Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
Yeah, you're going to want a train that's at the right time so that taking it means missing the worst of the 401 traffic. A 7:30 and an 8:00 departure should make sure of that.

+1 for a Park-and-Ride at Breslau. Ridership would skyrocket; there's very limited parking downtown right now, and anyone from just outside the city isn't going to try and work their way downtown to the station adding another 30+ mintues to their trip time. Breslau is already heading in the right direction (toward Toronto) and since it's outside of the congestion of the city, people would be more likely to drive there.
(09-24-2015, 07:38 PM)Markster Wrote: Yeah, you're going to want a train that's at the right time so that taking it means missing the worst of the 401 traffic.  A 7:30 and an 8:00 departure should make sure of that.

You're also going to want to address the speed the train has to go through Guelph in some manner before it becomes attractive enough; and more stops added through the GTA as this report suggests isn't going to help.
A Breslau station will definitely be tied to development though. I'm pretty sure its proposed location needs a ton of servicing upgrades and road improvements that wouldn't make sense to do before the subdivision goes in.
(09-24-2015, 08:08 PM)Canard Wrote: +1 for a Park-and-Ride at Breslau. Ridership would skyrocket; there's very limited parking downtown right now, and anyone from just outside the city isn't going to try and work their way downtown to the station adding another 30+ mintues to their trip time. Breslau is already heading in the right direction (toward Toronto) and since it's outside of the congestion of the city, people would be more likely to drive there.

It's not especially difficult to get downtown in a car for 5:50am, and you could probably travel from Guelph to Kitchener in half at hour at that time of day.

Is parking oversubscribed at the Via station right now?

As others have said, two trips a day probably won't be able to attract enough ridership to justify another station in the Region. When we get more service, and parking downtown really does become a barrier to ridership growth, probably it will make sense.
(09-25-2015, 11:11 AM)MidTowner Wrote:
(09-24-2015, 08:08 PM)Canard Wrote: +1 for a Park-and-Ride at Breslau.  Ridership would skyrocket; there's very limited parking downtown right now, and anyone from just outside the city isn't going to try and work their way downtown to the station adding another 30+ mintues to their trip time.  Breslau is already heading in the right direction (toward Toronto) and since it's outside of the congestion of the city, people would be more likely to drive there.

It's not especially difficult to get downtown in a car for 5:50am, and you could probably travel from Guelph to Kitchener in half at hour at that time of day.

Is parking oversubscribed at the Via station right now?

As others have said, two trips a day probably won't be able to attract enough ridership to justify another station in the Region. When we get more service, and parking downtown really does become a barrier to ridership growth, probably it will make sense.

It's not free parking. Sometimes people like to park their car for free when they drive to the GO station. I'd imagine Breslau parking would be free.
(09-25-2015, 05:27 PM)plam Wrote: It's not free parking. Sometimes people like to park their car for free when they drive to the GO station. I'd imagine Breslau parking would be free.

Okay, fair point. So it's not that the parking is limited, it's that no one else is covering the cost.

I was just looking at transportation options from Pearson to Waterloo and I noticed that GO has revived route 40. Now it goes from Hamilton to Pearson via Square One. This is awesome!

By the way, I also managed to take the GO from Kitchener to YYZ a few weeks ago, by getting on the UP at Weston. For me it was OK for a transborder flight around 1030, but I have NEXUS.
Even before the return of the 40, one option was to take one of the buses from Kitchener Train to Bramalea, which has convenient Pearson connections.
(09-27-2015, 05:37 PM)KevinL Wrote: Even before the return of the 40, one option was to take one of the buses from Kitchener Train to Bramalea, which has convenient Pearson connections.

Taking the GO 30 into account, you have three chances to take GO to the airport from Kitchener without the 40: the 5:49 train and the 7:10 train (both to Weston and then Union Pearson Express), and the GO at 7:51 transferring to Brampton Transit 115. That option gets you there at 9:50, although you may get stuck in traffic.

From the airport, you can take Brampton 115/GO 30 at 1:45->3:33; 3:15->5:36; and 6:40->8:36. The schedules don't really seem to line up well to make the 115 the connection of choice for the most part. If the 40 works I think it's way faster.
A fun little video re GO:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1&v=INDOZsn2G_s

In the words of Spokes: "This!"
Wow, that was fantastic!
Great video!

CTC signals seem to be active in Kitchener now, since Wednesday I believe.

(You know what I'd do with CTC? Two trains at the same time, man.)
(11-12-2015, 11:03 AM)kps Wrote: CTC signals seem to be active in Kitchener now, since Wednesday I believe.

(You know what I'd do with CTC? Two trains at the same time, man.)

That's actually quite exciting to hear! Maybe we won't be in the dark ages forever.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »