Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Smore - 11-16-2014

That sounds familiar!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - clasher - 11-16-2014

(11-16-2014, 05:23 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The Public Utilities Building would be a great location, but I keep hearing that it's slated to become a restaurant. I wonder how many sq ft a brew pub would require?

I've had that same idea for years! I assumed I would have to use all the floors and adapt the basement and rear of the building somehow... the roof would be an amazing summer patio. I've given up drinking and I don't think the restaurant business is really for me anymore either... a few years working as a cook fixed that.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-22-2014

The little deco building on King St E that used to house the Little Pinto Shop is getting a bit of love. The cast stone pillars are being repaired and the odd little shed/entrance/display window on the east side has come down. It's interesting to see this modest building being returned to its original condition.

Also, Elison's Bistro at 14 Charles St W (which I'm told is excellent) is getting a new façade.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - TMKM94 - 11-23-2014

The Bargain Shop (Tbs!) is closing in Downtown Kitchener,

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - TMKM94 - 11-23-2014

Does anyone know why most of the retail space in the eatons lofts building is still vacant? I believe if It's been vacant for at least 6 years.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 11-23-2014

(11-23-2014, 02:42 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: Does anyone know why most of the retail space in the eatons lofts building is still vacant? I believe if It's been vacant for at least 6 years.

I think it had to do with the legal issues of the building as a whole.  Anyone know where those are at?  Are there people even living upstairs?

(11-23-2014, 01:59 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: The Bargain Shop (Tbs!) is closing in Downtown Kitchener,

No loss there to be honest.  Something else will open, or even better, it will get developed.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 11-23-2014

I thought The Bargain Shop might renovate, so I'm a bit surprised. Might be a good location for a Giant Tiger.

The Eaton Loft is such a dud. If you look at the balconies, it is apparent that they have never been finished. From time to time you'll see a For Sale sign on units - they seem to sell, which surprises me.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - BuildingScout - 11-23-2014

How about a Metro store instead of Ziggy's? With the Kaufman lofts, One Victoria, City Centre and 100 Victoria I think there is enough foot traffic for a downtown grocery store.

Ziggy's started out as a grocery store, if I recall correctly. I thought, however, that the block between Francis and Water was being looked at for that purpose.

Re The Bargain Store - I'd hate to see the site redeveloped as it's a nice deco building that should be preserved, imo.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - BuildingScout - 11-23-2014

(11-23-2014, 11:35 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Re The Bargain Store - I'd hate to see the site redeveloped as it's a nice deco building that should be preserved, imo.

It's a deco building. The nice part is missing. It is also two story right downtown and has very little architectural detail. Take a picture and build on top of it. Of course a good architect could preserve the rather mediocre facade as part of the podium if they wanted to but I see no reason why.

(11-23-2014, 11:06 AM)BuildingScout Wrote: How about a Metro store instead of Ziggy's? With the Kaufman lofts, One Victoria, City Centre and 100 Victoria I think there is enough foot traffic for a downtown grocery store.

There's definitely the demand for an urban format grocery store.  I don't think Ziggy's is the right location unless you're planning on taking over the entire building.  Ziggy's looks a lot bigger from the outside of the store than it actually is on the inside.

(11-23-2014, 12:17 PM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(11-23-2014, 11:35 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Re The Bargain Store - I'd hate to see the site redeveloped as it's a nice deco building that should be preserved, imo.

It's a deco building. The nice part is missing. It is also two story right downtown and has very little architectural detail. Take a picture and build on top of it. Of course a good architect could preserve the rather mediocre facade as part of the podium if they wanted to but I see no reason why.

This.

We have this attachment in Waterloo Region to mediocre architecture.  I see zero reason for this building to be preserved.  

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Markster - 11-23-2014

(11-23-2014, 10:29 AM)Spokes Wrote: No loss there to be honest.  Something else will open, or even better, it will get developed.
There is most definitely a loss there. The Bargain Shop, while it might be down-market, is still downtown's only thing resembling a department store. Without at replacement in the pipeline, it is a loss.

Also, I personally love the deco facade. I don't understand why it's seen as an "attachment in Waterloo Region to mediocre architecture" when it's an attachment to one of the few unique pieces of architecture we have. There are plenty of utilitarian cinderblock buildings to knock down still. Leave the few hints we have of architectural history alone.