Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Track is being laid just north of Columbia:

[Image: rl25sfE.jpg]

(08-27-2015, 08:25 AM)Waterlooer Wrote: Does anyone have an idea what the door chime for our LRVs will be? I'm assuming there will be one... Does Bombardier choose the sound, or would it be the Region?

I've been wondering the same thing since the system was first approved. It's one of my favourite things about systems; the noises and sounds just as much as the visuals. I always hoped for this, which exists on my favourite Bombardier product, but as DHLawrence mentions below...

(08-27-2015, 03:58 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: If we're piggybacking on a Metrolinx order it will probably be the GO/TTC chime.

...we will likely get this.

Still, for a multi-million dollar order, you'd think they could throw in half a day for someone to sit down and program something a little more unique. I reached out to Bombardier and The Region about this a little while back. I asked the same thing on UrbanToronto a while back, which they didn't much appreciate.

Other cities have also held contests for being the voice of automated stop announcements. I love stuff like this so much and really hope they'll consider doing it here.

The new retaining wall at KCI is getting ready to be assembled.

[Image: 20150828_093104.jpg]
The aBRT shelters on Hespeler Road have new decals on them touting the service as the "first step towards light rail".
Yeah! They've been showing them off all over Twitter and Facebook. They look great!
Has anyone else noticed that the Region has been dropping the "a" from aBRT more lately? And does that bother anyone else other than me? I mean, it's not really a BRT service, right?
It depends on how you define BRT.

(08-29-2015, 03:23 PM)Canard Wrote: It depends on how you define BRT.

Naturally. It seems that most definitions of BRT include a dedicated right of way, which is something that ION lacks.
The "rideION.ca/abrt" page now has questions about "BRT" rather than "aBRT."

Most BRT implemented in North America is watered down, and little better than conventional bus service. That's by-and-large the case with the service in Cambridge. If they have to call it anything, call it "future Ion LRT extension." I never understood "aBRT," but it's annoying if GRT will increasingly call it BRT. Good BRT can be very, very good, and we could use some of it on various corridors in the Region.
So... ideal / dream phase 2 routes? Been thinking about this for a few days. Actually just typed up a long thing on it and then Chrome crashed, erasing it, so I'll type this out quickly this time.

Starting at Fairview Mall, the tracks would head over to King St E and follow that. There would be a stop at River Rd (Chicopee) or possibly Freeport.
Continuing along the rail corridor, there would be another stop at the track crossing at Maple Grove Rd, servicing the business parks here (both proposed and current).

From here, the track would split:
  • SB track would turn and continue down to Sportsworld / King. There would be another stop here.
  • Following King, there would be another stop at the top of Shantz, or within Preston Heights; the track would run through this neighbourhood.
  • The track would follow down Preston Pkwy — it's  a steep hill, hence there only being SB track here. The track would cross Fountain and travel over the Speed River, connecting with Eagle (there is a proposed trail / bridge crossing here). Continuing down Eagle, there would be another stop at Eagle / King, for downtown Preston.

The NB track would continue along the rail corridor:
  • There would be a stop mid-length along Riverside Park
  • Following the bridge, it would rejoin the SB track at the King / Eagle stop.

Both tracks would now follow along Eagle. A stop near Eagle / Concession or thereabouts could serve this neighbourhood.
Of course, a stop at Eagle / Pinebush / Hespeler, where the tracks would continue down Hespeler.
A stop at Hespeler / Sheldon / Langs. Great for Beertown!  Big Grin
Another stop at the Cambridge Center, of course,
A stop at Hespeler / Can Amera, or possibly Hespeler / Isherwood / Munch.
Heading to the Delta, where there would be another stop and a track split:
  • One track would head down Dundas, with a stop at Soper Park
  • The track would follow the creek which is a direct shot to the Ainslie Terminal

The other track would head down Water. 
  • Possibly a stop at GCI?
  • A stop at the Mill Race, which would provide access to the new condos (and eventual hotel) that are being built there, Dickson park across the bridge, and LA Franks Wink
  • A stop at Water / Main, with access to downtown Galt, Queens Sq Library, the retirement home, and the UW Architecture campus across the bridge
  • A stop at Water / Concession, for the RiverFront Condominiums, and with access to Southworks / the Dunfield Theatre across the bridge
  • Traveling up Concession to Ainslie / Wellington, the down Wellington to the Ainslie Terminal.

I think this could work really well! The only thing that might be a bit iffy is the Preston Heights stop, because of possible small ridership / that hill. Included it becase there's not many other places to go after stopping at Sportsworld, where I really want there to be a stop!

Now, Phase 3? I don't to clog the forum with a giant list of stops, but I will be very upset if it doesn't start at the Sunrise Center, travel down Ottawa to Homer Watson (could easily branch off to the Ottawa / Mill stop from here... not sure if that's a thing that helps infrastructure or not.), then travel down Homer Watson -> Fountain until eventually joining back up with Phase 2 at King / Eagle. There's a surplus of possible stops along this route, so it seems obvious to me!
(08-30-2015, 06:33 PM)GtwoK Wrote: From here, the track would split: ...

Not passing judgement on the rest of it, but on this? Please, no. A one-way transit stop is one of the worst things. It's bad enough when the two directions are separated by a relatively short distance, but it's not really workable to have a rapid transit stop that lets you go in only one direction and have no way of getting back.
Is this concrete slab at R&T Park going to be part of the station platform?

[Image: IMG_20150830_175015_zpsia3wl6vu.jpg]
(08-30-2015, 06:33 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Now, Phase 3? I don't to clog the forum with a giant list of stops, but I will be very upset if it doesn't start at the Sunrise Center, travel down Ottawa to Homer Watson (could easily branch off to the Ottawa / Mill stop from here... not sure if that's a thing that helps infrastructure or not.), then travel down Homer Watson -> Fountain until eventually joining back up with Phase 2 at King / Eagle. There's a surplus of possible stops along this route, so it seems obvious to me!

Sorry, but what type of ridership demand would this meet? Beyond Conestoga College I don't think there's much demand in this corridor.

(08-30-2015, 09:00 PM)mpd618 Wrote:
(08-30-2015, 06:33 PM)GtwoK Wrote: From here, the track would split: ...

Not passing judgement on the rest of it, but on this? Please, no. A one-way transit stop is one of the worst things. It's bad enough when the two directions are separated by a relatively short distance, but it's not really workable to have a rapid transit stop that lets you go in only one direction and have no way of getting back.

Alright, point taken. I had assumed that since it was done at a few points in phase 1 that it was a relatively normal thing to have, though I understand the qualms.

(08-30-2015, 11:14 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(08-30-2015, 06:33 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Now, Phase 3? I don't to clog the forum with a giant list of stops, but I will be very upset if it doesn't start at the Sunrise Center, travel down Ottawa to Homer Watson (could easily branch off to the Ottawa / Mill stop from here... not sure if that's a thing that helps infrastructure or not.), then travel down Homer Watson -> Fountain until eventually joining back up with Phase 2 at King / Eagle. There's a surplus of possible stops along this route, so it seems obvious to me!

Sorry, but what type of ridership demand would this meet? Beyond Conestoga College I don't think there's much demand in this corridor.

The Sunrise Center, a portion of Westmount,  the Laurentian area, St. Mary's / the Country Hills area, the Homer Watson Business Park, the Pioneer Park area, the Doon South area, and 2 campuses of Conestoga College (as well as the planned massive public recreational complex) were the areas I had been thinking of. Is that too small of a ridership area? I had thought that was pretty significant, but I might be wrong. As well, I'm not overly familiar with how LRT systems work, I had figured that once the system becomes less linear that trains would be able to travel all around, or at least have connecting stations to multiple lines. My suggestion could easily connect to the Mill /Ottawa, Block Line Rd, and Prestonsburg stations. 

I thought I was clever :/. Just a dream, I suppose.
(08-30-2015, 11:38 PM)GtwoK Wrote: The Sunrise Center, a portion of Westmount,  the Laurentian area, St. Mary's / the Country Hills area, the Homer Watson Business Park, the Pioneer Park area, the Doon South area, and 2 campuses of Conestoga College (as well as the planned massive public recreational complex) were the areas I had been thinking of. Is that too small of a ridership area? I had thought that was pretty significant, but I might be wrong. As well, I'm not overly familiar with how LRT systems work, I had figured that once the system becomes less linear that trains would be able to travel all around, or at least have connecting stations to multiple lines. My suggestion could easily connect to the Mill /Ottawa, Block Line Rd, and Prestonsburg stations.

It really won't be cost-effective for low-density residential areas, such as Country Hills or Pioneer Park.  Those are car-centric areas, and an LRT won't change it for now.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »