Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - CTGal1011 - 06-22-2016

(06-22-2016, 04:05 AM)plam Wrote:
(06-21-2016, 11:06 PM)REnerd Wrote: Why is the color of their skin even remotely relevant to the conversation?  A bit silly imho.

Affects which market they are likely targeting. Ethnic grocery stores like T&T or New City are not in the same market as hipster grocery stores.

My kids go to school with the owners kids of J and P Filipino. Dad is white Newfoundlander and Mom is Filipino.
Good people.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-22-2016

(06-22-2016, 09:43 AM)CTGal1011 Wrote:
(06-22-2016, 04:05 AM)plam Wrote: Affects which market they are likely targeting. Ethnic grocery stores like T&T or New City are not in the same market as hipster grocery stores.

My kids go to school with the owners kids of J and P Filipino. Dad is white Newfoundlander and Mom is Filipino.
Good people.

I always wondered how they came to sell Filipino and Newfoundland food.  Mystery solved!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-22-2016

Some Downtown random:

- Both Rhapsody and Berlin have installed terrasses out front.

- the exterior storefront of the Dollarama is being updated.  It will probably look cleaner, but I'm afraid that the cool black and blue ceramic panels from the '50s are being covered over.

- Blue and green glass window panels are being installed over the holes on the Water St side of Manulife Plaza.  They seem attractive, but a bit random in terms of how they blend with the rest of the structure.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Owen - 06-22-2016

Don't forget the CRoZBy drop-in sessions tonight at city hall from 4pm to 8pm!

Kitchener City Hall
Conestoga Room, Ground Floor
200 King Street West
Wednesday June 22, 4-8 p.m.

http://www.kitchener.ca/en/insidecityhall/CRoZBy-Component-B---First-Draft.asp

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-24-2016

The site of the Noir townhouses on Courtland Ave has been levelled - this is the place that has had several rounds of work on the sand pit/foundation, which has been filled in with the latest work. I have no idea what they are/are not doing, but it's a strange way to approach an infill project.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 06-25-2016

(06-22-2016, 02:01 PM)panamaniac Wrote: - Blue and green glass window panels are being installed over the holes on the Water St side of Manulife Plaza.  They seem attractive, but a bit random in terms of how they blend with the rest of the structure.

Hmmm.  Let's wait and see, it's not clear to me yet what the final building will look like, they are doing a lot more than I initially expected.

(06-24-2016, 06:01 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The site of the Noir townhouses on Courtland Ave has been levelled - this is the place that has had several rounds of work on the sand pit/foundation, which has been filled in with the latest work.  I have no idea what they are/are not doing, but it's a strange way to approach an infill project.

Maybe they are turning it into a sand hill, to extend the adjoining Sand Hills park? Big Grin

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-25-2016

(06-25-2016, 02:05 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-24-2016, 06:01 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The site of the Noir townhouses on Courtland Ave has been levelled - this is the place that has had several rounds of work on the sand pit/foundation, which has been filled in with the latest work.  I have no idea what they are/are not doing, but it's a strange way to approach an infill project.

Maybe they are turning it into a sand hill, to extend the adjoining Sand Hills park? Big Grin

No, the sand hill is now gone.  I can only assume that they used the hill they built to refill the hole that they dug.  It is very weird.

The permit for the 27-unit apartment building expired last year. The developer has a building permit for a 13-unit stacked townhouse complex (significantly less dense), and appears to be in the process of completing the permits for the actual construction. Maybe stacked townhouses don't need an excavated basement -- or a significantly different excavation? In any case, it's the same architect as for the stacked townhouses on Lancaster.

In any case, it'll be good to see this developed, even if it's now only 13 units.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - CTGal1011 - 06-26-2016

(06-25-2016, 07:22 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The permit for the 27-unit apartment building expired last year. The developer has a building permit for a 13-unit stacked townhouse complex (significantly less dense), and appears to be in the process of completing the permits for the actual construction.  Maybe stacked townhouses don't need an excavated basement -- or a significantly different excavation?  In any case, it's the same architect as for the stacked townhouses on Lancaster.

In any case, it'll be good to see this developed, even if it's now only 13 units.

At this point, I wouldn't even mind if it is like the old 3 story walk-ups that were razed on Becker. There were 4 units on each floor. Wasn't a huge monstrosity and cute little balconies. Lots of frontscape and parking beside. Most of all...affordable. Not showy, but decent.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 06-26-2016

Spotted at 107 Benton:

[Image: 5pnNR15.jpg]

Not sure what you'd do with a lease on vacant land, but whatevs.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 06-26-2016

(06-22-2016, 02:01 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Some Downtown random:

- the exterior storefront of the Dollarama is being updated.  It will probably look cleaner, but I'm afraid that the cool black and blue ceramic panels from the '50s are being covered over.

Not covered, replaced - with a decent, if plain, slate tile.

[Image: BTeS04F.jpg]

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 06-27-2016

(06-26-2016, 10:06 PM)KevinL Wrote: Spotted at 107 Benton:

Not sure what you'd do with a lease on vacant land, but whatevs.

You could put a building on it.  A long-term lease (50 or 100 years) would be long enough for the expected lifetime of a building (probably rental rather than condominium); if and when you get to the end of the lease term, you can either negotiate a renewal or walk away from the land (and the building).

This is not uncommon for commercial properties, where the tenant may construct a building to their own specs on the landlord's land.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 06-28-2016

Two Goblets has officially closed their Weber location as of today - their street facing sign is down, and the parking lot signs are also down. Strangely enough, one of the "two goblets parking only" sign was replaced with a "these three spots are convenience store parking" sign. What convenience store?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Square - 06-28-2016

Used to be a convenience store at the college corner.   Old sign for that store?  Google view of the old store  :   https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4538969,-80.4921099,3a,75y,196.34h,92.86t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sYmGT65Ixg0wPItzFD0yB-Q!2e0!5s20090401T000000!7i13312!8i6656