Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kitchener Public Library
(07-09-2015, 08:39 PM)KevinL Wrote: A different cafe will be launching in the reading room at Central in mid-August: Hacienda Coffee.

Good news! I think these are the same folks that roast for Matter of Taste.

Hopefully they can run more hours.
All but one time I was in KPL, the Matter of Taste was closed.
The other time, the staff person was mysteriously absent. I was very tempted to just leave money on the counter for a croissant, but I had no idea what the prices were.
(07-10-2015, 11:07 AM)Markster Wrote: Hopefully they can run more hours.
All but one time I was in KPL, the Matter of Taste was closed.
The other time, the staff person was mysteriously absent.  I was very tempted to just leave money on the counter for a croissant, but I had no idea what the prices were.

I'm just guessing that the cafe's hours will track those of the Library - the abbreviated schedule for the Matter of Taste kiosk was just part of the experiment to see how a coffee shop might work out in the reading room (given the failure of the powers to contemplate the inclusion of a café/eatery in the renovation/expansion plans0.
Kitchener Public Library is hosting a pop-up library program in Victoria Park called Books in the Park. People of all ages can browse and sign out a collection of books, ask for advice about what to read next, and meet others - informal book club style.

[Image: CKhXDGmW8AEWdAJ.png]

The ad reads: Love to read and love the outdoors? Come read with us in the park! Bring a book or chat with a librarian about what to read next. Get to know other book-lovers and check out new books. We meet by the clock town in Victoria Park, near the bus terminal.

Every Other Wednesday from  1-3pm
July 8, July 22, August 5, August 19
Will we see the return of the Bookmobile?
(08-05-2015, 04:35 PM)nms Wrote: Will we see the return of the Bookmobile?

Gosh, I used to love the Bookmobile back in the day.  Does the KPL bookmobile van even exist anymore?
(08-05-2015, 04:51 PM)panamaniac Wrote:

Gosh, I used to love the Bookmobile back in the day.  Does the KPL bookmobile van even exist anymore?

I too really loved the KPL Bookmobile. It came to Mount Hope Street one day a week or every two weeks (I can't remember) and then sometimes it also showed up in the driveway of King Edward school where every class would go out, line up, browse and take out books for school or home reading.

Instead of building branches, the library (-ies, but…) should make arrangements with many scattered retailers, similar to the post office counters. Find a book online, and later that day you get a notification that it's ready for you at the local book desk.
(08-09-2015, 07:25 PM)kps Wrote: Instead of building branches, the library (-ies, but…) should make arrangements with many scattered retailers, similar to the post office counters. Find a book online, and later that day you get a notification that it's ready for you at the local book desk.

I understand the Toronto Public Library is looking into a 'library vending machine' where a selection of popular titles will be stocked in a machine accessible to patrons; it could also be used to hold reserved items. They intend to install the first of these at Union Station.
(08-09-2015, 07:25 PM)kps Wrote:

Instead of building branches, the library (-ies, but…) should make arrangements with many scattered retailers, similar to the post office counters. Find a book online, and later that day you get a notification that it's ready for you at the local book desk.

Instead of building branches?

I could understand it being a complement, but libraries have not been just about books for some time.
Computers and printing, Wifi, Programs, Meeting rooms, Study space, I'm sure there are other services I'm forgetting.

The library is a vital public space, not just a hold pickup location.
Maybe instead of building new locations the libraries of the region should work with schools to make use of their library spaces? School library staff are being cut left and right anyway, so maybe the public libraries could make better use of the space.
(08-10-2015, 05:33 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: Maybe instead of building new locations the libraries of the region should work with schools to make use of their library spaces? School library staff are being cut left and right anyway, so maybe the public libraries could make better use of the space.

If school libraries are actually being closed, that space could probably be used for classrooms, based on the number of portables most schools seem to have.
Not everywhere; the school in my neighbourhood has had all theirs removed. We have a new development going in, but it's been theorized that they might build a new school closer to the new houses instead.

(08-10-2015, 05:33 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: Maybe instead of building new locations the libraries of the region should work with schools to make use of their library spaces? School library staff are being cut left and right anyway, so maybe the public libraries could make better use of the space.

Several local schools have public libraries in them, mitigating costs for the public library boards. St Benedict's in Cambridge and St. Mary's in Kitchener come to mind.

(As a finance guy, I endorse this, it seems like a win win)
[Image: 600_440633883.jpeg]

Game on at the library! Want to try new games, meet new people, and discover awesome local businesses in the Kitchener-Waterloo region? Do you enjoy saving the world, adopting secret identities, and arguing about wheat?

Each night we’ll be featuring a local board game café who will come in with a unique selection of new board games. We will also feature a local coffee shop who will provide freshly roasted coffee. Our featured companies include: Crossroads Café, Games on Tap, The Adventurer’s Guild, Matter of Taste, The Charcoal Group, Baden Coffee Company and more. Come with your friends, or come to make new ones!

We'll be playing games like Settlers of Catan, Pandemic, Smash Up, Avalon, Munchkin, Zombie Dice, Anomia, and more.

Event occurs at the Forest Heights branch of Kitchener Public Library at 251 Fischer-Hallman Road. Transit to library is available by #2 or #22 bus routes. Free parking and free coffee!

The program runs from 7:00-8:30 on the following days:
Tues September 8
Mon September 21
Tues October 6
Mon October 19
Tues November 3
Mon November 16
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »