Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UW Science Teaching Complex | ?m | 5 fl | U/C
UW Science Teaching Complex
http://www.nxl.ca/project/university-of-...g-complex/
Construction firm: Bondfeld Construction
Architect: NXL and ZAS Architects
Project: 120,000 sf building featuring 36,800 sf biology and chemistry teaching laboratories, 425 seat amphitheatre, a 300 seat lecture hall, 3 150-seat teaching rooms, student lounges, meeting rooms and a student cafe.

[Image: oOR7TW0.png]

[Image: vuyj6Bz.png]

Science Teaching Complex
Dec 6, 2012 | UWaterloo.ca | LINK

Quote:WATERLOO, Ont. (Thursday, Dec. 6, 2012) – The new home for undergraduate studies in the Faculty of Science at the University of Waterloo is one step closer to reality with today's groundbreaking of the new Science Teaching Complex.

The five-storey, 120 000-square-foot building will be located in the heart of campus. Demand for the Faculty’s successful undergraduate program has grown significantly in recent years. The complex will be dedicated to the undergraduates, providing resources they need to succeed while they study at Waterloo.

It gives me great pleasure to host today's groundbreaking ceremony for this exciting addition to our campus," said Feridun Hamdullahpur, president & vice-chancellor of Waterloo. "This university is committed to help our students reach their full academic potential, our faculty to continue their tradition of research and teaching excellence, and the Faculty of Science to expand on its distinguished and critical role in training the great researchers of the future. I am particularly grateful to Mike and Ophelia Lazaridis for their vision for science and tremendous contributions to the University of Waterloo by making this building a reality.

Construction of the new building was made possible with the generous support of $10 million by Mike Lazaridis, co-founder and vice chair of the board at Research in Motion, and his wife Ophelia. Both attended today's ceremony.

Ophelia and I are deeply committed to helping the University of Waterloo remain at the forefront of scientific discovery and technological innovation that we believe will transform the Waterloo region into the Quantum Valley," said Mr. Lazaridis. "We are pleased that this project will contribute to that goal.

The Science Teaching Complex will include a suite of lecture rooms, including a 425-seat amphitheatre, the largest on campus, a 300-seat lecture hall, as well as three additional 150-seat teaching rooms. First-year teaching laboratories, student lounges, meeting rooms and a student café are also included in the building designed by ZAS Inc. Architects, NXL Architects, MCW Consultants, JMR Electric Ltd. and Read Jones Christoffersen Consulting Engineers.

This ambitious, student-centred facility will bring our undergraduates together in the core of campus," said Terry McMahon, dean of science."We consider this to be the new home for science students, a hub of activity where they can gather, collaborate and work towards their educational goals.

Bondfield Construction Company is expected to take roughly two years to complete the building, with a target opening date of April 2015.
May 23, 2014

[Image: DuKT44u.png]

[Image: hvZvw3l.png]

September 19, 2014

[Image: lB0sRcO.png]

[Image: SftQ6DC]
[Image: raZ0LOq.jpg]
[Image: 6rnegIT.jpg]
[Image: 6CuehzX.jpg]
[Image: zbV6cxT.jpg]
Anyone else feel that U of W has the oddest assortment of buildings ever collected on one campus?
It would certainly be in the top ranks.
In the spirit of "Why Not"?

They tried to 'kind of' match this construction with the buildings around it... Still though, this campus is a mishmash of different designs
University of Guelph wouldn't be far behind. Victorian, midcentury, brutalist, and modern all rubbing shoulders. For a bonus, cross the street from the main part of the campus and you aren't far from the dairy barns.
I agree, but it seems to work for Guelph and not Waterloo. I'm not sure why. I always enjoy visiting Western, it feels and looks like a classic university setting.
Western has it's fair share of brutalist and monolithic concrete slab buildings from the 1970s as well that detract from the traditional limestone campus buildings. The Weldon Library is horrible, as is the Social Science Centre.
Space may be the key. Western and Guelph strike me has not being quite so contrained so there is a little more space to breathe. WLU seems to have mastered the art of fitting buildings into tight spaces without ending up to crowded. This allows for some outside public space suitable for gatherings (think orientation), outdoor studying, or even just throwing around a frisbee. When you can't see the buildings for the people 'on the street' as it were, things don't seem that awkwardly placed.
One step closer to have the whole campus connected by tunnels/bridges...

Apparently it's up to 215k sq. ft. now, has received "We're having an election soon" federal funding of $24.7M, and is called a "Science Complex": https://uwaterloo.ca/news/news/universit...omplex-247

[Image: ne-view.jpg.jpeg?itok=sP95xmcE]

Looks like they're now including a second building (the one on the right looking to replace the greenhouse) in the plan.
(08-04-2015, 12:08 PM)chutten Wrote: Apparently it's up to 215k sq. ft. now, has received "We're having an election soon" federal funding of $24.7M, and is called a "Science Complex": https://uwaterloo.ca/news/news/universit...omplex-247

[Image: ne-view.jpg.jpeg?itok=sP95xmcE]

Looks like they're now including a second building (the one on the right looking to replace the greenhouse) in the plan.

Wow... the greenhouse is such a landmark at UW. Sad...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »