Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Retail News
(07-26-2017, 03:46 PM)Canard Wrote: Sad Another Canadian chain getting eaten up by an American one.  Hate that.

On the flip side, there is the $3B sent by Lowe's to Canadian investors, and meanwhile the Rona stores and employees continue largely the way they are today.  So it's not all bad.

Until the Rona stores in close proximity to Lowe's stores close - like in Cambridge.
(07-26-2017, 10:44 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: Until the Rona stores in close proximity to Lowe's stores close - like in Cambridge.

** THIS **

Sad
(07-26-2017, 03:46 PM)Canard Wrote: Sad Another Canadian chain getting eaten up by an American one.  Hate that.

As much as I do too, Rona should have tried harder to be better.  As much as I'd prefer to shop Canadian, when the products and prices elsewhere are better, hard to not go there in my opinion
There's still Home Hardware.
Home Hardware on Park St. is my preferred go to hardware store. I still refer to it as Beaver Lumber.
Home is also reportedly putting in a building centre just north of the Boardwalk - where it will compete with Lowe's...

I wonder if Downtown will be chosen for a new "CCBO" outlet in Kitchener, or whether they will follow a more suburban path?
Ikea's next full-size store is opening in... London, in 2019.

How much longer until we get similarly blessed?
(10-12-2017, 06:44 PM)KevinL Wrote: Ikea's next full-size store is opening in... London, in 2019.

With a new store in London, I'd wager that the prospect for another in the Region has pretty much disappeared.
(10-12-2017, 09:59 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(10-12-2017, 06:44 PM)KevinL Wrote: Ikea's next full-size store is opening in... London, in 2019.

With a new store in London, I'd wager that the prospect for another in the Region has pretty much disappeared.

Even Winnipeg (meaning all of Manitoba) didn’t get a store until just a couple of years ago. I don’t think Ikea builds a store unless there is massive demand. We’ll have to be satisfied with the pickup point near Sportsworld for a long time to come. It has meatballs and Lingonberry sauce anyway so that’s the most important thing. Now if they would just add a cafeteria, maybe on UW campus.
London has had a pickup point a couple of years longer than us, so if that's an indicator...

I get the London choice, it corners the market on that end of the province.  But what gives, I still see us as a better location

People here are more than willing to drive to Burlington so I guess they don't see much of an advantage to building a store.
(10-13-2017, 12:35 PM)clasher Wrote: People here are more than willing to drive to Burlington so I guess they don't see much of an advantage to building a store.

I thought that would be the case for MEC too, but here we are. Burlington, Kitchener and London all have MEC locations.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »