Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
No, it's the Facebook group that Chris Drew mentioned on my post there.

Just spotted 506 by the Cameron crossover.

Something I hadn't seen before - its electronic sign was displaying bilingually, alternating 'Out of Service' with 'Hors Service'.
(09-24-2018, 11:30 AM)KevinL Wrote: Just spotted 506 by the Cameron crossover.

Something I hadn't seen before - its electronic sign was displaying bilingually, alternating 'Out of Service' with 'Hors Service'.

one of the many things we can blame Metrolinx for...
Why?
(09-24-2018, 12:52 PM)Spokes Wrote: Why?

Metrolinx designed many parts of the vehicles including the pre-programmed signage (which when we got them was entirely programmed for Eglinton Crosstown stations), bilingual default vehicle announcements (stand clear of the doors/Se tenir à l'écart des portes, etc).
(09-24-2018, 12:54 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(09-24-2018, 12:52 PM)Spokes Wrote: Why?

Metrolinx designed many parts of the vehicles including the pre-programmed signage (which when we got them was entirely programmed for Eglinton Crosstown stations).

Like this one when I snuck a peek inside 507 while it was at Conestoga the other day? Tongue

(09-24-2018, 12:58 PM)jason897 Wrote:
(09-24-2018, 12:54 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: Metrolinx designed many parts of the vehicles including the pre-programmed signage (which when we got them was entirely programmed for Eglinton Crosstown stations).

Like this one when I snuck a peek inside 507 while it was at Conestoga the other day? Tongue

Exactly

To be fair, I don't think bilingual signage is a bad thing.
(09-24-2018, 02:02 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: To be fair, I don't think bilingual signage is a bad thing.

It's not, but it can be a burden for smaller systems to maintain.
A new commercial has been released!

(09-24-2018, 12:58 PM)jason897 Wrote: Like this one when I snuck a peek inside 507 while it was at Conestoga the other day? Tongue
I just saw an LRT signed "Keele / Short Turn" at Queen and Duke  Smile
(09-25-2018, 01:42 PM)EdM Wrote:
(09-24-2018, 12:58 PM)jason897 Wrote: Like this one when I snuck a peek inside 507 while it was at Conestoga the other day? Tongue
I just saw an LRT signed "Keele / Short Turn" at Queen and Duke  Smile

LOL there's only a couple that have been reprogrammed for ION stations. Apparently 506 isn't one of them.
I asked; they’ve been provided templates from Toronto’s Outlook for the moment.

(09-24-2018, 02:50 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(09-24-2018, 02:02 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: To be fair, I don't think bilingual signage is a bad thing.

It's not, but it can be a burden for smaller systems to maintain.

Maintaining stop names and destinations shouldn’t be a problem. All that is needed is to translate any new stops and destinations when they come up. I don’t see how this can be a burden for any size of system: if you can afford to build a stop, you can afford to hire a translator to translate the 1-3 word stop name.

Ad hoc messages are more of an issue. If there is some explanation of an outage or something, it might be non-standard, especially if associated with some sort of emergency. Expecting a small system to have somebody bilingual on hand all the time to translate ad hoc messages doesn’t seem particularly reasonable.
There is no burden.

It’s awesome it’s bilingual, I love that.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »