Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 07-14-2016

Good news for Downtown and a K-W kind of story - the 103 year old Waterloo Club is moving to the former Webco building at Victoria and Duke Sts.    In Kitchener. Wink

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6768526-historic-waterloo-club-moving-to-kitchener/

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - nms - 07-15-2016

It will be interesting to see how the Waterloo Club evolves. With a $250 initiation fee, plus $500 year feel (regular) plus minimum $600 purchase per year, it sets a certain bar for entry.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 07-15-2016

(07-15-2016, 12:54 PM)nms Wrote: It will be interesting to see how the Waterloo Club evolves.  With a $250 initiation fee, plus $500 year feel (regular) plus minimum $600 purchase per year, it sets a certain bar for entry.

The Record article says annual membership is $1,600, which I thought was reasonable.  $500, if accurate would be a serious bargain, it seems to me.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 07-15-2016

Their web site says $500 a year. That doesn't seem particularly expensive. It's half of that if you live outside of the Region, or are 25 or younger.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 07-15-2016

I wonder if membership includes any reciprocity privileges with other clubs? Any members here at WRC?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - zanate - 07-15-2016

I'm curious about the new digs. I have a friend who is a member and have enjoyed the Club's hospitality a few times, there are some interesting people there.

Doubt I'd join any time soon, though-- already pay for curling club membership!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 07-16-2016

A friend who has access to 8 Queen took me on a walkthrough last night. The door to the upcoming grocers was open a crack, I took a quick peek inside!

[Image: NiCmCOE.jpg]

[Image: L7BhQLR.jpg]

I don't know if this is the entire space or what (I didn't walk in, just looked through the door a bit). Reminds me of the old Vincenzo's space on Belmont!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 07-16-2016

(07-15-2016, 01:20 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I wonder if membership includes any reciprocity privileges with other clubs?  Any members here at WRC?

I think we should propose reciprocity with WRC! Big Grin

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 07-17-2016

Is this something that's popular? I didn't even know it existed, let alone was something people would pay for.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Pheidippides - 07-19-2016

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 07-19-2016

I wonder if the work will extend down to the second floor once the third is completed? It's a much bigger project than I had realized.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Pheidippides - 07-22-2016

Some progress on 28 King St E:

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 07-22-2016

For the record, that's the fibreglass insulation board which has been painted over to look better, until the siding can go on.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 07-22-2016

I'm assuming that it will be acrylic stucco?  The façade is in a brown brick, similar to that of Market Square.  They have reproduced the arched front windows, but, strangely, have put in rectangular windows like those in the neighbouring sections of the building rather than reproducing the complete windows.  The windows on the side went in today - I was surprised to see windows here as I assumed that there would someday be an abutting structure.  I wonder if the owner has incorporated the space formerly occupied by the building that burned down and was demolished?  It would make a good spot for a Terrasse if there's to be a restaurant or bar on the main floor.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 07-22-2016

Has anyone heard anything further on that potential 17 story condo/apartment on College St behind the Shoppers Drug Mart?