Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kitchener Council Election Discussion
Kitchener Council Election Discussion

Running for Mayor:
Glenn-Graham, Daniel
Martin, Peter
Miladinovic, Slavko
Rhodes, James
Vrbanovic, Berry

Running in Ward 1:
Allerton, Niki
Davey, Scott
Drasdo, Marcus
Riehl, Wayne

Running in Ward 2:
Cage, Steven
Graham, Dan
Letizi, Chris
Rahimi, Wasai
Schnider, Dave
Zeilstra, Grayson

Running in Ward 3:
Gazzola, John

Running in Ward 4:
Buchholtz, Wayne
Fernandes, Yvonne
Malthaner, Rolf

Running in Ward 5:
Galloway-Sealock, Kelly
Henein Thorn, Mary
Malik, Lala
Wharton, Trysha

Running in Ward 6:
Bongelli, Steve
de Zoysa, Dudley
Kampijan, Wanda
Sawyer, Verne
Singh, Paul

Running in Ward 7:
Drewitz, Harald
Ioannidis, Bil
Mazhar, Fauzia

Running in Ward 8:
Bohner, Eric
Janecki, Zyg
Johnston, Margaret

Running in Ward 9:
Etherington, Frank
Jennison, Tessa
Ross, Terry
Strohack, Steve
Windley, Michael

Running in Ward 10:
Howe, James
Kochanski, Adam
Korschewitz, Gabriele
Marsh, Sarah

My hope is that we can create a comprehensive list of candidates in each thread for the upcoming election. Please post any candidates you know are running for office in the appropriate thread. Thanks!
Here are a couple useful links to the City of Kitchener website.

2014 Election splash page

Who's running
An interesting tweet coming out of last night's council meeting last night:

Quote:Terry Ross ‏@TerryWard_9

Councillors should not be tweeting during council meeting. @HeatherAbrey see BV

What do you think? Should councillors be tweeting during meetings?
Does anyone know anything much about the Kitchener mayoral candidates? I believe that Daniel Glenn-Graham is the chap who, as ward alderman, staked out a spot at the Kitchener Market every Saturday, which is to his credit. A couple of downtown merchants have commented favourably to me about Berry Vrbanovic. Peter Martin I know only by reputation and I admire the way he stuck with the Downtown for so many years, but I've heard that his personality might not be the most suited to municipal politics. The other two are unknown to me.

I hope to attend at least a couple of candidates debates, but any info, comments or advice?
http://www.reddit.com/r/kitchener/comme ... tion_race/

All I learned about mayoral candidate Slavko Miladinovic, I learned from Reddit.
Me again.

To nobody's surprise, we are running some all-candidates meetings.

- Wed, Oct 8, 7-9pm: Kitchener Ward 9
- Tues, Oct 15, 7-9pm: Kitchener Ward 10
- Wed, Oct 22, 7-9pm: Kitchener Mayor

We are doing Kitchener Regional Council too, but I will post that in the appropriate thread.

They will be held at the Queen Street Commons, 43 Queen Street South, Kitchener

Also, it looks like the Social Planning Council is keeping track of all-candidates meetings this election: http://www.waterlooregion.org/municipal-elections-2014

I just realized that I may need to vote in the advance poll. If anyone else in in the same position, here is the information from the City's website.
Election day is Monday, Oct. 27, 2014 from 10 a.m.- 8 p.m.

Advance Voting

•All eligible electors may vote at an advance vote at any one of the following community centres, on the dates and at the times specified below:
◦Dates and times: ◾Wednesday, Oct. 15 - 2 - 8 p.m.
◾Thursday, Oct. 16 - 2 - 8 p.m.
◾Friday, Oct. 17 - 2 - 8 p.m.
◾Saturday, Oct. 18 - 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.

Community Centre Locations:
•City Hall - 200 King St. W.
•Country Hills - 100 Rittenhouse Rd.
•Doon Pioneer Park - 150 Pioneer Dr.
•Forest Heights - 1700 Queen's Blvd.
•Stanley Park - 505 Franklin St. N.

Accessible vote tabulators will be available at all six locations during the advance vote.
(09-16-2014, 10:40 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Does anyone know anything much about the Kitchener mayoral candidates?  I believe that Daniel Glenn-Graham is the chap who, as ward alderman, staked out a spot at the Kitchener Market every Saturday, which is to his credit.  A couple of downtown merchants have commented favourably to me about Berry Vrbanovic.  Peter Martin I know only by reputation and I admire the way he stuck with the Downtown for so many years, but I've heard that his personality might not be the most suited to municipal politics.  The other two are unknown to me.

I hope to attend at least a couple of candidates debates, but any info, comments or advice?
(10-04-2014, 12:35 PM)AChairwhoCares Wrote:
(09-16-2014, 10:40 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Does anyone know anything much about the Kitchener mayoral candidates?  I believe that Daniel Glenn-Graham is the chap who, as ward alderman, staked out a spot at the Kitchener Market every Saturday, which is to his credit.  A couple of downtown merchants have commented favourably to me about Berry Vrbanovic.  Peter Martin I know only by reputation and I admire the way he stuck with the Downtown for so many years, but I've heard that his personality might not be the most suited to municipal politics.  The other two are unknown to me.

Thinking a few things, maybe the personality of the politicians is a problem! What personality type do you think a politician needs to be? And Daniel Glenn-Gramham is the chap who is always at the market and in fact, always a lot of places, just helping people quietly behind the scenes, in concrete caring ways. I have seen him in odd places, where politicians don't generally go. He is a Humanitarian first, in my personal opinion. @achairwhocares
James Rhodes has withdrawn from the mayoral race and thrown his support to Dan Glenn-Graham.  The race just got more interesting, I think.
Rhodes threw his support to Glenn-Graham? Rhodes is a fiscal conservative. That was interesting.
Ya definitely interesting as to who he gave his support to.

Clearly a two horse race that'll come down to the very end.

Apparently, Glenn-Graham's comments during the debates, and a private conversation between them, convinced Rhodes that there was not much difference between their positions and he didn't want to split the vote.

I have had trouble trying to figure out if Vrbanovic or Glenn-Graham was the more "progressive" candidate, so I guess it's Vrbanovic.
Glenn-Graham was Stephen Woodworth's official agent in 2011. Stephen Woodworth, the Conservative MP for Kitchener Centre who used his chance at a private members bill to introduce an anti-abortion bill.

Glenn-Graham has donated over $1000 to the Conservative Party.

He may be progressive on some issues, but clearly he's backing the blue team.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »