Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-28-2016

(06-28-2016, 05:55 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Two Goblets has officially closed their Weber location as of today - their street facing sign is down, and the parking lot signs are also down. Strangely enough, one of the "two goblets parking only" sign was replaced with a "these three spots are convenience store parking" sign. What convenience store?

There's a convenience store across Water St.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 06-29-2016

The LCBO in Midtown is reducing its hours (yes, it's possible for them to be open even less) starting in a week or so. I asked one of the employees about it, and she said that sales have slowed so much that they've lost one full-time employee. She says that the lease is up at the end of the year and, although they're not sure what will happen, their real estate people are searching to see if there is a suitable location somewhere nearby. She was careful to say that this next part was a bit of speculation, but she said the belief is that the lease won't be extended, and that there's hope to coordinate something with the developer so a trailer can be set up until a space is ready in the new development.

I didn't want to bump the King's Crossing thread with this, in case someone got excited about the possibility of some news. The only thing really concrete is that the LCBO there will become even less useful soon.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 06-29-2016

A trailer? Seriously? For how many years? Realistically, King's Crossing is probably three or more years away from opening.

Unless it's a trailer until some other less-distant (in time) space becomes available. How about Eaton's Lofts or Budds?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - clasher - 06-29-2016

They should move into the funeral home!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 06-29-2016

(06-29-2016, 04:09 PM)clasher Wrote: They should move into the funeral home!

Hey, if they can put one in a train station...

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-29-2016

It would be a good time to contact LCBO, as I did a couple of weeks ago, to complain about the inadequate mid-town store and to ask for a proper Downtown location. Imho, anything east of the current sorry excuse anywhere between the railway tracks and Cedar St could only be an improvement.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-29-2016

(06-26-2016, 10:08 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(06-22-2016, 02:01 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Some Downtown random:

- the exterior storefront of the Dollarama is being updated.  It will probably look cleaner, but I'm afraid that the cool black and blue ceramic panels from the '50s are being covered over.

Not covered, replaced - with a decent, if plain, slate tile.

[Image: BTeS04F.jpg]

I see that the pillars have received the same treatment.  I must admit that it looks quite OK. 

Across King St, I see that some pallets of bricks have been delivered to the project on the east side of the American Hotel Block.  To my surprise, they are brown, similar to the brick on Market Square.  I was hoping for brick, but I assumed that it would be buff, like the rest of the building.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 06-30-2016

(06-29-2016, 04:00 PM)tomh009 Wrote: A trailer? Seriously? For how many years? Realistically, King's Crossing is probably three or more years away from opening.

The employee was speculating that the site may be developed in stages, and that a trailer might be able to be accommodated somewhere on the site until their space was ready. I wasn't exactly interrogating her; I asked if this is common for them, and she said they will put a temporary store in a trailer for a store renovation. A renovation is a different thing than a complete build...

When the downtown LCBO store in Hamilton was being renovated (actually, moved to a bigger new space within Jackson Square), LCBO set up a fairly sorry store in one of their depots near downtown with pretty limited hours. I can't recall how long that might have been for, but for a while downtown Hamilton was only served by that pretty out-of-the-way temporary store. LCBO is capable of anything.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Skita - 07-05-2016

(03-20-2015, 03:10 PM)panamaniac Wrote: You've have made comparable comments in the past abut other buildings, iirc.  The fact that a building is not monumental, unusually old, or "beautiful" is not especially relevant to the question of whether it has heritage value in the context of Kitchener's urban core.  We've lost a lot more than we've saved, so I hardly think the City is over-doing things on the heritage front.

By the way, this building, the Bullas Glass building and the old Rockway Restaurant (now AM Africa?) are the only three places in town with old Vitrolite cladding still in town.  Are there others?  Maybe these three are just more noticeable because of the yellow and/or green colourway.

any idea where one might source out manufacturers/installer of replacement "Vitrolite" cladding?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 07-06-2016

(07-05-2016, 11:47 PM)Skita Wrote:
(03-20-2015, 03:10 PM)panamaniac Wrote: You've have made comparable comments in the past abut other buildings, iirc.  The fact that a building is not monumental, unusually old, or "beautiful" is not especially relevant to the question of whether it has heritage value in the context of Kitchener's urban core.  We've lost a lot more than we've saved, so I hardly think the City is over-doing things on the heritage front.

By the way, this building, the Bullas Glass building and the old Rockway Restaurant (now AM Africa?) are the only three places in town with old Vitrolite cladding still in town.  Are there others?  Maybe these three are just more noticeable because of the yellow and/or green colourway.

any idea where one might source out manufacturers/installer of replacement "Vitrolite" cladding?

I don't, but I would have thought that any local dealer in tiling could hook you up.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 07-06-2016

(07-05-2016, 11:47 PM)Skita Wrote:

It hasn't been manufactured for some 70 years; any additional material that you need will need to be reclaimed from other buildings.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 07-08-2016

The building at the corner of Weber and Ontario Sts, most recently (and very briefly) an African restaurant, has been sold and clean-up/renovation work seems to have started in recent days.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Lens - 07-09-2016

Some/all of the Record's space appears to be available for subleasing http://www.cushwakewr.com/property/160-king-street-east-kitchener

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 07-10-2016

Work seems to be underway (again - for real this time?) on the stacked townhouse project on Courtland Ave across from Courtland Sr Public School.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - kitchener-dk - 07-12-2016

Is there information online about the Courtland townhouse development?