Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Downtowns (http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 03-31-2016

(03-04-2016, 04:26 PM)panamaniac Wrote: They are working flat out to get the former Entertaining Elements (aka former Somers) building ready to open before the end of the month.  Some rather questionable looking (imo) barn board is being applied to the façade today.  The canopy/signs are up - the buiding has been divided into two spaces.  The restaurant/lounge Harmony will be on the east side and the west side will by GypsyLee, a clothing shop.

Rhapsody!  Big Grin  Both Rhapsody and Gypsy Lee were open as of this afternoon, so there were able to meet their own deadline.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Lens - 03-31-2016

The architect also has a render for the lot on King adjacent to the Market. Didn't Drewlo just buy it?

http://www.fryettarchitect.com/portfolio-view/387-king-street/

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 04-01-2016

(03-31-2016, 10:41 PM)Lens Wrote: The architect also has a render for the lot on King adjacent to the Market. Didn't Drewlo just buy it?

http://www.fryettarchitect.com/portfolio-view/387-king-street/

Note that there are two completely different renders, and the second one is the correct one (the first one is for University Ave).

[Image: 01-387-King-grey-siding-reduced-size.jpg]

It looks good, and would be great news for the long-fallow property.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 04-01-2016

While any development on that property is good development, that building is quite ugly looking, in my own opinion. I do like the idea of a grocery store there though.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 04-01-2016

it was rumoured that Drewlo purchased the next block over from Fusion Homes. I don't know if anything has come out officially, I also don't know if Drewlo bought this land as well.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 04-01-2016

Some bricks fell off the top of the facade the other day, which notably damaged the brand-new black awning on the Rhapsody side. :/

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - Lens - 04-01-2016

(04-01-2016, 11:24 AM)rangersfan Wrote: it was rumoured that Drewlo purchased the next block over from Fusion Homes. I don't know if anything has come out officially, I also don't know if Drewlo bought this land as well.

Thanks for clarifying, I keep mixing those blocks up. Both are well overdue for some development hopefully with a decent quality grocer. I would agree that the building isn't a looker, hopefully it's not the final product.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - GtwoK - 04-01-2016

On the bright side, that looks like it would only take up the space of the King / Madison corner, and not the entire block. So there's still some hope for a nicer-looking building that will get actual Ion frontage.

RE: General Suburban Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 04-01-2016

(04-01-2016, 12:27 PM)Lens Wrote:
(04-01-2016, 11:24 AM)rangersfan Wrote: it was rumoured that Drewlo purchased the next block over from Fusion Homes. I don't know if anything has come out officially, I also don't know if Drewlo bought this land as well.

Thanks for clarifying, I keep mixing those blocks up. Both are well overdue for some development hopefully with a decent quality grocer. I would agree that the building isn't a looker, hopefully it's not the final product.

It's not a looker, but not every building will ever be a looker.  It's far better than some of the Northdale designs, and in this location the bar is pretty low, at least from my point of view, and the render on the previous page would be a massive improvement over the current state.

P.S. This discussion probably should be in the "urban updates" thread ...

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 04-02-2016

(03-29-2016, 01:29 PM)MidTowner Wrote: From the Record: City, diocese still in talks over fate of Sacred Heart convent

To be honest, from all of the fanfare surrounding Google taking occupancy of its new offices a five minute walk down Moore, I felt sure that the next we would hear of this was that the diocese planned on trying to sever this building and selling it to someone to renovate for office space. With hundreds of workers at Breithaupt Block and the supposedly high demand for character office space by tech start-ups, it seems odd that the debate would still be between affordable housing, and parking spots.

I wonder if the diocese has some internal opposition to selling off assets, even non-functioning ones. The twenty parking spaces are not the issue: that would not go very far towards meeting the church's parking demands, which are fully met now by the rather large lot behind the school next door.

I wouldn't see office space at that location.  Some sort of conversion to affordable housing would seem a better use to me.