Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Caroline St Private Residences | 22 fl | Complete
(03-06-2015, 09:08 PM)KingandWeber Wrote: Also, first time post but long time lurker...hope the first comment was a good one! 

Welcome to the forum!

A recent update on Mady:
http://blogs.windsorstar.com/business/in...-in-barrie

Mady's bankruptcy protection has been extended to July; Windsor Star thinks they may have to sell Collier Centre at that time (assuming they can find a buyer). Whether that will raise enough funds for Mady to survive and complete their other projects, including 144 and/or 155, remains to be seen.

In any case, it seems that the condo owners at 144 Park as well as the rest of us will need to wait at least another three months to see what will happen.
Mady has sold many of their other pre-construction projects. Is 155 up for sale? 
Any ideas who would buy it?
(04-18-2015, 10:13 AM)tomh009 Wrote: A recent update on Mady:
http://blogs.windsorstar.com/business/in...-in-barrie

Mady's bankruptcy protection has been extended to July; Windsor Star thinks they may have to sell Collier Centre at that time (assuming they can find a buyer).  Whether that will raise enough funds for Mady to survive and complete their other projects, including 144 and/or 155, remains to be seen.

In any case, it seems that the condo owners at 144 Park as well as the rest of us will need to wait at least another three months to see what will happen.

And a lot longer than that to have visitor parking.
(05-13-2015, 07:58 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-18-2015, 10:13 AM)tomh009 Wrote: In any case, it seems that the condo owners at 144 Park as well as the rest of us will need to wait at least another three months to see what will happen.

And a lot longer than that to have visitor parking.

Is 155 supposed to provide visitor parking for 144 residents?  In the meantime, is there no visitor parking at all, or only on the outside/surface lot?
There's also street parking along Allen St W as far as Esson as well as on York and Esson. It's only a few minutes walk.
(05-14-2015, 01:15 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-13-2015, 07:58 PM)panamaniac Wrote: And a lot longer than that to have visitor parking.

Is 155 supposed to provide visitor parking for 144 residents?  In the meantime, is there no visitor parking at all, or only on the outside/surface lot?

That is my understanding.

(05-14-2015, 07:25 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-14-2015, 01:15 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Is 155 supposed to provide visitor parking for 144 residents?  In the meantime, is there no visitor parking at all, or only on the outside/surface lot?

That is my understanding.

No visitor parking at all -- or they can use the surface lot?
(05-16-2015, 09:11 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-14-2015, 07:25 AM)panamaniac Wrote: That is my understanding.

No visitor parking at all -- or they can use the surface lot?

That I do not know.  The owners of a unit in 144 that I know felt obliged to rent an unused garage spot from another resident to ensure parking for their visitors.
(05-16-2015, 09:34 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-16-2015, 09:11 PM)tomh009 Wrote: No visitor parking at all -- or they can use the surface lot?

That I do not know.  The owners of a unit in 144 that I know felt obliged to rent an unused garage spot from another resident to ensure parking for their visitors.

Kijiji ads claim "plenty of visitor parking" so I have to assume the surface lot (in the future location of 155).  Not ideal but not much worse than the "visitor parking" if you were to live in a house.
Anyone buy at 155 and have any update on what's going on with this?
Mady’s 155 Uptown condo project may be sold

Quote:Waterloo Region Record
By Paige Desmond 
WATERLOO — The 155 Uptown project on Caroline Street in Waterloo may be sold and completed by another developer after Mady Development Corporation went bankrupt on its adjacent 144 Park project earlier this year.

The Caroline Street South project was approved by the city in 2013 but construction hasn't started on the 19-storey building and no building permit has been issued.

"It's approved from a site plan perspective so it's now within the hands of the landowner to move it forward," said Joel Cotter, the city's director of planning approvals.

To date, 79 of the planned 178 condos had been sold, according to Scott Cruickshank, co-founder of Mint Realty. The company is involved in the disposition of 155 Caroline to a new developer, although nothing has been finalized yet.

...more

As much as I loved the original plan for 144 Park, I thought the 155 Caroline project was awful. The trail being moved between a parking garage and a brick wall, the brick wall along Caroline, and no retail were all negatives IMO. 

Even though it would be costly, hopefully a new developer will scrap the already approved site plan and then build something more inspiring.
Not just costly, but reopening the site plan would introduce huge uncertainty into the project, it might take two months or two years to get back to an approved site plan.  Presumably anyone buying 155 (rather than creating a new development elsewhere) would want to restart sales immediately and get shovels into the ground sooner rather than later.

The trail location is not great, but it's the end of the trail, not the middle, so I can accept that.  And there is a solid retail presence across the street, anchored by Vincenzo's.

(08-06-2015, 03:07 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The trail location is not great, but it's the end of the trail, not the middle, so I can accept that.

If you think of the place called "Iron Horse Trail" then yes. If you think of the continuous north-south corridor for walking and biking, then it's pretty much in the middle - the pathway is to be extended between William and Erb streets, and then connect up to the Laurel Trail.
To be extended ... somehow I don't think the extension will be as nice as the (majority of) Iron Horse Trail, probably closer to what it will be at 155. But of course I am only speculating, I have no facts to back this up.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »