Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vogue Residences (née District Condos) | 21 + 14 fl | U/C
(10-06-2015, 01:06 PM)zanate Wrote: My god! It ate the house!

Seriously, that looks bizarre to me. Smile

I have to agree - I think it looks a bit weird.  Certainly it would be cheaper to relocate it somewhere wouldn't it?  

I would assume they have to remove it to build and then put it back anyways?

I want to go back in time with a copy of that render and show it to the person who originally built that house, just to see the expression on their face.
Will the house and the space in the glass box have some purpose perhaps? Like a café or restaurant?
The house would make a great restaurant or pub, the year-round outdoor patio would be a neat feature.
The house will be part of the lobby...
What are everyone's thoughts on this project overall?
(10-06-2015, 04:47 PM)insider Wrote: The house will be part of the lobby...

I like the idea of incorporating the house, but this project as a whole seems a little off the mark. In fact, I think it even tips toward ugly for me although I would reserve that judgment until I see the materials used. Basically, I would have preferred a design closer to Crown on King or K2 instead of this...even with the unique addition of the "historic" house element.
This design is summed up in three words for me. Busy & Bad Colours. I do like the left side of the front of the building but the rest is just not particularly attractive.

I'll admit I'm not sure what I think of it. A lot will depend on the colours and materials used. At least it is interesting compared to most buildings in town.

Given the number of units (my calculations have it at approx. 250) I assume this is not student housing?
(10-06-2015, 08:12 PM)Harry Wrote: Given the number of units (my calculations have it at approx. 250) I assume this is not student housing?

There's a lot more info on the city's page for the zone change application. It is mostly 1-bedroom units and not student housing, but it's expected that a lot of the interest would still be from students.
(10-06-2015, 09:09 PM)mpd618 Wrote:
(10-06-2015, 08:12 PM)Harry Wrote: Given the number of units (my calculations have it at approx. 250) I assume this is not student housing?

There's a lot more info on the city's page for the zone change application. It is mostly 1-bedroom units and not student housing, but it's expected that a lot of the interest would still be from students.

I.e, student housing that some others (very few I imagine) might be interested in.
If the building is attractive and reasonably priced, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to attract other young people as well. It's a step up from the typical shared student accommodations, and very accessible to uptown (and downtown using the LRT).
(10-06-2015, 09:28 PM)tomh009 Wrote: If the building is attractive and reasonably priced, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to attract other young people as well.  It's a step up from the typical shared student accommodations, and very accessible to uptown (and downtown using the LRT).

You may be right but I'd be sceptical that anyone would buy a condo as a primary residence knowing that the building will be predominately student renters.  Attractive to investors, perhaps, but not my idea of a formula for a successful condo.
(10-06-2015, 09:20 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I.e, student housing that some others (very few I imagine) might be interested in.

They're essentially going to be rental units, quite possibly furnished. Beyond students, I think that would appeal to people like postdocs, visiting professors, and new faculty. Moreover, there are a fair number of other employers within walking distance - at King / University, on Weber Street, in uptown Waterloo, etc. This is a great location for someone either studying or working nearby, as there are a lot of amenities within walking distance.

(10-06-2015, 08:55 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: I think they were taking comments on this yesterday. I wonder if local opposition materialized, along lines I'd heard circulating, suggesting that it would cast too much shadow on the school, making it dangerous, and create unacceptable traffic, endangering the children.

[Image: Think-of-the-Children.jpg]
(10-06-2015, 04:47 PM)insider Wrote: The house will be part of the lobby...

I like a few things about it.  I like the incorporation of the building.  I like the massing.

The finishes could be better.  But I'll reserve judgement.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »