Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF

I hope ykfgm registers. He mentioned that there may be an announcement in the near future.
I'll pass along the site info to him. I too would love to hear about this announcement....

Coke6pk
Passenger traffic soars at the Region of Waterloo International Airport

September 19, 2014

Waterloo Region – Passenger traffic at the Region of Waterloo International Airport continues to grow with August 2014 being the busiest month on record thanks to the 14,196 passengers that made the choice to “fly from home”.

Year to date passenger numbers thru August have also increased by 8.3 percent with 97,332 passengers travelling through the Region of Waterloo International Airport. Loads on American Airlines, WestJet and Nolinor have grown significantly, and the number of passengers travelling through the air terminal building is projected to reach 145,000 by the end of 2014.

“We seem to have reached a tipping point with awareness that is translating into more passengers,” said Chris Wood, General Manager at the Region of Waterloo International Airport. “The value proposition of flying from home is a significant savings of both time and dollars. We want to thank everyone who has made the choice to fly from home – you make local air service viable and every full seat helps us attract more air service.”

Earlier this year the Region of Waterloo International Airport was ranked the 16th busiest Airport in Canada according to Statistics Canada Annual Aircraft Movement Statistics Report for 2013. Daily scheduled air service with connections to over 250 destinations in 40 countries from the Region of Waterloo International Airport is provided by: American Airlines offering twice daily non-stop service to Chicago; WestJet, offering daily non-stop service to Calgary; and Sunwing Airlines offering weekly direct service to Cancun, Mexico from December through mid-March. For more information visit http://www.waterlooairport.ca, call, toll free 1-866-648-2256 or contact your travel agent.

Link: http://waterlooairport.ca/en/newslist/i ... eQuAleQuAl

14,196 passengers going through the airport terminal in August would mean that the airport handled approximately 458 passengers per day. Based on the number of seats that Westjet and AA offer into and out of YKF on a daily basis (472 seats per day, excluding Saturdays, when that figure drops), the loads into and out of YKF must have been incredible.
Glad you made your way over YKF!

That's great news! Are these numbers at all sustainable?
Happy to see those numbers, even though I don't seem to recall any big/major changes for such increase, hope it's organic growth indeed
YKF Wrote:Passenger traffic soars at the Region of Waterloo International Airport

14,196 passengers going through the airport terminal in August would mean that the airport handled approximately 458 passengers per day. Based on the number of seats that Westjet and AA offer into and out of YKF on a daily basis (472 seats per day, excluding Saturdays, when that figure drops), the loads into and out of YKF must have been incredible.

It must be frustrating selling the airport to other carriers.  With almost full planes what else could YKF possibly do to attract more business?

A second daily WestJet flight to Calgary would be a start.
Spokes Wrote:Glad you made your way over YKF!

That's great news! Are these numbers at all sustainable?

I'm glad I found this place. Things just weren't the same when WW went down. Thanks for setting up Waterloo Region Connected Big Grin .
I think that the passenger record was a combination of a strong summer travel season combined with greater public knowledge of the airport and that we'll see September's numbers fall to reflect the end of summer. It's safe to say that people in the Region know about YKF to some extent and are taking advantage of its services.

I'm hoping that ykf_gm finds his way over here soon so that he can give up the inside scoop.
I remember hearing a year or two ago about a proposed major upgrade to YKF to handle overflow from YYZ. Has anybody heard any updates on this?
(09-30-2014, 08:45 PM)Urbanomicon Wrote: I remember hearing a year or two ago about a proposed major upgrade to YKF to handle overflow from YYZ. Has anybody heard any updates on this?

Earlier this year, there was a master plan process with several options that would guide investment in expansion of the airport. A bunch of people in the airport vicinity complained about any and all expansion. More importantly, Bearskin cancelled their Ottawa-based service right around then. In that environment, council didn't support the expansion options.
(10-01-2014, 08:41 PM)mpd618 Wrote:
(09-30-2014, 08:45 PM)Urbanomicon Wrote: I remember hearing a year or two ago about a proposed major upgrade to YKF to handle overflow from YYZ. Has anybody heard any updates on this?

Earlier this year, there was a master plan process with several options that would guide investment in expansion of the airport. A bunch of people in the airport vicinity complained about any and all expansion. More importantly, Bearskin cancelled their Ottawa-based service right around then. In that environment, council didn't support the expansion options.

That is disappointing. Hopefully this (or something similar) will be back on the table in a few years, especially with the addition of American Airlines. It's a shame to think that such a major potential boost to the region's economy and continued growth was derailed (at least in part) due to a few noise complaints. Not that I'm unsympathetic to the property owners, I just think a compromise could have been reached.
(10-01-2014, 10:15 PM)Urbanomicon Wrote:

That is disappointing. Hopefully this (or something similar) will be back on the table in a few years, especially with the addition of American Airlines. It's a shame to think that such a major potential boost to the region's economy and continued growth was derailed (at least in part) due to a few noise complaints. Not that I'm unsympathetic to the property owners, I just think a compromise could have been reached.

Didn't you hear, it's an election year Wink

(10-01-2014, 10:18 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(10-01-2014, 10:15 PM)Urbanomicon Wrote:

Didn't you hear, it's an election year Wink
Hello everyone, sorry about the delay in registering... Took me a while to figure out WW was gone, and this site replaced it. Good to see there is another airport forum to discuss your local airport.

August was an amazing month for passengers. The best ever. September was another record breaking month (best September yet), and so far October is keeping the trend going.

Lots to talk about. I can try to answer your questions if you have any...

Great to be back with you...

Chris
Airport General Manager
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »