Waterloo Region Connected
General Arts and Culture News - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Arts and Culture (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: General Arts and Culture News (/showthread.php?tid=9)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

RE: General Arts and Culture News - Coke6pk - 05-29-2018

(05-29-2018, 11:31 AM)tomh009 Wrote: When did the Art District Gallery open at 185 King St E? I don't recall seeing it there before.

I don't think they even know....

Coke

RE: General Arts and Culture News - jgsz - 06-02-2018

Saturday June 2
2018 tri-Pride Live Music Festival
12:00pm-8:00pm Victoria Park Commons, Kitchener

RE: General Arts and Culture News - jgsz - 06-03-2018

Today:

Sunday June 3
tri-Pride March
11:00am-12:00pm Kitchener City Hall

tri-Pride Picnic
12:00pm-2:00pm Roos Island, Victoria Park, Kitchener.

Yesterday's Music Festival was well attended.

RE: General Arts and Culture News - Canard - 06-10-2018

The Ever After music festival was this weekend.

RE: General Arts and Culture News - panamaniac - 06-10-2018

(06-10-2018, 02:38 PM)Canard Wrote: The Ever After music festival was this weekend.

How have the noise complaints been?

Wasn't there also a world music festival of some sort Downtown this weekend?

RE: General Arts and Culture News - timio - 06-10-2018

(06-10-2018, 02:38 PM)Canard Wrote: The Ever After music festival was this weekend.

Didn't know that until I tried to come home via Bingeman's Centre drive last night only to find a road closed / no through traffic sign and a plethora of taxis parked along the side of the road AFTER turning onto the street from Victoria. Pulled a U-turn and drove the slow way home.

Main thoroughfares that are also publicized detours should not be closed for events like this.

I also wondered what the fallout this year would be (from Ever After) after the organizers’ rather defiant responses to the restrictions imposed by the Region.

Was there some other country music festival or something going on downtown (in Kitchener)?! I couldn’t figure out where it was coming from but heard battling EDM and Country last night and wanted to stab myself in the head with a blunt object.

RE: General Arts and Culture News - danbrotherston - 06-10-2018

(06-10-2018, 05:46 PM)Canard Wrote: I also wondered what the fallout this year would be (from Ever After) after the organizers’ rather defiant responses to the restrictions imposed by the Region.

Was there some other country music festival or something going on downtown (in Kitchener)?! I couldn’t figure out where it was coming from but heard battling EDM and Country last night and wanted to stab myself in the head with a blunt object.

Last night was Summer Lights Festival ( http://www.summerlightsfestival.com/), which was really shockingly big.  I haven't read through all the details--I just walked through, but there were so many people, such a huge event for so late, I was impressed.  As for music, there were at least 5 different live music parts, including karaoke, a cappella singers, a salsa/mabo band, a ukulele choir.  Really interesting event.

My husband said the Summer Lights Festival ran until at least 1am (I was asleep, as usual!, by 9:30). Why was it OK for them to do that but then the city said to the Ever After festival that they had to shut things down at 9pm?

RE: General Arts and Culture News - embe - 06-10-2018

Maybe some logistics around the Ever After festival (road closures etc.) ? Tonight I'm pretty sure the Ever After festival is shutting things down earlier due to noise complaints from previous years. 9pm seems a bit earlier than I would have expected though

No, local media reported that the 9pm thing was for noise complaints. So it’s just odd to me that they’d let their own event go until 1am unchecked. Seems really double-standard-y.

RE: General Arts and Culture News - danbrotherston - 06-10-2018

(06-10-2018, 09:29 PM)Canard Wrote: No, local media reported that the 9pm thing was for noise complaints. So it’s just odd to me that they’d let their own event go until 1am unchecked. Seems really double-standard-y.

Yeah agreed, this double standard bugs me....and this is as a Downtown resident who is in favour of festivals that go to 1 AM.  Yeah, I had to sleep with my windows closed last night...I can live with that once in a while.

Other's may disagree, but it's strange that downtown where thousands of people live (there are condos actually facing one of the live music venues) had one standard while an empty field separated from any residences by two large industrial areas has a stricter standard.

