Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.38 Average
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete

Oh, it's this side of Charles! I was picturing the old Post Office site (not that it's now ruled out, or anything).
Oh no not the gazz bar?! Where will I fill my propane up?
"insider" (wasn't it?) vindicated at long last!
What will become of the new windows Manulife just installed in the wall above this?
(03-29-2017, 01:31 PM)clasher Wrote: Oh no not the gazz bar?! Where will I fill my propane up?

This was my thought as well.  I've literally transported a propane cylinder by bike to this station.  I really wouldn't want to go a whole lot farther with such an unapproved method of transportation.
That's why you have to be careful about windows in abutting properties. What this will look like, given the small plot size and neighbours, will be interesting. Already hopeful though.

(03-29-2017, 01:36 PM)Chicopee Wrote:
(03-29-2017, 01:24 PM)KevinL Wrote: Oh, it's this side of Charles! I was picturing the old Post Office site (not that it's now ruled out, or anything).

Me too! This site seems rather tight for such an ambitious project. The post office site is twice the size.

The site would be comparable in size to One Victoria, would it not?
Very exciting not much detail revealed however, I wonder where the CBC got their information from?
(03-29-2017, 01:24 PM)KevinL Wrote: Oh, it's this side of Charles! I was picturing the old Post Office site (not that it's now ruled out, or anything).

I recall I did suggest this site.

The first response on Twitter:
Quote:downtown is rapidly losing its charm with these enormous condo buildings there will be nothing to see but glass and concrete

I don't think this is exactly a "charming" building on the site at the moment!
Indeed, Downtown could lose a heck of a lot more "charm" along those lines before I'd become too concerned.
(03-29-2017, 02:05 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(03-29-2017, 01:36 PM)Chicopee Wrote: Me too! This site seems rather tight for such an ambitious project. The post office site is twice the size.

The site would be comparable in size to One Victoria, would it not?

Almost.  0.54 acres vs 0.59 for 1 Victoria.
Article's up:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-...-1.4045967

Key new information:
Quote:The half-acre property has been purchased by Momentum Developments, who are working in partnership with Zehr Group.

"This is a continuation of a series of buildings that we've been a part of over the last 5 years. 100 Victoria is a partnership we started with Zehr Group about a year ago and this is the next phase. We're moving a little more into the core," said Brian Prudham, principal with Momentum Developments.

The deal is set to close in the fall of 2017. During that time the developers will work on the planning approvals and site cleanup, which could mean shovels hit the dirt in about 18 months.  

(03-29-2017, 01:56 PM)KevinL Wrote: What will become of the new windows Manulife just installed in the wall above this?

Windows to the outside world are much better than nothing which was there before, even if it's onto a nearby building.  Any natural light is good for working conditions, IMO.
New article from Kitchener Post:
https://www.kitchenerpost.ca/news-story/...-highrise/

Quote:“We’re looking at plus or minus 25 storeys and plus or minus 250 residential units and about 6,000 square feet of retail at the base of the Charles Street side, just adjacent to the LRT platform,” said Brian Prudham, a principal with Momentum.

And a website:
http://charliewest.ca/

And render: (in two awkward pieces...)

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »