Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
The last two three posts are the best ones in pages of negative, hateful drivel.  Thank you Kevin and Tom.

I have never, ever understood the human desire to "hate" something so passionately.

(04-15-2018, 10:21 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Most of the problems with our trains and the Metrolinx order date back to well before Bellemare and Troger took leadership positions. Arguably they have made significant improvements in that time, although I don't follow the transportation side of the company very closely.

Yes, my sense is that the current leadership of Bombardier is doing pretty well at cleaning up the mess created by the previous leadership. As Canard has pointed out, once production of our LRVs was moved to Kingston, it moved along pretty smoothly. At this point I think the bigger issue is with slow work by GrandLinq. I think GrandLinq may have eased off in the knowledge that vehicles would not be ready according to the original schedule. Given that we’re seeing track rework and the like 8 months after the system should have opened, and 16 months after the vehicles were supposed to be on property, and 14 months after the first vehicle was on property and could have been towed around to verify geometry, it’s clear to me that they aren’t treating this with appropriate urgency.

While it is true that not all the vehicles are here yet, it must be possible to fully commission the system with fewer vehicles. Imagine that we only needed 30 minute headways. Then we would need 4-5 vehicles total, and we would as of the next delivery have everything we need to open. So GrandLinq should be completing commissioning of the system forthwith, including burn-in and everything, and just waiting for enough more vehicles to arrive to open with decent service. As each new vehicle arrives it obviously needs to be commissioned, but this is essentially just adding more vehicles to an already-operational system, which only needs to take a few days to a couple of weeks per vehicle (at least, I believe that is what the Toronto streetcar system is doing). So any talk of vehicles not being available at this point is pretty much just covering for a tardy commissioning process.
Further to the previous, there is a page which lists all of Toronto’s new streetcars:

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Toronto_..._4400-4603

The dates provided there indicate that new cars enter service well under a month after delivery. So this says that if the car delivery is the critical path, we can open our system complete with spares in July or August of this year, less than one month after the last delivery according to the current schedule. Any later opening than that is probably on GrandLinq alone, unless there is an issue with the in-car systems integration with the wayside equipment, which conceivably could still implicate Bombardier.
(04-15-2018, 10:54 AM)Canard Wrote: The last two three posts are the best ones in pages of negative, hateful drivel.  Thank you Kevin and Tom.

I have never, ever understood the human desire to "hate" something so passionately.

No need to throw the word "hate" around as is so commonly done every time someone reads or hears something they disagree with.  There are legitimate, truthful, accurate posts on this forum from people who are unhappy with the current situation and the response is to accuse of hate.

You have never understood the human desire to hate.  Others may have never understood the human desire to deny.
(04-15-2018, 03:32 AM)sevenman Wrote:
(04-15-2018, 01:32 AM)MacBerry Wrote: Please stop defending Bombardier and their lies and delays Oh it's Cn/CPs fault, please ... one and a half years late in deliveries and lateness growing ...

Canada's worst corporation BOMBARDIER. 

They have screwed their own reputation and the people of Ontario and Waterloo Region are their victims, they also have used taxpayer subsidies to enrich senior management.

Exactly Mac,

The last portion of your post is the most frustrating.  $32 million in bonuses for six, that's right SIX executives.

Good grief, $32M for 6 people WHO CAN'T GET THIS THING DONE ON TIME??!!?? What's the point of a bonus? LOL...
Everyone in this thread needs to take a breather and stop poking at each other
Councillor Galloway will be on CBC radio 1 (89.1) at 7:50 this morning.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

Is there more than one way BBD can ship LRT and Streetcars?  ... It appears using a truck float to transport TTC streetcars or possibly LRTs an option.

[Image: 105257.jpg]
(04-16-2018, 07:40 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Councillor Galloway will be on CBC radio 1 (89.1) at 7:50 this morning.

Is there any way to "roll it back" to listen to it?
Still no sign of 506 yet?
Not that I've seen.

More importantly, perhaps: Still no sign of testing? This is now the fourth (fifth?) week in a row with zero activity on the tracks. I'm not surprised today with the horrible weather, but... the optics are bad.
I get that they're doing other activities, but I wish they were more public about what they're actually up top.
(04-16-2018, 09:23 AM)Canard Wrote:
(04-16-2018, 07:40 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Councillor Galloway will be on CBC radio 1 (89.1) at 7:50 this morning.

Is there any way to "roll it back" to listen to it?

They don't put everything up, but if they choose that segment it will show up here sometime tomorrow.

Nothing new really. He said that the new penalties for Bombardier are proprietary information that can only be shared by Bombardier or Metrolinx, but that they are exponentially larger than the $1,500 per day per train that they have long since topped out on. I thought that was a bit confusing because I thought the new agreement only applied to the yet to be built Crosstown vehicles. If it does apply to our vehicles I guess the new deadline would be June?
Sigh. Almost no one understands the meaning of "exponential" these days. Sad The worst is this concept of "stepped exponential", which makes no sense at all ...

(04-16-2018, 09:22 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Sigh. Almost no one understands the meaning of "exponential" these days. Sad  The worst is this concept of "stepped exponential", which makes no sense at all ...

Sigh. Almost no one has any manner these days. I believe the phrase you were going for was, "thank-you for the summary."

Without having a direct quote to go from I was simply trying to use the words I thought I heard and remembered the councillor saying.

Hey Canard, can you explain the relevance of your earlier tweet about that CAD job posting?
Sorry, Pheidippides. I do appreciate the summary, i was just annoyed by the councillor's use of "exponential". Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »