Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Downtowns (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 06-30-2016

(06-29-2016, 03:00 PM)tomh009 Wrote: A trailer? Seriously? For how many years? Realistically, King's Crossing is probably three or more years away from opening.

The employee was speculating that the site may be developed in stages, and that a trailer might be able to be accommodated somewhere on the site until their space was ready. I wasn't exactly interrogating her; I asked if this is common for them, and she said they will put a temporary store in a trailer for a store renovation. A renovation is a different thing than a complete build...

When the downtown LCBO store in Hamilton was being renovated (actually, moved to a bigger new space within Jackson Square), LCBO set up a fairly sorry store in one of their depots near downtown with pretty limited hours. I can't recall how long that might have been for, but for a while downtown Hamilton was only served by that pretty out-of-the-way temporary store. LCBO is capable of anything.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Skita - 07-05-2016

(03-20-2015, 02:10 PM)panamaniac Wrote: You've have made comparable comments in the past abut other buildings, iirc.  The fact that a building is not monumental, unusually old, or "beautiful" is not especially relevant to the question of whether it has heritage value in the context of Kitchener's urban core.  We've lost a lot more than we've saved, so I hardly think the City is over-doing things on the heritage front.

By the way, this building, the Bullas Glass building and the old Rockway Restaurant (now AM Africa?) are the only three places in town with old Vitrolite cladding still in town.  Are there others?  Maybe these three are just more noticeable because of the yellow and/or green colourway.

any idea where one might source out manufacturers/installer of replacement "Vitrolite" cladding?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 07-06-2016

(07-05-2016, 10:47 PM)Skita Wrote:
(03-20-2015, 02:10 PM)panamaniac Wrote: You've have made comparable comments in the past abut other buildings, iirc.  The fact that a building is not monumental, unusually old, or "beautiful" is not especially relevant to the question of whether it has heritage value in the context of Kitchener's urban core.  We've lost a lot more than we've saved, so I hardly think the City is over-doing things on the heritage front.

By the way, this building, the Bullas Glass building and the old Rockway Restaurant (now AM Africa?) are the only three places in town with old Vitrolite cladding still in town.  Are there others?  Maybe these three are just more noticeable because of the yellow and/or green colourway.

any idea where one might source out manufacturers/installer of replacement "Vitrolite" cladding?

I don't, but I would have thought that any local dealer in tiling could hook you up.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 07-06-2016

(07-05-2016, 10:47 PM)Skita Wrote:

It hasn't been manufactured for some 70 years; any additional material that you need will need to be reclaimed from other buildings.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 07-08-2016

The building at the corner of Weber and Ontario Sts, most recently (and very briefly) an African restaurant, has been sold and clean-up/renovation work seems to have started in recent days.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Lens - 07-09-2016

Some/all of the Record's space appears to be available for subleasing http://www.cushwakewr.com/property/160-king-street-east-kitchener

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 07-10-2016

Work seems to be underway (again - for real this time?) on the stacked townhouse project on Courtland Ave across from Courtland Sr Public School.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - kitchener-dk - 07-12-2016

Is there information online about the Courtland townhouse development?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 07-14-2016

Good news for Downtown and a K-W kind of story - the 103 year old Waterloo Club is moving to the former Webco building at Victoria and Duke Sts.    In Kitchener. Wink

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6768526-historic-waterloo-club-moving-to-kitchener/

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - nms - 07-15-2016

It will be interesting to see how the Waterloo Club evolves. With a $250 initiation fee, plus $500 year feel (regular) plus minimum $600 purchase per year, it sets a certain bar for entry.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 07-15-2016

(07-15-2016, 11:54 AM)nms Wrote: It will be interesting to see how the Waterloo Club evolves.  With a $250 initiation fee, plus $500 year feel (regular) plus minimum $600 purchase per year, it sets a certain bar for entry.

The Record article says annual membership is $1,600, which I thought was reasonable.  $500, if accurate would be a serious bargain, it seems to me.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 07-15-2016

Their web site says $500 a year. That doesn't seem particularly expensive. It's half of that if you live outside of the Region, or are 25 or younger.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 07-15-2016

I wonder if membership includes any reciprocity privileges with other clubs? Any members here at WRC?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - zanate - 07-15-2016

I'm curious about the new digs. I have a friend who is a member and have enjoyed the Club's hospitality a few times, there are some interesting people there.

Doubt I'd join any time soon, though-- already pay for curling club membership!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 07-16-2016

A friend who has access to 8 Queen took me on a walkthrough last night. The door to the upcoming grocers was open a crack, I took a quick peek inside!

[Image: NiCmCOE.jpg]

[Image: L7BhQLR.jpg]

I don't know if this is the entire space or what (I didn't walk in, just looked through the door a bit). Reminds me of the old Vincenzo's space on Belmont!