Waterloo Region Connected
General Arts and Culture News - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Arts and Culture (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: General Arts and Culture News (/showthread.php?tid=9)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

General Arts and Culture News - Spokes - 08-25-2014

General Arts and Culture News

Movie Night Under the Stars - Shawn - 08-26-2014

Want to kick off the Labour Day long weekend with a Movie Night?

This Friday August 29th at Sports World Crossing is a free movie night!

Sportsworld Crossing partners with the Grand River Film Festival (GRFF) for Movie Night on Friday August 29th at Dusk.. This Big Only Works If Everyone Pitches In Bring your lawn chair and get ready for a fun evening.

The Grand Seduction Starring Gordon Pinsent and Taylor Kitch - Welcome to Tickle Head, Population 120 Terrible Liars. It's going to take a big lie to save a little town A Lie

[youtube]http://youtu.be/z61XwqxI8hM[/youtube]

For further details check out their website.

Sports World Crossing

Re: General Arts and Culture News - Spokes - 08-26-2014

If you haven't seen this movie, I strongly recommend it! It's very funny!

RE: General Arts and Culture News - Spokes - 08-26-2014

Art meets music in Hespeler
August 24, 2014 | Paige Desmond | The Record | Link
Quote:HESPELER — It may very well take a day and a night to complete a massive public art project at the A Day and A Night Art Meets Music Festival in Hespeler.

Hundreds of metres of fabric were being woven on a giant, custom-built loom through the Saturday event to later be displayed somewhere in the community.

The project is the brainchild of artist Sue Sturdy.

"Hespeler was once the Silicon Valley of textiles," she said.

She said there even used to be a Hespeler textile festival.

The art project celebrates that rich history in Cambridge and contributes to the all-day festival's theme this year of fibre art.

Volunteers from Community Living Cambridge were busy stacking, smoothing and preparing eight-foot-long sheets of fabric to be hand-inserted into the loom.

Local community groups have been crafting small squares to be sewn together and incorporated into the artwork. The finished product was expected to measure about 20 feet long and eight feet wide.

Joe Sousa, a Community Living volunteer, doesn't have much weaving experience, but was happy to get involved.

"We've made about 300 of the small squares," he said.

The organization has been getting clients and others involved leading up to the festival to help with the fabric squares.

But where exactly does one find a loom big enough to sew a 20-foot textile?

That's where Dave Oleson came in.

He built the loom, which was atop a flatbed truck, after telling Sturdy he may be able to help.

"I kind of opened my big mouth," Oleson said.

Oleson and other volunteers helped community members use the loom so they could be part of the creation.

"We're going to let people get involved with a huge piece of public art," Sturdy said.

Along with the public art project various buskers, artists and actors entertained at the festival.

Despite some grey skies on and off throughout the day the weather appeared to be holding out for the fourth annual event which was to wrap up around 8 p.m.

The weather was also good news for the LINK Picnic Festival in Kitchener that wraps up at 3 p.m. Sunday with the annual children's carnival parade.

The 26th annual Sun Life Financial Waterloo Busker Carnival continues until Sunday as well with performances set to finish at 4 p.m.

Show and Shine Classic Car Mondays - Shawn - 08-26-2014

Aug 25/14 6:00 PM - Sept 22/14 6:00 PM

Show and Shine Classic Car Mondays, brought to by The Shops at Highland and Westmount will host the cruise night every Monday from 6 pm until dusk. Join us in the PartSource parking lot where you'll enjoy great vintage cars, 50' and 60's music and free admission to the car show! Fill out a ballot to win a great family prize each month. Don't forget to vote for your favourite car!

Re: General Arts and Culture News - panamaniac - 08-27-2014

Spokes Wrote:If you haven't seen this movie, I strongly recommend it! It's very funny!

I saw it last week and enjoyed it. It was better, I thought, than the Quebec original and much funnier.

Re: General Arts and Culture News - Spokes - 08-28-2014

panamaniac Wrote:
Spokes Wrote:If you haven't seen this movie, I strongly recommend it! It's very funny!

I saw it last week and enjoyed it. It was better, I thought, than the Quebec original and much funnier.

I'm glad it wasn't just me that found it funny. My dad's from a small outport community in Newfoundland much like this one, so I wasn't sure if I just really liked some of the parallels.

I never saw the original. What's it called?

Re: General Arts and Culture News - panamaniac - 08-28-2014

<<La grande séduction>> (Seducing Dr. Lewis in English) (2003). I believe there was a re-make of the same title filmed in France as well.

Re: General Arts and Culture News - panamaniac - 09-16-2014

This Friday. Note the admission price!

[Image: 15x8spz.jpg]

And a sample of this local group's music.

http://www.rescuejunctionband.com/about

Re: General Arts and Culture News - panamaniac - 09-18-2014

5th KOI Music Festival is on this weekend. It seems to be growing. I'm the wrong demographic for this one, but I wonder whether this event attracts much interest from the university students in Waterloo? I sometimes think many of them spend their years at school without ever visiting Downtown, unless to pass through on the bus on the way out of town.

http://www.therecord.com/whatson-story/ ... -the-core/

Re: General Arts and Culture News - panamaniac - 09-26-2014

A new home in Hespeler for the Fashion History Museum.

http://www.therecord.com/whatson-story/ ... gets-some/

Re: General Arts and Culture News - DHLawrence - 09-27-2014

Good. That building always looks depressing just standing there underused.

RE: General Arts and Culture News - Brenden - 10-02-2014

The Amish Project is playing at Hagey Hall in the University of Waterloo. It is a one women play about the Amish school shooting from 2006. I saw it this week and it was quite good. CBC did a interview with the artistic producer of Green Light Arts, who is putting it on, I guess they are new to town as well.
Honestly it is a great play, you should really check it out.

RE: General Arts and Culture News - panamaniac - 10-02-2014

Exciting news - the e-Record is reporting that the former Hyland Cinema on Ontario St at Duke (most recently Chrysalids) will re-open as a cinema. This is great news for Downtown!

RE: General Arts and Culture News - Spokes - 10-02-2014

(10-02-2014, 10:46 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Exciting news - the e-Record is reporting that the former Hyland Cinema on Ontario St at Duke (most recently Chrysalids) will re-open as a cinema.  This is great news for Downtown!

Look who's posts are showing up!  Great to hear from you.

And especially with such great news.  This was one of the major things I had on my list of downtown needs.