Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Lens - 09-10-2016

Terrible move IMO. They had a great little spot before with some real charm and what I would consider a hidden gem of KW. Sure it wasn't perfect but this new spot is a definite downgrade.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - CTGal1011 - 09-10-2016

(09-10-2016, 12:30 AM)Lens Wrote: Terrible move IMO. They had a great little spot before with some real charm and what I would consider a hidden gem of KW. Sure it wasn't perfect but this new spot is a definite downgrade.

For charm sake, yes it is a bad move, but moving next to Medix with some hungry PSW's, and right next to Iron Horse trail (again), makes it just as easy a destination for us sugar hoarding fiends. Also easier for traffic, that lot is horrid.
For me, it is 2 minutes from the kids' bus stop. DANGEROUS.

Stampede isn't really open during the day, so that won't affect the patron culture (thinking drunk patrons forgetting Nougat isn't a pizza joint), and it means I am WAY more willing to support them than my local Timmy's, as it is way walk friendly for me.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - CTGal1011 - 09-10-2016

Not sure where to stick this:

King St. Condo Officially a Bust (151-161 King)
http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6849703-failed-king-street-condo-proposal-goes-bust/

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 09-10-2016

The Nougat website has a render/mock up of what their new location will look like.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 09-11-2016

(09-10-2016, 09:23 AM)CTGal1011 Wrote: Not sure where to stick this:

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6849703-failed-king-street-condo-proposal-goes-bust/

I think "a bust" and "goes bust" are slightly things.

The article is somewhat confusing though, given that apparently the property is advertised under power of sale right now (with apparently false advertising), and also NLK is looking for new financing, do they intend to buy it back?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 09-11-2016

(09-10-2016, 08:53 AM)CTGal1011 Wrote:
(09-10-2016, 12:30 AM)Lens Wrote: Terrible move IMO. They had a great little spot before with some real charm and what I would consider a hidden gem of KW. Sure it wasn't perfect but this new spot is a definite downgrade.

For charm sake, yes it is a bad move, but moving next to Medix with some hungry PSW's, and right next to Iron Horse trail (again), makes it just as easy a destination for us sugar hoarding fiends. Also easier for traffic, that lot is horrid.
For me, it is 2 minutes from the kids' bus stop. DANGEROUS.

Stampede isn't really open during the day, so that won't affect the patron culture (thinking drunk patrons forgetting Nougat isn't a pizza joint), and it means I am WAY more willing to support them than my local Timmy's, as it is way walk friendly for me.

I agree.  Less eclectic but it should be a net gain for the business.  For a business owner being a "hidden gem" isn't necessarily the best thing, it's better to have more visibility.  And the new location is still about as walkable as the old one.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jeffster - 09-12-2016

(09-10-2016, 09:23 AM)CTGal1011 Wrote: Not sure where to stick this:

Probably not in the Kitchener Updates and Rumours... Tongue It's all good though...

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - nms - 09-12-2016

Is the mill property protected? I'm pretty certain that Shawky Fahel go some support and kudos for his initial revitalization of the Nougat property.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 09-12-2016

(09-12-2016, 01:30 PM)nms Wrote: Is the mill property protected?  I'm pretty certain that Shawky Fahel go some support and kudos for his initial revitalization of the Nougat property.

It is not.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Pheidippides - 09-15-2016

There was some sample drilling in the vacant lot/property at the north east corner of Highland and Spadina recently. Large and small holes all across the lot, mostly on the perimeter though.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 09-15-2016

I used to live right near that corner and it seemed like some kind of sampling would be done a couple times a year.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - neonjoe - 09-16-2016

Probably due to the fact that it's a former Texaco station

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 09-18-2016

(09-16-2016, 06:43 AM)neonjoe Wrote: Probably due to the fact that it's a former Texaco station

Gas station soil remediation can be a very lengthy and costly process.  Let's hope this location is not as bad.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 09-18-2016

(09-18-2016, 12:06 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-16-2016, 06:43 AM)neonjoe Wrote: Probably due to the fact that it's a former Texaco station

Gas station soil remediation can be a very lengthy and costly process.  Let's hope this location is not as bad.

The fact that the lot has been sitting empty for about 30 years doesn't seem like a good sign ......

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Smore - 09-18-2016

I saw a presentation a few years ago by a representative of the fuel industry. Long story short, they collectively have a lot of old contaminated properties on their roster, are working through them, have minimum testing requirements on some and clean up old some to a usable state on a priority basis. The sites are prioritized by a number of factors, but I got the impression that if you had a certain one you thought should be cleaned up (and then redeveloped!), you would need to "help" the fuel company involved increase the priority level of that property....