Waterloo Region Connected
General Arts and Culture News - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Arts and Culture (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: General Arts and Culture News (/showthread.php?tid=9)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

RE: General Arts and Culture News - panamaniac - 07-13-2015

The Rib and Craft Beer Festival is this coming weekend, as is the Waterloo Jazz Festival.

RE: General Arts and Culture News - Spokes - 07-14-2015

(07-13-2015, 09:49 AM)panamaniac Wrote: The Rib and Craft Beer Festival is this coming weekend, as is the Waterloo Jazz Festival.

Favorite weekend of the year

RE: General Arts and Culture News - panamaniac - 07-14-2015

Would it be useful to create a "Waterloo Region Theatre" thread, or would it make more sense to put information on upcoming productions in this General Arts and Culture thread?

RE: General Arts and Culture News - Markster - 07-14-2015

Do it!

RE: General Arts and Culture News - schooner77 - 07-14-2015

I second that, best weekend of the year.

RE: General Arts and Culture News - rangersfan - 07-25-2015

Great food at the Serbian Food Festival today.

RE: General Arts and Culture News - panamaniac - 07-30-2015

The Mill Race Folk Music Festival takes place in Downtown Cambridge (Galt) from Friday, July 31st to Sunday, August 2nd.

http://www.millracefolksociety.com/Festival.html

RE: General Arts and Culture News - Markster - 10-21-2015

(06-30-2015, 10:29 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Victoria Park's loss is WLU's gain - the 22 statues of Canadian Prime Ministers will be installed at Laurier.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/wilfrid-laurier-to-house-22-life-size-statues-of-canadian-pms-1.3132952

Whelp, looks like the Prime Minister Statue project is on the rocks again.

WLU senate wants university to cancel controversial statue project
Quote: A controversial, privately-funded statue project was opposed at a Laurier senate meeting on Tuesday where an overwhelming majority voted to recommend cancelling it.

[...]
His "Stop the Statue Project" online petition has gathered 810 signatures since it was created in July, a few weeks after the first bronze statue of Sir John A. Macdonald was installed on campus.

The decision to host the statues was made by the board in June.

The statues have been heavily criticized for their lack of diversity.

Finn said a "pointed reading" of the statues could imply that the university celebrates white, male leaders and not inclusivity.

Too partisan for Victoria Park, too white and male for Laurier...

RE: General Arts and Culture News - panamaniac - 10-21-2015

I didn't think WLU was the right place for the PM statues, but the reaction to this gift of art is very unfortunate. I think it makes us look very provincial.

RE: General Arts and Culture News - ookpik - 10-21-2015

(10-21-2015, 01:24 PM)panamaniac Wrote: the reaction to this gift of art is very unfortunate.  I think it makes us look very provincial.

Why? 

Just because someone makes an offer doesn't mean that we should accept it. The offerors have been turned down at least twice now. Evidently there's substantial opposition to the proposal.

P.S. This is similar to the Victims of Communism memorial in Ottawa. Again, lots of well-reasoned opposition. Hopefully this abomination from our previous PM will be on our new PM's hit-list.

(10-21-2015, 01:41 PM)ookpik Wrote:
(10-21-2015, 01:24 PM)panamaniac Wrote: the reaction to this gift of art is very unfortunate.  I think it makes us look very provincial.

Why? 

Just because someone makes an offer doesn't mean that we should accept it. The offerors have been turned down at least twice now. Evidently there's substantial opposition to the proposal.

P.S. This is similar to the Victims of Communism memorial in Ottawa. Again, lots of well-reasoned opposition. Hopefully this abomination from our previous PM will be on our new PM's hit-list.

I don't doubt that the PM-elect will have the communism memorial moved to a less contentious location.  I'm not sure if it would be politically astute to simply cancel the project, although I would shed no tears if he did.

A number of stakes have gone into the ground outside the old Waterloo County Courthouse (Queen St side at Weber). I'm guessing that this is in preparation for the winning artwork, a piece by Ernest Daetwyler, who has other pieces installed in the Region.

RE: General Arts and Culture News - Markster - 10-21-2015

I really thought that Laurier was a good place to put the statues.

RE: General Arts and Culture News - tomh009 - 11-09-2015

Christmas tree incoming ...

RE: General Arts and Culture News - panamaniac - 11-21-2015

Two new art works in K-W, both of them private, I think.  One has been placed directly in front of the entrance to 144 Park and evokes a railway crossing signal.  The other, on the Park St side of the old Granite Club, features folding ribbons of aluminum or stainless steel mounted on three poles, looks like three pine trees.  The block wall behind the three "trees" has been painted electric green (think Duke St parking garage ramp.  At a glance, the look and location of the 144 Park piece didn't impress me, but the work at the Granite Club is rather cool.