Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Downtowns (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-21-2016

I wonder it that puts paid to the idea of an urban supermarket in the American Hotel Block? Maybe we could get a decent LCBO instead! (actually, I sent an e-mail a few weeks back complaining about the pathetic LCBO in the plaza past the train tracks. LCBO responded the same day, but unfortunately it was to tell me that their current five year plan did not contemplate a new store Downtown.)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MacBerry - 06-21-2016

(06-21-2016, 01:04 PM)timio Wrote: More details:  http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile/video?clipId=896174&binId=1.1147261&playlistPageNum=1

and the winner is --> two hipsters (the guy has a great beard) who live downtown and my colour TV showed them as allegedly "white"

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - REnerd - 06-21-2016

Why is the color of their skin even remotely relevant to the conversation?  A bit silly imho.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - plam - 06-22-2016

(06-21-2016, 10:06 PM)REnerd Wrote: Why is the color of their skin even remotely relevant to the conversation?  A bit silly imho.

Affects which market they are likely targeting. Ethnic grocery stores like T&T or New City are not in the same market as hipster grocery stores.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 06-22-2016

(06-21-2016, 06:49 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Every grocery store owner has never run a grocery at some point in their life Smile

Actually, I think (this is anecdotal) that it is one of those businesses where a lot of people grew up in it and took it over from their parents, or bought their own store. But it's a small sample any more: there are few large grocers run independently any more.

From everything I hear, it's a complicated, low-margin business. But having a café and a focus on value-added and ready-to-eat food might change the dynamics a bit.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 06-22-2016

(06-21-2016, 01:36 PM)GtwoK Wrote: 2 floors, 5000 sq ft, a cafe, and run by locals who were upset at the lack of a spot to walk for groceries downtown? Who could ask for more? This is great!

Wow, this is perfect.  Doing it for the right reason, that's what I like to see.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 06-22-2016

(06-21-2016, 07:10 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I wonder it that puts paid to the idea of an urban supermarket in the American Hotel Block?  Maybe we could get a decent LCBO instead!  (actually, I sent an e-mail a few weeks back complaining about the pathetic LCBO in the plaza past the train tracks.  LCBO responded the same day, but unfortunately it was to tell me that their current five year plan did not contemplate a new store Downtown.)

That's baffling to me.  Just can't wrap my head around it.  Waiting would be a mistake for them IMO.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 06-22-2016

Having a monopoly on the sale of your good means not having to act rationally.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - CTGal1011 - 06-22-2016

(06-22-2016, 03:05 AM)plam Wrote:
(06-21-2016, 10:06 PM)REnerd Wrote: Why is the color of their skin even remotely relevant to the conversation?  A bit silly imho.

Affects which market they are likely targeting. Ethnic grocery stores like T&T or New City are not in the same market as hipster grocery stores.

My kids go to school with the owners kids of J and P Filipino. Dad is white Newfoundlander and Mom is Filipino.
Good people.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-22-2016

(06-22-2016, 08:43 AM)CTGal1011 Wrote:
(06-22-2016, 03:05 AM)plam Wrote: Affects which market they are likely targeting. Ethnic grocery stores like T&T or New City are not in the same market as hipster grocery stores.

My kids go to school with the owners kids of J and P Filipino. Dad is white Newfoundlander and Mom is Filipino.
Good people.

I always wondered how they came to sell Filipino and Newfoundland food.  Mystery solved!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-22-2016

Some Downtown random:

- Both Rhapsody and Berlin have installed terrasses out front.

- the exterior storefront of the Dollarama is being updated.  It will probably look cleaner, but I'm afraid that the cool black and blue ceramic panels from the '50s are being covered over.

- Blue and green glass window panels are being installed over the holes on the Water St side of Manulife Plaza.  They seem attractive, but a bit random in terms of how they blend with the rest of the structure.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Owen - 06-22-2016

Don't forget the CRoZBy drop-in sessions tonight at city hall from 4pm to 8pm!

Kitchener City Hall
Conestoga Room, Ground Floor
200 King Street West
Wednesday June 22, 4-8 p.m.

http://www.kitchener.ca/en/insidecityhall/CRoZBy-Component-B---First-Draft.asp

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-24-2016

The site of the Noir townhouses on Courtland Ave has been levelled - this is the place that has had several rounds of work on the sand pit/foundation, which has been filled in with the latest work. I have no idea what they are/are not doing, but it's a strange way to approach an infill project.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 06-25-2016

(06-22-2016, 01:01 PM)panamaniac Wrote: - Blue and green glass window panels are being installed over the holes on the Water St side of Manulife Plaza.  They seem attractive, but a bit random in terms of how they blend with the rest of the structure.

Hmmm.  Let's wait and see, it's not clear to me yet what the final building will look like, they are doing a lot more than I initially expected.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 06-25-2016

(06-24-2016, 05:01 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The site of the Noir townhouses on Courtland Ave has been levelled - this is the place that has had several rounds of work on the sand pit/foundation, which has been filled in with the latest work.  I have no idea what they are/are not doing, but it's a strange way to approach an infill project.

Maybe they are turning it into a sand hill, to extend the adjoining Sand Hills park? Big Grin