

But they would tell their employees that, unless the closure was imminent, wouldn't they?

pretty much and in 2-3 years close it down and point people down the street.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 06-19-2016

(06-19-2016, 10:24 AM)darts Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 11:54 AM)BuildingScout Wrote: But they would tell their employees that, unless the closure was imminent, wouldn't they?

pretty much and in 2-3 years close it down and point people down the street.

I looked in the 1 Victoria space yesterday, and I really don't think there is enough space to replace the current branch.  The TD space at King & Francis is much, much bigger. 

While there are not many retail counters these days, they need office space for loans, investments etc.  But maybe moving part of the retail operation into 1 Victoria will allow ScotiaMcLeod to move into the current Scotiabank branch.  Just speculation, of course.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - DHLawrence - 06-19-2016

Maybe larger bank branches aren't as in demand as they used to be. Not everything can be moved online but there's still plenty that doesn't have to be done on-site anymore.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MacBerry - 06-19-2016

(06-18-2016, 09:16 PM)GtwoK Wrote: This isn't news, or an update of any sort. I just saw this garden greenhouse area today at Queen / Charles. Any one know if it's a community thing, or belongs to a single unit? I would absolutely kill to live here. It's beautiful!

[Image: ZjOTfbF.jpg]
[Image: QDxFenZ.jpg]

Medicinal marijuana  Tongue

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Lens - 06-20-2016

Looks like DTK is finally getting a decent sized grocery store. Any guess at where? Wink

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - greybird - 06-20-2016

Eatons?