RE: General Arts and Culture News - jeffster - 06-11-2018

(06-10-2018, 09:52 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(06-10-2018, 09:29 PM)Canard Wrote: No, local media reported that the 9pm thing was for noise complaints. So it’s just odd to me that they’d let their own event go until 1am unchecked. Seems really double-standard-y.

Yeah agreed, this double standard bugs me....and this is as a Downtown resident who is in favour of festivals that go to 1 AM.  Yeah, I had to sleep with my windows closed last night...I can live with that once in a while.

Other's may disagree, but it's strange that downtown where thousands of people live (there are condos actually facing one of the live music venues) had one standard while an empty field separated from any residences by two large industrial areas has a stricter standard.

Could be lots of reasons for the double standards:

1) One is on city property (City Hall) other is private property. This shouldn't matter, but apparently it does.
2) One has music that perhaps the city staff and counsel prefer, rather than the EDM at Bingemans. This shouldn't matter, but apparently it does.
3) One of the shows showcases what the city wants outsiders to see (DTK), while the other is in an industrial area that really doesn't show a lot.
4) One is in a area with an expectation of noise (DTK), the other isn't (except for airplanes). I don't see the big deal though.
5) One has still quite a minimal amount of affluent people (DTK by close city hall), the other is has a lot of "money". This will change in 2-3 years, as DTK will have a lot more condo's with people with cash.

What I don't understand, the city has by-laws preventing noise past 11PM, regardless of them being anal about the Everafterfest, which had to shut down at 9 on Sunday. Having parties go to 1AM(!!!) in the morning in DTK, regardless if it's from a Friday night or Saturday night, because not everyone is privileged with a 9-5 Monday-Friday job, is just wrong. I'm 100% sure that some had to be up at 6 or 7 in the morning for work, or to cart kids off to soccer/baseball practice, or just road trips to go see relatives on the other side of Toronto.

Again, we might be seeing the end to late night parties in DTK anyway, as some of the developments get off the ground and finished.

RE: General Arts and Culture News - panamaniac - 06-11-2018

(06-11-2018, 07:29 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(06-10-2018, 09:52 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Yeah agreed, this double standard bugs me....and this is as a Downtown resident who is in favour of festivals that go to 1 AM.  Yeah, I had to sleep with my windows closed last night...I can live with that once in a while.

Could be lots of reasons for the double standards:

1) One is on city property (City Hall) other is private property. This shouldn't matter, but apparently it does.
2) One has music that perhaps the city staff and counsel prefer, rather than the EDM at Bingemans. This shouldn't matter, but apparently it does.
3) One of the shows showcases what the city wants outsiders to see (DTK), while the other is in an industrial area that really doesn't show a lot.
4) One is in a area with an expectation of noise (DTK), the other isn't (except for airplanes). I don't see the big deal though.
5) One has still quite a minimal amount of affluent people (DTK by close city hall), the other is has a lot of "money".  This will change in 2-3 years, as DTK will have a lot more condo's with people with cash.

What I don't understand, the city has by-laws preventing noise past 11PM, regardless of them being anal about the Everafterfest, which had to shut down at 9 on Sunday.  Having parties go to 1AM(!!!) in the morning in DTK, regardless if it's from a Friday night or Saturday night, because not everyone is privileged with a 9-5 Monday-Friday job, is just wrong. I'm 100% sure that some had to be up at 6 or 7 in the morning for work, or to cart kids off to soccer/baseball practice, or just road trips to go see relatives on the other side of Toronto.

Again, we might be seeing the end to late night parties in DTK anyway, as some of the developments get off the ground and finished.

You forgot a key one, perhaps linked to your #4.

One has generated a lot of noise complaints to the City, the other, seemingly, has not.

RE: General Arts and Culture News - Coke6pk - 06-11-2018

I live in the area, and didn't hear much from the venue....

I was volunteering at the event on Friday, so it was still loud, but the stage location and the new sound equipment did something right, as I always used to hear Bingemans at my home at night.

As for the road closure, there was a road closed sign, but no actual road closure. Both curb lanes were reserved for Drop Off/Pick Up, Taxies, Rideshare, Buses, etc. The other two lanes were still open to thru traffic (albeit slow moving traffic)

Coke